Retrofit 08 Instrument Cluster? - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliex View Post
The 08 cluster can show 180MPH too, so its not a waste of time, well at least for those that can reach/ exceed that speed
There is no way the speedo can ever indicate 180 mph. The maximum will be 255 kph + speedo error, just over 160mph.

Packet corrections:

Code:
m_CAN08_BFa

unsigned char m_Shift:3;  /// shift lights
unsigned char m_MIL:1;    /// fault
unsigned char m_Oil:1;     /// oil warning
unsigned char m_TC:1;    /// TC
unsigned char m_TPMC:1; // tire pressure
unsigned char m_Config:1; /// localisation bitCode:
Code:
m_CAN08_BFb

unsigned char m_Service1:1; /// service light 1
unsigned char m_NA:3;
unsigned char m_CoolantWarn:1; /// over temperature
unsigned char m_FogLights:1; /// fog light  open circuit
unsigned char m_Service2:1; /// service light 2
I can only get the service light if a mask of 0x41 is used. I can't get the fog light bit to do anything.

2005 Elise with Honda engine
Please don't PM me - this forum is no longer usable and I do not monitor it.
It was fun while it lasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 02:54 PM
OSX Black hat

The ecu can be configured to send out the speed byte in MPH as well as KPH, (i assume!) they did this to cut down the number of clusters they'd have to build. so with one byte it can send from 0 to 255 MPH

I'll recheck the fog light, but i dont have an 08 cluster yet, so i'm just going off the code.

i skipped the tpms in the first bitfield, i wrote up a long post the first time, and was fiddling with a device driver at the same time, never a good idea , so i kinda hurriedly retyped it after the machine rebooted, sorry about that!

Black Exige S / Elan M100. Don't run a smaller pulley without an upgraded fuel pump! http://www.goth.am ecu stuff.. New reflash box coming soon!

Last edited by charliex; 01-19-2009 at 03:22 PM.
post #63 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Inactive

Both my clusters (05 and now 08) receive the speed in kph as a byte. eg if I send 100 decimal, the speedometer shows 62 mph + lotus optimistic fudge factor. Setting the localisation bit of the 08 cluster just changes the temp display. BTW the 08 cluster is more accurate - about 1.5 mph over at all speeds, whereas the 05 cluster was a constant 8% over.

post #64 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 07:35 PM
OSX Black hat

default is always kph, there is lots of functionality in the ecu thats not used,the c/f switch is based off the vin.

thats good to know then, its about time it was fixed.

i'd imagine they're trying to cut down the number of options and share more components with the evora too.

Black Exige S / Elan M100. Don't run a smaller pulley without an upgraded fuel pump! http://www.goth.am ecu stuff.. New reflash box coming soon!
post #65 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 10:24 AM

2008 Exige still optimistic at around 8.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstevens View Post
Both my clusters (05 and now 08) receive the speed in kph as a byte. eg if I send 100 decimal, the speedometer shows 62 mph + lotus optimistic fudge factor. Setting the localisation bit of the 08 cluster just changes the temp display. BTW the 08 cluster is more accurate - about 1.5 mph over at all speeds, whereas the 05 cluster was a constant 8% over.
This has not been my experience. Using a GPS device, my 2008 Exige still shows an optimistic speed of about 8%.

Regarding the box, please make it fit the new dash as well! I want to simulate correct tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) signals. I swap wheels and do not have the pressure sensors in all of them. It is not just a matter of extinguishing the TPMS trouble light. I hate it when the dash takes over the fuel gauge area every 30 seconds to inform me about the TPMS fault. I KNOW!

I am willing to pay $200 or even more if I can fix the optimistic speedometer and TMPS problems.

Michael

www.sandsmuseum.com
antique coin op repair
post #66 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Inactive

I'm only testing one half of the speedo - from the ecu to the cluster. If the ecu is sending the wrong speed to the cluster, then the speedo will still be wrong. For me, this is not an issue, as I can ensure the edu outputs the correct speed for the cluster.

post #67 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 12:52 PM
OSX Black hat

rob's the one building the box.

There are no pressure sensors in the wheels.

post #68 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 03:00 PM

There are pressure sensors in my wheels...

Charlie,

Yes, I know Rob is building the box. I was just hoping I could add some features or he would enhance the box for those of us that have 2008 new dashes and want to change the signals.

I am not sure what you meant by your comment, "There are no pressure sensors in the wheels. " Unfortunately my wheels do have pressure sensors attached, four to be exact, one for each wheel. My understanding is that tire pressure monitoring sensors are now required in all 2008 cars. You are correct in that they are not "in" the wheel, rather they replace the Schrader valve.

Lotus implementation seems to be smart, in that the system can discover which tire is low and can sync up with new sensors or sensors that have moved to a different position. Not sure how unless the signal is weak and the antenna at each corner of the car can discern the strongest as being the nearest.

Michael

www.sandsmuseum.com
antique coin op repair
post #69 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 05:07 PM

Charlie & Rob, Excellent progress. I would like to utilize the V! feature and the tire pressure bit too. Charlie do you need the 08 Cluster to finalize details? Or would it be best passed to Rob? Or Both? I can purchase one and get it to you. Thanks, Rob T.

