New Blaupunkt Bluetooth headunit saves 2 lbs and costs $13 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

New Blaupunkt Bluetooth headunit saves 2 lbs and costs $13

Blaupunkt Toronto TRT1049 - link to Amazon:

This headunit has been getting attention on YouTube and some other car forums I read primarily because of the price. I'm sure this isn't the last word in car audio, but to easily add Bluetooth, this unit is great.

For our cars, I like the fact that it's branded Blaupunkt like the OEM unit, is visually appealing, and saves weight. Mine arrived in the mail today and it weighs just 9 ounces. I have not weighed the stock unit in the car yet, but from what I understand the stock unit weighs around 3 lbs, so this upgrade should save 2 lbs and add Bluetooth.

What's more, Amazon offered me a $5 credit for Prime Now if I selected a slower shipping option. So my final cost was around $8 for this unit. o_O

A YouTube review I found:
avonnieda likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:25 AM

Garage
Ordered one of these from Amazon today on a whim... Does anyone know if the stock 2005 Elise harness will mate up to this unit since it is a Blaupunkt? That would be sweet if it was a plug-n-play installation but I doubt that will happen, too easy. If I need a cable kit, what would be suggested?
avonnieda likes this.

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
Ordered one of these from Amazon today on a whim... Does anyone know if the stock 2005 Elise harness will mate up to this unit since it is a Blaupunkt? That would be sweet if it was a plug-n-play installation but I doubt that will happen, too easy. If I need a cable kit, what would be suggested?
I've read from other threads that for installing head units you need the "Metra 70-1784" radio wiring harness (originally intended for Volkswagens). I ordered one from Amazon for $5. We'll see if it's needed!

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 03:45 PM

Garage
Metra 70-1784 looks right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMBL View Post
I've read from other threads that for installing head units you need the "Metra 70-1784" radio wiring harness (originally intended for Volkswagens). I ordered one from Amazon for $5. We'll see if it's needed!
Yup! Looks like the Metra 70-1784 is the right one based on the pictures I just took. Thanks!
Attached Images

WMBL likes this.

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida

Last edited by InfernoLotus; 04-28-2019 at 03:48 PM. Reason: added content
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 03:59 PM

Garage
And there's also a removal tool required to get the stock head unit off, right?

2005 Elise - Saffron Yellow.
1997 Ducati 748 - Yellow.
2016 Ducati Scrambler - Yellow.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 04:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by avonnieda View Post
And there's also a removal tool required to get the stock head unit off, right?
Yes, also from Amazon.

. I made mine from a coat hanger and works well too. I got the dimensions from this. https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f133/how-remove-stock-blaupunkt-radio-install-alpine-13786/ which is a good article on the radio removal.

Central Florida

Last edited by InfernoLotus; 04-28-2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: added url
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 04:39 PM

Garage
Thanks man! I'm all over this, all I need is a cheap replacement for the stock head unit, this covers all the bases.
WMBL likes this.

2005 Elise - Saffron Yellow.
1997 Ducati 748 - Yellow.
2016 Ducati Scrambler - Yellow.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 04:43 PM
2006 Exige

Garage
You had me at 2 pounds!!!

Can we get pics of the final install please?

Also a sound check - is it at least the same sound quality as the 14 year old stock unit you replaced?

I have an '06 which I think is the same as the '05 so should be the same connections, right?

Thanks! This looks great!
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for adding that I need to get a removal tool!

Quote:
Yup! Looks like the Metra 70-1784 is the right one based on the pictures I just took. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZelise View Post

Also a sound check - is it at least the same sound quality as the 14 year old stock unit you replaced?

I have an '06 which I think is the same as the '05 so should be the same connections, right?

It will be a few weeks until I'll be located near the car and can install it, so perhaps another member will complete the install first.

From all appearances, this should sound at least as good as the stock unit. It will be reassuring to know for sure.

I'll add pictures to the thread once mine is installed!
AZelise likes this.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZelise View Post

Yup same connections. I would definitely purchase the Metra harness in the event the plug is different on the new unit. As another member posted, about $5 from amazon.

Gabe

2002 Honda S2000 - RIP MAY 2012
2005 Lotus Elise Sport and Touring Package - Weekend Warrior
2015 NX200T F-Sport - DD and Winter Beater
2006 Hummer H3 - The wife's
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:14 AM

Garage
If only it had SXM compatibility as well...

2007 Exige S Phantom Black
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:44 PM

It's only 2 channel out. To get front and rear do we need to add an external amp? I'm not a car stereo guy 😀
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:59 AM

Garage
Handy remote control included!

Wow, the remote might come in handy. "Control the receiver without touching it, even from the back seat" is so funny. : There is nothing in our cars out of reach while driving, not even the passenger side window control. Oh well, something else to clutter up my electronics draw, LOL.
Attached Images

Central Florida
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 03:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonious View Post
It's only 2 channel out. To get front and rear do we need to add an external amp? I'm not a car stereo guy 😀
Mine came in today and it has front and rear speakers, Left and Right. No issues.
Attached Images

Central Florida
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:10 PM
los

got one to mainly for bluetooth phone to replace the factory alpine (the one with old ipod wire). does anyone know what HU adapter I need?
Ryno likes this.
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:38 AM

Ordered Mine.

This is awesome.
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:03 AM

Garage
Ordered two - one each for the Elise and the Celica, which currently has a crappy Scosche double-to-single DIN adapter and a crappy early '00s Blaupunkt cheapie CD player head unit that sticks out too far and interferes with the factory cupholder.

The rear USB charge socket might just be how I power the backup camera monitor once I figure out where to put it.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:48 AM

Garage
How can this thing possibly cost $13 and what else do I need to install it? A wiring harness adapter and some removal tools?
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verichai View Post
How can this thing possibly cost $13 and what else do I need to install it? A wiring harness adapter and some removal tools?
I ordered mine through Amazon and it arrived 2 days ago. It was $12.42 with free Prime shipping. I am impressed with the build quality but have not powered it up yet. You will need removal tools and an adapter harness. Both are already discussed earlier in this post. The Metra 70-1784 Radio Wiring Harness I ordered was $4.79 with free Prime shipping. Everything else appears to be included. My harness came in today so I will be doing my install tonight. I'll report back with my observations. I downloaded the Android app and it installed fine. Testing to start tonight!

Central Florida

Last edited by InfernoLotus; 05-02-2019 at 10:18 AM. Reason: added content.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:19 PM
2006 Exige

Garage
Quote:
I ordered mine through Amazon and it arrived 2 days ago. It was $12.42 with free Prime shipping. I am impressed with the build quality but have not powered it up yet. You will need removal tools and an adapter harness. Both are already discussed earlier in this post. The Metra 70-1784 Radio Wiring Harness I ordered was $4.79 with free Prime shipping. Everything else appears to be included. My harness came in today so I will be doing my install tonight. I'll report back with my observations. I downloaded the Android app and it installed fine. Testing to start tonight!
Cool! I'm going to see how your install goes and then I'll order one for my Exige! I don't even use my stereo, but I want something at least sounds the same just in case! Thanks for keeping us updated on this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Audio, Video, GPS, Radar Detectors & Other Accessories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in