Relay help... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Relay help...

Hello friends, just finishing up this round of mods to my Exige. I've installed a water pump for my charge cooling system and I'm now wiring it up. It's literally the last step before putting the rear clam back on, filling her up with fluids, and driving off.

BOE provided me with a 3-drop relay with wiring harness for the pump but no directions. I'm handy with a wrench but a veritable n00b when it comes to electrical business so I'm not quite sure what goes where. I've attached a photo of the harness and you'll see I need help identifying one wire and its purpose.

I tried emailing BOE but they are unresponsive at the moment. If @turbophil can chime in that would be awesome, as well.
Attached Images

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 10:59 AM
Addict

Garage
That looks like the relay they supply with their fuel surge tank and the fan for the rear mount oil coolers. I believe that is the power supply to turn on the relay. Do you happen to have either of these BOE products already installed? If so you can put that into the connector there as it has 3 places for that pin and usually only one is used. You could also wire it to a toggle type of switch to power on manually or some other "key" on power source.

Edit: start on page 14 of this https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qbh67pc0y...ankV2.pdf?dl=0 or 3 of this https://www.dropbox.com/s/3x8w21u3hj...%20V2.pdf?dl=0

Last edited by LostPawn; 07-13-2018 at 11:09 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 11:28 AM
Nein Kinder

@Butters - I know you’re looking for the function of that black wire . . . I can’t tell from the picture and don’t have any documentation to look at. Relays usually have standard markings: here is a good explanation of the markings you’ll see if you pull the relay out of the holder and flip it over.

If you look at the referenced page and then examine your relay, tell us what terminals are present, which one the the black wire connects to and take a picture of any wiring diagram printed on the relay (or give us the manufacturer name and part number).

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 11:44 AM

It should be the "trigger" signal. that closes the relay, and lets it power up what ever it's running. The signal can be a positive input, or a ground, depending on how the relay is wired up; (they work either way). Hopefully Phil will pop on here, and let you know where the signal should be coming from.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 11:47 AM

I believe that it goes to the switch that senses when the car has been in an accident. There is probably another harness that connects this in series with that plug?

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

@LostPawn I actually do have their surge tank installed. I will take a look through their install documentation and see if anything helps.

The relay that is currently installed for my surge tank is pretty simple. It's a 1-drop relay. The wiring that goes to the tank itself has two wires for the connector and one wire that goes to the inertia switch. Then there is power and ground (bulkhead 12v distribution block, and bulkhead ground distribution location). And finally, the fuse. I'm actually not sure how this relay is triggered as it doesn't seem to have a trigger wire like the new 3-drop harness does. Admittedly, I have no idea what I'm talking about so I could be helplessly wrong here.

Furthermore, @LostPawn , after looking at the install manual for their surge tank, I do INDEED have their Expansion Harness as described on Page 13. If that's the case, then the install makes total sense now.

Please check my knowledge on this, though: If this relay can drive three components and it is wired up to the inertia switch, does this mean that when the inertia switch is tripped, all three devices hooked up to this relay will power off? I realize I probably answered my own question as I typed that out but I just want to be schooled here a bit just to be sure.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
@Butters - I know you’re looking for the function of that black wire . . . I can’t tell from the picture and don’t have any documentation to look at. Relays usually have standard markings: here is a good explanation of the markings you’ll see if you pull the relay out of the holder and flip it over.

If you look at the referenced page and then examine your relay, tell us what terminals are present, which one the the black wire connects to and take a picture of any wiring diagram printed on the relay (or give us the manufacturer name and part number).

Glen
Glen, thanks for your reply. Always very very helpful. I think I've figured it out.

However, I am still in the dark about how everything is triggered. The black wire goes to the inertia switch and intercepts the stock harness. My question is: how is the relay energized? Is the 12v junction box on the bulkhead a switched power source?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
@LostPawn I actually do have their surge tank installed. I will take a look through their install documentation and see if anything helps.

The relay that is currently installed for my surge tank is pretty simple. It's a 1-drop relay. The wiring that goes to the tank itself has two wires for the connector and one wire that goes to the inertia switch. Then there is power and ground (bulkhead 12v distribution block, and bulkhead ground distribution location). And finally, the fuse. I'm actually not sure how this relay is triggered as it doesn't seem to have a trigger wire like the new 3-drop harness does. Admittedly, I have no idea what I'm talking about so I could be helplessly wrong here.

Furthermore, @LostPawn , after looking at the install manual for their surge tank, I do INDEED have their Expansion Harness as described on Page 13. If that's the case, then the install makes total sense now.

Please check my knowledge on this, though: If this relay can drive three components and it is wired up to the inertia switch, does this mean that when the inertia switch is tripped, all three devices hooked up to this relay will power off? I realize I probably answered my own question as I typed that out but I just want to be schooled here a bit just to be sure.
If you already have that drop to the inertia switch you can just wire this to that. Probably easier then removing that and then using their plug adapter. They changed the style of the relays and how they connect to the inertia switch at some point.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 12:03 PM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post

If you have the prior version of the relay with only the 1-drop to power the surge tank, you can simply remove that relay and replace it with the 3-drop relay to power the surge tank and your water pump, pending enough room for your wires to reach everything (and assuming your new water pump doesn't draw too much power to run with the fuel pump). But yes, if the inertia switch is tripped it will shutoff everything wired into it on that relay.

You can also just add the new relay and keep the existing one. There should be a connector between the surge tank relay and the inertia switch with three openings for a pin, you can insert the new pin into one of the unused holes (should be two unused holes that might have white plugs in them).
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Ah, man. Thank you guys so much, @LostPawn @kfennell @Glen @tomrev for all your responses! Super helpful. I should be able to move forward now with this knowledge. Smarter everyday!

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 12:11 PM
Addict

Garage
Here is the connector that should have two open holes to insert the wire with the pin connector on the end.
Attached Images

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 02:25 AM
Stealthy Blackmobile

oh man thread revival anybody know where it Fuel Pump Relay is located ?

urgent !

"...Make Every Road Your Own....."
2007 Lotus Exige S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in