2005 Elise Starlight Black
1991 Elan Monaco White
1973 Triumph Stag, second owner.
1975 XJ12C Jaguar pillarless coupe.
1960 Daimler Limo, drives great look like hell, project in the works.
post #70 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 05:07 PM
OSX Black hat

Really ? , the TPMS i'd seen measures the rotational speed of the wheels via the ABS sensors to determine which ones low ? I know there are schrader types ones, but i haven't seen any on the lotus yet, and i hadn't seen any on the circuit diagrams. I'd always wondered if the ABS style ones weren't much good, i guess i know now., cheers for the info.

I've yet to play around much with the 08 cars, so i'm lagging behind on some of the info, too attached to my 07 S

Also i can delete the TPMS for you, but you'd need a reflash, rob could filter out the message instead,

BM, as much as i'd like one to play with, i think rob would be the best choice.

Last edited by charliex; 01-24-2009 at 05:12 PM.
post #71 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 05:19 PM

Perhaps the TPMS delete is the way to go and keep things simple. I will be here at some point be seeking you out for a reflash as I have been working with Phil for the new supercharger kit for my 05. I know what you mean about liking you 07. I have an early 05 and have been thrilled with it every step of the way. Makes me miss my 99 Elise S1 less and less. I will PM rob and see if he is ready for the new cluster unit. Many Many Thanks.

1991 Elan Monaco White
post #72 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 05:21 PM
OSX Black hat

I dunno if i'd want to give up the S1 someone around recently picked one up for a very reasonable price.

I just keep adding the 08 bits onto my 07, though i don't think tpms is going to be one of them, especially now i know they're schraders, and i have cup wheels.

post #73 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsmuseum View Post
Charlie,

Yes, I know Rob is building the box. I was just hoping I could add some features or he would enhance the box for those of us that have 2008 new dashes and want to change the signals.

I am not sure what you meant by your comment, "There are no pressure sensors in the wheels. " Unfortunately my wheels do have pressure sensors attached, four to be exact, one for each wheel. My understanding is that tire pressure monitoring sensors are now required in all 2008 cars. You are correct in that they are not "in" the wheel, rather they replace the Schrader valve.

Lotus implementation seems to be smart, in that the system can discover which tire is low and can sync up with new sensors or sensors that have moved to a different position. Not sure how unless the signal is weak and the antenna at each corner of the car can discern the strongest as being the nearest.

Michael
yes, all of the requested features can be implemented, even just using the module on 08 cars as a V1 display, speed corrector, and tpms bypass. I should have some beta units ready to go this coming week.
post #74 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 07:49 AM
OSX Black hat

rob, you need anything else for it?

some detail pics of the connectors on the 08 cluster would be cool when you get it!

post #75 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Inactive

Do you mean the vehicle connectors or cluster connector? I have the 08 cluster now, and install it into my car next week.

post #76 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliex View Post
rob, you need anything else for it?

some detail pics of the connectors on the 08 cluster would be cool when you get it!
I should be good on the data format.. anything else we can work out in testing. when I get a look at the new cluster i will document the connectors and check with my source at amp/tyco (assuming they still make the connectors for the cluster). I remember you saying that the original plugs for the 05 cluster came up as protected parts ao we will probably need to do a splice and solder job to switch in the 08 cluster. More importantly we are going to need the plugs that mate with the 08 cluster.

If anyone out there has an 08 with the cluster open right now can the take pics of the plugs that go into the cluster...

One more thing... Im writing the code so that 05's will have functional progressive shift lights... what rpm's do the shift lights function at on the 08 models?
post #77 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 07:36 AM
OSX Black hat

dstevens, yeah the connectors on the cluster are fine if you can.

rob, I'll check.

its the ecu connectors that are protected, the cluster ones are ok

post #78 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:35 AM
Inactive

2008 cluster connector

I'll take another photo when it is off the bench and the wires are out of the way.
Attached Images

post #79 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:40 AM

cluster retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob13572468 View Post
I should be good on the data format.. anything else we can work out in testing. when I get a look at the new cluster i will document the connectors and check with my source at amp/tyco (assuming they still make the connectors for the cluster). I remember you saying that the original plugs for the 05 cluster came up as protected parts ao we will probably need to do a splice and solder job to switch in the 08 cluster. More importantly we are going to need the plugs that mate with the 08 cluster.

If anyone out there has an 08 with the cluster open right now can the take pics of the plugs that go into the cluster...

One more thing... Im writing the code so that 05's will have functional progressive shift lights... what rpm's do the shift lights function at on the 08 models?
Rob is there anything else you might need? Do you need another 08 cluster for the testing and set up? I can get mine to you if that works for you. Happy to help be the test subject. I am ready for the added V1 and the tire pressure delete and the adjust on the speed. Thanks, Rob T

1991 Elan Monaco White
post #80 of 208 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Location: 33.87S 151.21E Car: ロータス MKII エキシージ Type: Komo-Tec S300
Good stuff champs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in