Switch Pack Module Failure... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Switch Pack Module Failure...

Well it finally happened... seems like my switch pack is on the fritz. The parking lights/tail lights/dash lights won't light up on my 2005 Elise. I haven't check the fuse (16) which I will - but I'm expecting the worst.

For the past couple of years I've had LED rings connected the parking lights. Does anyone think that the LED rings caused the switch pack to fail? I know the switch patch module is destined to fail... but if the LED rings contributed, I want to take them off before I get a new module. Does the current drawn by the LEDs go through the switch pack?

Any recommendations on where to order a new switch pack module?
Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Arch. Project Manager

I doubt the LED's had anything to do with the failure. Their drawn current is much less than that of the OE incandescent bulbs. Also the switch pack failure will effect your A/C. My guess is its either a fuse or connection issue to affect both exterior lights and the dash light.

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.

Last edited by surferpkt; 04-11-2017 at 09:48 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks surferpkt for the response. The AC blows strong - therefore the switch pack is OK? The fuse checked out ok. Next I'll test the parking switch itself - gotta swap the LED in the engine switch that's gone dark.

Not sure what to look for after that...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 03:10 PM

Garage
Mine went out on my 05 Elise last month. Any idea where to find one, stateside?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 03:19 PM

When my switch pack gave issues, it was only one relay in the pack (side markers and gauge cluster backlight). I simply swapped an unused relay from another location in the switch pack and it was fixed. I also think it would be possible to use FETs in case too many relays fail and the appropriate double throw relay is not easily found.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f322...3/#post5032697
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
When my switch pack gave issues, it was only one relay in the pack (side markers and gauge cluster backlight). I simply swapped an unused relay from another location in the switch pack and it was fixed. I also think it would be possible to use FETs in case too many relays fail and the appropriate double throw relay is not easily found.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f322...3/#post5032697
This sounds like my issue (partial failure)... last night I hooked up my Battery Tender and the battery was so dead that the Tender did not register a voltage (red flashing light). I hooked up jumper cables and once connected, the tail lights/parking lights/dash lit up and wouldn't go out... I even pulled the parking light switch and they remained lit.

Sounds like a relay failure...??? I think I'll try to repair myself. I haven't tried to find a new pack yet.

Thanks Obeisance
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

My switch pack module is out!!! Nothing broken.

I'm going to try to replace the relay on the board. I ordered replacement relays or I don't have to un-solder two relays - I only have to replace the bad one... also replaced my engine switch LED bulb with a blue one... easy.

BTW has anyone relocated their switch pack? Seems like these's enough slack in the wire to get it behind the engine switch - should I ever need to access the pack again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
Mine went out on my 05 Elise last month. Any idea where to find one, stateside?
I bought a lot of relays (25) if you wanna pitch in, I'll ship you one.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in