White EL panel for gauge cluster modification. - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 08:16 AM

Damn it. Totally effed up by not jumping in on this... If someone has an extra or decides to resell theirs PM me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Arch. Project Manager

swbooking
Sent you a PM!

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.
post #83 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Arch. Project Manager

1. Surferpkt (PAID)

2. t955152 ()

3. Niral_exige ()

4. 451 (PAID)

5. darkSol (PAID)

6. xvdarkyvx ()

7. Skywagon (PAID)

8. Lostpawn (PAID)

9. Dephcon5 ()

10. Jeff_r1 (PAID)

11. turbopun ()

12. zender (PAID)

13. Nessal (PAID)

14. OGcorey ()

15. Riceburner98 (PAID)

16. Coyne ()

17. Pegasixi ()

18. Kamsden ()

19. HERMANtheSMASHER ()

20. eclipse19 ()

21. Donaldking ()

:::List Closed:::

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.

post #84 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 09:49 AM
Addict

Garage
Paypal sent. Any idea where I can get those clear rings that hold the EL sheet? If I have to open up this cluster again I want to replace as much at once as I can.
post #85 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Arch. Project Manager

Not sure about those rings, try PMing riceburner98. He may be able to help you.

2005 BRP ELISE:
post #86 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 10:15 AM

My car haven't been moved in the last month because the cluster is opened up and I don't want to reassemble it completely until I get all the parts. Have to fight the urge.

I also hate those clear rings. One of mine broke but having one on the RPM side holds it on just fine. You can use clear double sides tape on the EL sheet to the cluster surface to hold it in place and works fine.

I almost bought a 3D printer just to print that little piece because I'm a REAL stickler about having things done the right way...but Not going to throw down over 1k just yet for that little piece when a little bit of tape works just as well. Maybe when the prices come down a bit.
post #87 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Arch. Project Manager

How are those rings held in place that makes them break when removing? I have not gotten that far into my cluster yet.

2005 BRP ELISE:
post #88 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 10:27 AM

There are two plastic rings that retain the gauge face and EL sheet to the cluster housing itself. They go into the hole where the needle goes into. You need to be very careful when removing them. Harder done than said IMO. They are pretty delicate. What happens is if you are not careful, the upper rim that protrudes out will crack off rendering them useless.
Attached Images

post #89 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Arch. Project Manager

I wonder if Bob could print some up on his 3D printer in clear or white? No pressure Bob!

2005 BRP ELISE:
post #90 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 12:44 PM

LOL Unfortunately ours doesn't do clear, it's only the $50k one. You need the $80k one to print in polycarbonate. We also have an Objet printer, but I don't think we have clear material for it. I drew the ring for the '05s in SolidWorks and was going to try machining them on the lathe, but naturally never had time. The '07+ rings are different I believe, so I'm guessing the picture above is '07? The '05s have a series of ridges down the side rather than 1 big bump, and barely stay in on their own. Mine just about fall out if I turn the cluster over.

Shapeways has a semi-transparent printing material that may work, but it says 1mm wall thickness minimum. I don't have one in front of me, but I know that top thing is pretty thin.

"The Transparent Detail will actually arrive with a translucent finish. With hand polishing, however, a yellow transparency can be achieved. Please note, this material is brittle so the thinner you make the model, the more difficult it will be to polish without breaking your model."

I have mine double-sided taped down currently. (the EL sheet to the cluster, and the faceplate to the EL sheet) I haven't verified this, but it may even allow the needles to be a hair closer to the faceplate if the rings aren't present. (more space under the 'glass is preferred so the needles don't touch the underside of the glass..) Some seem OK, but others need a bit of extra silicone as a spacer, at least with the Harley needles.

2005 Chrome Orange Elise
Mod list: Stainless shift knob.
post #91 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 12:55 PM

Rice, I totally agree. I'm one of the few that have clearance issues even with the needle trimmed down pretty low. I was planning to use a little bit of silicone to use as a spacer and a sealer. The plastic retainer above is from my 2006 but the cluster has a build date in 2005. Not sure why they changed it up but mine locks in TIGHT so maybe that was what the revision is for.
post #92 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 01:12 PM

Wow.. Shows you how much I really know about the cluster builds.. I'd prefer that design over what's in the ones I have, but at the same time it sounds like the break by looking at them funny.. Pushing them out from the back after removing the needles and circuit board can help too.. Rather than trying to pry under the lip. The black things will stay clipped to the front of the housing. Although if you have the LED rings installed, that probably won't work so well since the wires will be pulled on..

2005 Chrome Orange Elise
Mod list: Stainless shift knob.
post #93 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Arch. Project Manager

White EL panel for gauge cluster modification.

1. Surferpkt (PAID)

2. t955152 ()

3. Niral_exige ()

4. 451 (PAID)

5. darkSol (PAID)

6. xvdarkyvx (PAID)

7. Skywagon (PAID)

8. Lostpawn (PAID)

9. Dephcon5 ()

10. Jeff_r1 (PAID)

11. turbopun ()

12. zender (PAID)

13. Nessal (PAID)

14. OGcorey ()

15. Riceburner98 (PAID)

16. Coyne (PAID)

17. Pegasixi ()

18. Kamsden (PAID)

19. HERMANtheSMASHER ()

20. eclipse19 (PAID)

21. Donaldking ()

:::List Closed:::

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2005 BRP ELISE:

Last edited by surferpkt; 11-06-2014 at 06:20 PM.
post #94 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Arch. Project Manager

We are just over half way there. Let's get these payments in so production can begin!

2005 BRP ELISE:

Last edited by surferpkt; 11-06-2014 at 06:21 PM.
post #95 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:56 PM

The list doesn't reflect that I paid.

2006 Aspen White Lotus Elise
post #96 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 06:03 PM

Same with me. Paid yesterday.
post #97 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Arch. Project Manager

Updated the list!

8 more to go...

2005 BRP ELISE:
post #98 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 06:51 PM
A Quality Human Being

Garage
Too late to get on this list?? I'm totally in if not!
post #99 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceburner98 View Post
Holy red panel Batman! I'm guessing that's printed on the panel and not a filter? That gives hope that a red filter might be found that works though!

Actually is that a red printed faceplate, or the orange EL sheet behind a white faceplate? It looks more orange on my PC monitor; last night when I saw it on the phone it was REEEEEEEED. Maybe because of the OLED screen and minimum brightness so as not to disturb the sleeping bosslady...
Hi Bob,

the first one is on the original 2007 EL panel
the 2nd one is on the one you made
the gauge face are both printed clear/white ish

also I think it is totally possible to get close to white. an EL sheet from ebay just arrived today and i plugged it in, guess what?! it's true white!! not sure how they achieve that but it is structurally just like the one you made. I think it probably has something to do with that pink sheet or maybe the power voltage? i am not sure, i am not an expert in this but check out the photos below! it is TRUE WHITE!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
post #100 of 189 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 07:12 PM

Payment sent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in