Switch pack module: any problems? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
David, thanks for posting these photo's of the mysterious SPM, and it is more complex than shown in the wiring diagram.
I keep my headlights on during the day to make me more visible even though I don't have DRL.
Michael

Yes I had chosen that route intially, but I am now on my 3rd set of headlight bulbs in less then a year, from instances where the SPM went crazy flicking the lights on and off, or one comes on but not the other. So I decided since I do most of my driving during the the day, that I would save my self the trouble (and embarrasment) of having misbehaving headlights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepe View Post
Did you draw this conclusion on your own?
Did you have the bulb and switch pack replaced?
-Robert
I took it to the dealer because a low beam was out. They went all through the wiring and couldn't find anything wrong. I took it home and did the same thing and came to the same conclusion. After doing some homework on this site, I brought it back in to the dealership and told them to replace the switch pack module. They did and it worked.

2005 SY-REV310 Supercharger, clam hinge, 2bular 8" single tip exhaust, 2bular header, Ohlin Double Adjustables, RTDbrace, Custom Kirkey 58 Series seats, Schroth 6 pt. harnesses, Multivex mirrors, Race battery, Micromirror, HID's, V2arms, Sparco removeable steering wheel, Volk CE28N's with Hoosier R7's, Pagid RS 14 pads, Cup airbox, catch cans, Ultradiscs, gPan, splitter, canards, Reverie wing, 6 element diffuser, proRad
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 04:13 AM

I don't know if both the low beams went out at the same time or not. I got in my car one night and no low beams. It had been a few weeks since I've driven the car. I assumed that it was anything other than the bulbs. I looked at the wiring diagram and everything was working except for the low beams. I replaced them and for now everything is fine.

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlotus View Post
I don't know if both the low beams went out at the same time or not. I got in my car one night and no low beams. It had been a few weeks since I've driven the car. I assumed that it was anything other than the bulbs. I looked at the wiring diagram and everything was working except for the low beams. I replaced them and for now everything is fine.
Quite a coincidence if they both went out at the same time, who would think
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
Quite a coincidence if they both went out at the same time, who would think
Bumping old thread to add a data point:

I often drive at night and know for sure that both low beams were fine last week. Then after a few days of daytime-only driving I discovered on a dusky drive home that both low beams were suddenly out. I found it suspicious that they'd both burn out at the same time, especially since they've been replaced at different intervals in the past -- but sure enough I pulled one of the bulbs today and it's definitely blown. I'm waiting for the replacement bulbs before opening up the other side, but I assume it's the same.

This is not the first weird thing to happen to them, though. The last time my right low beam went out I had assumed it had just blown out normally. Then one night there was a sudden ridiculously strong downpour while I was on the Interstate, and while the inch or so of standing water was blasting up into the wheel well (that was easily the scariest drive I've had in the car) the light came back on.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 11:15 AM

Ive had my Elise since May and this is the 3rd time its pulled a wobbly! I cannot stress how angry I am with this car, almost to the point of putting it up for sale!

Anyhow!

I have a problem with the lights and radio. Firstly the Radio is dead. Secondly is the main beam, when the beams are switched on they do not work, though when you 'flash them' then they do come on.

Suggestions?

Im hoping its the fuse rather than the SPM though its dark here now and cannot investigate under the bonnet...

Cheers
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 11:25 AM

The radio is protected by fuse F11 and C3, nothing to do with the SPM.
The high beams are protected by fuses F20 and F21.
High beam flashing uses fuse F8.
If all fuses are Ok, I would suspect the SPM.
Sorry,
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipper84 View Post
Ive had my Elise since May and this is the 3rd time its pulled a wobbly! I cannot stress how angry I am with this car, almost to the point of putting it up for sale!

Anyhow!

I have a problem with the lights and radio. Firstly the Radio is dead. Secondly is the main beam, when the beams are switched on they do not work, though when you 'flash them' then they do come on.

Suggestions?

Im hoping its the fuse rather than the SPM though its dark here now and cannot investigate under the bonnet...

Cheers
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 12:21 PM

Thats why I was confused about the radio. These problems started after the car was dead this morning and required a jump start.... Im hoping it is the resistors, though rather strange how they all went at once and the battery died?

*****UPDATE*****

I incorrectly described what isnt working on the car, the radio is dead and the fog, dipped & main beams do not work when they are turned on. They only work if the main beams are flashed.

Would this still come as a fuse or relay issue as all the bulbs are working?

Last edited by dipper84; 09-26-2011 at 12:31 AM.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:32 AM

had a look at the car last night, completely dead! once i hooked it up to another car it let me in and I started it and everything was working fine!

4am this morning it decided to wake the whole street up... 8am this morning it was dead yet again. Jumped it and the radio didnt work again, all the lights were fine.

After looking at the relays last night (whist having the fuse box wiki in my hand) I found that my car has a relay in socket 4 (3 is blank) what could this be for?!
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 05:14 PM

Garage
Does anyone find it frustrating that the dealer doesn't know about this issue when it is so common? We have to come home read the forums and then tell the dealer to change out the SPM...
daehimeh likes this.
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 02:31 PM

Anyone know if the switch pack could also be the source of the trip counter button not doing anything? I checked the button itself and it has both voltage and continuity when pressed, but for some reason it doesn't reset the milage or dim the backlight at all.
post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 08:26 AM

Garage
Just replaced my SPM. Only took about 1/2 hour. Took instrument cluster cowling off and the instrument cluster. The SPM is behind. No need to remove the entire dash.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 02:10 PM

so where can we buy this mysterious SPM?
for those that have to replace them outside of warranty, how much does it cost?
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 06:43 PM

I bought a replacement a few months ago from Lotus of Greenville but have since heard that they are a bit hard to come by. I have my old one, only thing wrong with it is it won't operate the recirculate circuit for the a/c (which many people don't care about anyway). All other circuits function fine as far as I could tell. I'll give it away if someone wants it for cost of shipping.

'05 Elise, LRG/biscuit, LSS, Touring, LSD/TC
'07 Toyota FJ, Voodoo Blue, 6spd manual, FT 4WD
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 03:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch2 View Post
Just replaced my SPM. Only took about 1/2 hour. Took instrument cluster cowling off and the instrument cluster. The SPM is behind. No need to remove the entire dash.
Any chance you could do a simple write of how you did it?

My recirculate button has never worked since I got the car so I'm assuming it's the SPM unless anyone has other ideas to check. I'm toying with the idea of replacing it, just not sure if it's worth it.

"Is it a subtle orange?" um......

2005 Elise - Chrome Orange
2017 Focus RS - Nitrous Blue
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 04:26 AM
MI7

Hi
my main beam suddenly dead last night, find out it is the SPM issue. the main problem is the connector goes to the SPM is melted with the module, have to use a serious force to disconnect it. ordering a new SPM is easy, but where I can get a new connector ?

post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 06:11 AM

Anyone have old, dead, SPM's laying around?

Blackwatch - Black Emblems, Penske SA|Radium - Catch Cans, Coolant Tank, Intercooler Couplers, Green Ti Lug Bolts, Fuel Hose, Fuel Pressure Gauge|RLS - Green Intercooler Tubes|Mororso Hard Ano Red Baffled Oil Pan|Shift-I|BOE ProAlloy, BOELinks, Diffuser Brace, Quarter Stick|S111 BBHook, Spal Fans, Floormats|Fast Toys Green Carpet Buttons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in