Full time rear view camera...one solution - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By exigegus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Full time rear view camera...one solution

So I decided I needed a 'rear view mirror' equivalent in my Exige, if only soI can spot a police cruiser when it is right behind me

Elife Specialized TOUCH Didital 7 inch TFT LCD-LED Color Receiver Car PC monitor with AV/HDMI/ VGA/TV Input

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7 inch 480 line screen. Many of the cheap car screens are only 240 line. There are some nice looking monitors that will divide into 2 3 and 4 sections to use multiple cameras[my car came with a wide angle plate mounted camera that I plan on aiming hard right for backing out of parking spaces] but they are all from mainland China, and it is such a crapshoot without a US person to harass if it doesn't work

Weatherproof 550 TVL Color 19mm Micro Bullet Camera BU 4000 Sony CCD Korean Made | eBay

WEATHERPROOF 550 TVL Color 19MM MICRO Bullet Camera BU-4000

this is the camera. The seller 'ragecams' is pretty good and custom fits the lens. Shown is the image for the 16mm lens. I might have gone down to a 12, or maybe the 16 with a smaller screen would be ok. It is slightly magnified, so I have to keep telling myself that the guy is not tailgating me. Seems a decent piece of work, sealed with orings.

In the image, the visible part of the trailer is about 20-25 feet away, just out of the lane behind the car. The near curb is about 40-45 away, the fence is 20 feet behind that. The right mirror shot is pretty crappy but you can just see the curb for perspective. When I get a chance I will get some better pictures.

I bent up a bracket and turned a small bushing to mount it to the center roof trim cover screw. If I take the roof off I have to find a way to mount it. I have since flipped the mount around so it is high but closer. My old eyes have trouble focusing that close but it tucks a little higher that way. In the picture you can see that it is really no worse than the rear view, and in reality it is much better as you can lean forward to see around it, not possible with the mirror [now removed and just set in place for the pic]

Some if the rearview cameras have the coolest and tiniest connector that fits through the mesh. My previous iteration used this so I cut the wires to this camera and soldered them to the tiny connector so it can come out and no mod to the car. It is held on with black ty wraps.

It vibrates a bit when the car is running so I may make a stiffer mount, but it is probably the whole hatch moving.
Attached Images

senna's daddy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Oh biggest downside, camera is not reverse image, so you have to get a monitor that will reverse, and this one is so dumb it reverses the text in the menu too........
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:43 AM

Hi Exigegus:

Nice install, any updates on your system since last June?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

First lens was not narrow view enough, seller sent me a narrower one and it magnifies enough that i have to remind myself that no, they are not tailgating me

otherwise works fine

minor vibration makes it ever so slightly fuzzy when driving

occasionally fogs

would still like HD, so I can see the cops a mile away,
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:30 AM

Hi there Exigegus

Thanks for thread on rear view cameras. I have just acquired a 2008 Exige S240 and am struggling with the reversing bit and lack of permanent rear visibility. For forty years I have reversed in an "over the shoulder" style rather than on wing mirrors. Also, like you, like to keep tabs on those behind. Your solution looks intriguing. The only issue I can think of is that the monitor looks huge. Surely you must lose a lot of visibility? Would it be possible to set up the same arrangement, but use one of these replacement-type mirrors or a half-size HU replacement for the stereo or something else silmilar??

Thanks for any help you can give.

Richard
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

I have the monitor mounted to the screw that holds the trim for the roof. It takes up less space than the OEM mirror, and I made a new mount that pushes it a bit further from me, although I will hit my head if try to fetch something off the passenger floor. With the camera I have, I could probably go with a smaller monitor, or if they made a true HD camera/monitor setup for reasonable money.

If you see my other posting regarding radio reception, the monitor is interfering with the FM radio[no audible noise, just poorer reception] and I am searching for a solution. It seems it may be a common problem with LCD monitors. I am working on a filter or shielding to fix that.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the prompt and helpful reply. I'll keep researching for the moment. I am planning to fit a soft top then use the car mainly with the top off in the summer. (Here in Spain I can guarantee no rain for June through September and the temperatures make it a fun deal for open air driving). The soft top would just be for security when parked, to keep dust out and just in case there is an electrical storm or something.

However, clearly the soft top would cause a problem for the monitor fitting, so need to think about that. Eventually, I think for the relatively reasonable prices, I will just have to dive in, buy something that sounds reasonable and experiment.

Thanks again for taking the time and trouble right up your experience and keep answering our questions
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

I haven't driven with the top off much, although I bought a soft top

I figured I would make a bracket when I felt the need to go topless.

Another option is mounting the monitor low or using a fold out head unit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Audio, Video, GPS, Radar Detectors & Other Accessories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in