The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Adding Bluetooth to 2006 Exige Stock Radio

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Kimgt 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just a small write up on how I decided to add bluetooth capabilities to the stock Blaupaunkt head unit in my 2006 Exige. This is definitely not the best way but just the way I chose for my own reasons. Total cost was about $48 USD

I really wanted the ability to stream and CONTROL music from my phone without having to reach for the phone and going through the whole process of unlocking it, etc. I also wanted to have the latest bluetooth version to match with my Nexus 5 phone. My approach was to add an aux in and pair with the a bluetooth adapter that would not only allow me to stream music but adjust volume, change songs and answer calls without touching the phone.

I decided to use the Sony SBH20 since it was extremely simple with controls, has NFC for quick pairing (should my phone become disconnected) and allows for easy mounting.

What you'll need:
-Aux adapter for the Blaupaunkt Head Unit
-RCA to 3.5mm cable
-Stereo Bluetooth headset w/3.5mm audio out (Sony SBH20)
-Blaupaunkt HU removal tool (Wire hanger)

1) Remove head unit with the removal tool (on both sides) and add the AUX input adapter cable to the back of the head unit, I had to cut off a piece of plastic on the radio harness plug that was blocking off the AUX port.

2) Pull out the AC control panel and run the "RCA to 3.5mm" cable from the open head unit slot through to the gromment for the AC wires.

3) Connect the AUX adapter cable to the RCA-->3.5mm cable and allow for appropriate lengths on the 3.5mm side.

4) Push the harness wires back into the space and put the headunit into place, making sure you snap it back into place.

5) Find a spot for the cable to come through when the AC control panel is snapped back into place, then put the panel back.

you now have 3.5mm plug for AUX input.

6)take your charged Sony SBH20 and plug you cable into it, pair with your phone and you can wirelessly stream music to your radio.

I built a small stand that my SBH20 can clip onto out of sheet metal, I then wrapped it with some electrical tape to make the edges safe. This mounting position allows for easy reach for music controls.

photos of finished product:

Review: Works great for streaming my music/Pandora through bluetooth, I can pause and skip songs without unlocking the phone. There is some audio quality loss due to using the AUX input, so if you're comfortable listening to the radio at volume level 15, you may want to crank it up to 25 for Aux input. The Bluetooth unit has a power button so i can turn it off when I leave it in the car or unclip it and take it with me. Call quality is not the greatest while driving due to road noise, in the future i might mount the unit closer to the driver since it has the mic on it, there is also some slight echo due the the mic picking up the other person over the speakers. Overall I'm extremely happy with it, using it for answering calls was a distant second in priority, and i can at least pick up and let the person know I'll just call them back.

See less See more
#2 ·
I want to do something like this,
but I begin wonder if upgrading to a worth while headunit is a better idea(with rear view camera, etc),
then again I'd have to upgrade the speakers since the stock ones suck anyway,
but then I have to wonder if trying to listen to any kind of music at all is worth the effort since the car's so loud. :facepalm:

How is the BT unit powered?

#4 ·
UPDATE: Blaupankt Ipod adapter with Bluetooth (30-pin) adapter

I was ok with the AUX in setup, but because of the audio quality losses I decided to try another option. I bought a 30-pin ipod cable for the stock radio and a 30pin bluetooth adapter which features bluetooth v3.0 for streaming. I was thinking since the harness is a powered connection there would be less or no audio losses but it wasn't that much better. Not only that, since the ipod cable always has power, the bluetooth adapter will always be on and drawing power from the car.

I guess getting a new deck would be the best option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.