White EL panel for gauge cluster modification. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Arch. Project Manager

White EL panel for gauge cluster modification.

This thread is to gauge interest for those wanting a white EL panel to replace your OE orange or yellow colored EL. This is a discussion only and depending on the interest and input gained here will allow us to weight our options and possibly peak a sponsors interest to put something together for those of us doing the gauge mods.

My guess is that the EL's will most likely run around a ~$100+/- a piece at 20 people depending on how much interest we gain.
*This is not a commitment nor a promise!
So who would like one if this became reality? Please add your name to list.

1. Surferpkt

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Terry

Definitely count me in, and I'm pretty sure Niral as well since he just asked me last week. I'll sign him up lol

1. Surferpkt
2. t955152
3. Niral_exige
post #3 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 07:05 PM

Thought we already had a thread for this, but regardless count me in!

1. Surferpkt
2. t955152
3. Niral_exige
4. 451

post #4 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Arch. Project Manager

Depending on how this discussion and topic develops, I did not want to risk losing yet another thread of great information.
If the list fills up add a spot. The more the interest the closer we will be to making this a reality! I'm speculating that we will need at least 20 people to be able to get this off the ground at a reasonable price.

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.
post #5 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Addict

Garage
I'm not sure I need an EL sheet but it would be nice to go with the gauges so I'm in. I would need those clear plastic holders that go around the needle base and hold the EL sheet as I broke both of mine.
post #6 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 08:42 PM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
I already have one that I made in 2007 but it would be cool to have one CAD designed and cut-to-spec... at the very least as a backup when I get around to actually doing the dash mod...

Thought we already had a thread for this, but regardless count me in!

1. Surferpkt
2. t955152
3. Niral_exige
4. 451
5. darkSol

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com) 388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1736lbs.
2018 Midnight Silver Tesla Model 3 Performance
2016 Machine Gray Metallic Mazda CX-9
post #7 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 09:44 PM

I'm in!

1. Surferpkt
2. t955152
3. Niral_exige
4. 451
5. darkSol
6. xvdarkyvx

2006 Aspen White Lotus Elise
post #8 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Arch. Project Manager

If we can reach at least 20 people we can most likely keep the cost reasonable and it would be a best case scenario. Obviously, less equals more, but not in a good way this time.

2005 BRP ELISE:
post #9 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 06:52 AM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
Do you have a prototype yet?

If so what's it look like illuminated as compared to the stock EL?

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com) 388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1736lbs.
2018 Midnight Silver Tesla Model 3 Performance
2016 Machine Gray Metallic Mazda CX-9
post #10 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 08:15 AM

I've been looking into this lately. Looks like the sheets aren't expensive. Only thing is that I'm not sure if the factory connector is an industry standard for EL panels or not.
post #11 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Arch. Project Manager

The problem with the standard sheets is that they require an electrical connection all the way around the perimeter with connections on multiple sides. From tests that have been done the standard sheets ideally require an external more powerful driver. This would require drilling through the cluster for all the additional wiring. Which I'd rather not do.
We should be able to come up with a solution similar to the OE EL, but to develop and run a relativity small batch with a company will cost too much for just one of us to take on alone. If we can get enough people together to make it happen at a reasonable price we will then get into specifics and see if we can make this a reality.

2005 BRP ELISE:
post #12 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 10:18 AM

Agreed. I spoke to a company that could do custom EL panels but was told that they charge a few hundred for the tooling. Which was why I started to look elsewhere for a solution.
post #13 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Arch. Project Manager

Also we would need to run a batch of 50 or so. Well there's not 50 of us currently. So what do we do with extra? If we can take on the startup costs we can then hand off the extra with profit left to be made, we all will win another product available for a complete package gauge mod!

2005 BRP ELISE:

Last edited by surferpkt; 10-29-2014 at 10:52 AM.
post #14 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Arch. Project Manager

Let's get some names on the list and give this project some hope!

2005 BRP ELISE:
post #15 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 10:55 AM
Terry

I will take 3 or 4 myself. So that makes it 10 total? How many more do we need to start this?
post #16 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 11:10 AM

I am in for one around the $100 mark

2006 Elise - Chili Red - VF Supercharged and Intercooled Stg 3 - PPE header - RC 550cc's - BOE surge tank and catch can -Nitron Triples - Nitron spherical bushings - V2 Arms- BWR Swaybar - Grey RAC Monolites(street), Volk CE28(track) -DBA 5000 w/CL 6 - HDSS - Fidanza Flywheel - Lowtush lip w/ nascar COT splitter - Craftsquare CF Mirrors - Reverie CF Diffuser - APR Side sills - BOE ST - VonHep Rear Panel - Chimera RBS - 55w 6k HID -Composite Worx Sp-1 seats -APR GTC-200
post #17 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 11:35 AM

1. Surferpkt
2. t955152
3. Niral_exige
4. 451
5. darkSol
6. xvdarkyvx
7. Skywagon
post #18 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 12:18 PM
not your dad's puns

I might be interested but would want to see an example.

because racecar
post #19 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 06:08 PM

I'll see if I can get some installed pics this weekend.. Ironically the EL driver in my cluster is bad, so I haven't been running one myself. I'll swap in a spare cluster to get it going though; I ran one for a week straight on the 'bench' with no issues though. I paid the $600 setup fee out-of-pocket to get samples made, but just don't have the spare cash to front for the minimum 100 piece run.. Price wise we need 22 people at $100 (+shipping) to make it happen with literally zero profit. I'd like to at least break even on the deal, but since I've already put in $600 we only need 16 more to have enough to place the order. If more people get in on it the price will go down. Supposedly 2 weeks to have them made. Actually the cost might be a couple $ more; the initial price they gave me was if I added the connectors myself. Since I don't have the $$$ crimper to do them, I had them add the right connector. The part is less than $1, but I'm not sure what they charge to crimp them on. I'll reach out and see if they're still interested in making them for the same cost.. It's been a couple months.

2005 Chrome Orange Elise
Mod list: Stainless shift knob.
post #20 of 189 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 07:20 PM

Put me down for one

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra -

2005 Elise #49
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in