I'm looking at audio upgrade options on a 2006 Elise and am struggling to find something that doesn't have scrolling LED text. Do respectable-looking units still exist? Am I looking in the wrong places?
I've read tons of threads on the forum, paying close attention to the ones from the last 5 years. Nearly every option I have found appears to be no longer in production and no longer available on Amazon/Ebay. Seriously, this segment of the automotive audio market seems to have died real quick (understandably).
Last time, I had a Sony DSXS310BTX head unit, (4) JL Audio speakers, a Kenwood KSC-SW11 (self-powered), and an Alpine Power Pack shoved behind the head unit. I liked this setup and would replicate if I could. I would also consider a proper 5-channel amp to power everything, but that would probably require a custom sub enclosure and wiring to/from the trunk.
Budget for the whole project is under $1k, and I intend to perform the full install myself. Unfortunately, the Tesla double din upgrade is too pricey. I also don't need Sat radio or a CD/DVD drive - all of my music is on Spotify, and I have an old iPhone that I can hide somewhere in the car.
Here are the few options I have been able to come up with:
- Double din units with a single din chassis are an interesting option, but I can't figure out how to search for them beyond this one installed by a fellow LT member. Even the product description page doesn't mention this feature, I had to find a youtube video to confirm it: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f13...d-unit-424370/
- A 'marine' head unit - example here:
- Never head of Soundstream, but this might be an option: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_530VR3...-VR-345XB.html
- Similar JVC option to the Soundstream: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDA...KD-AV41BT.html
- Delete the H/U altogether and permanently mount the old iPhone: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f13...0/#post5535618
Any other suggestions are more than welcome - bonus points for photos of your system!