New Blaupunkt Bluetooth headunit saves 2 lbs and costs $13 - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:51 PM

Infernolotus thank you for the write up! Got this installed today, excited to finally have Bluetooth. Definitely worth the $12.
InfernoLotus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:14 PM

So my Toronto harness does not have and orange wire as you stated for the Illumination. I was going down your side by side list and soldering/heat shrinking before realizing my Toronto harness has no orange.

What I have left over right now are a yellow wire, a black wire, a red wire and a blue wire on the Toronto harness.

On the Metra harness I have an orange/white, a red, a black and a yellow wire

any suggestions?

thanks!

EDIT: closer look: My Metra Yellow says "12v battery/constant" and my Metra Red says "12v Ignition/Switched"

also, on the wiring diagram on the actual head unit, there is no mention of an orange wire. Of the wires I have left, there is the Black Wire (GND), The Blue Wire (Auto Antenna), Yellow Wire (Battery) and Red Wire (ACC)

I am assuming the Yellow wires and Red wires between my two harnesses actually match up

So I'm just confused as to Inferno's chart showing an orange wire on the Toronto harness. Plus, I'll be left with the Orange/White Metra wire (Dimmer) left with nothing to connect to?

It's Delux son, Delux. It's not that hard.

http://itsdeluxson.com/

Last edited by raggedy1; 05-15-2019 at 12:42 PM.
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:37 PM

Finished the installation; went ahead and did not connect the orange/white dimmer wire and the blue antenna wire as they both aren't needed

sounds as good as the Los Angeles unit, but that was always a very low bar to hurdle

happy to have BT capability and the weight savings, all for less than 20 dollars all in

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoLotus View Post
wired up last night. All functions worked great including Bluetooth calling and control, remote control, and it sounded as loud or louder than my original unit. It is easy to operate and looks like it comes from this century! Will do final install soon but still need to run a USB cable from behind the radio down into the cabin.
*** Notice the color cross on the power wires. I could have swapped the Red and Yellow in the Metra harness so the colors would match up but did not bother. The below wiring chart was correct for me but you should always double check your wiring prior to connection.
Ok, I need some help (again - sorry)

when I shut down the power to the ignition (pull the key), I lose all my presets. So are my yellow and red wires mixed up? My Metra yellow says it's constant and my Metra red says ACC, and that matches the colors on the Toronto harness. But you swapped yours. Before I cut and splice/solder again, maybe you can help answer this mystery for me.

thanks!

post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy1 View Post
Ok, I need some help (again - sorry)

when I shut down the power to the ignition (pull the key), I lose all my presets. So are my yellow and red wires mixed up? My Metra yellow says it's constant and my Metra red says ACC, and that matches the colors on the Toronto harness. But you swapped yours. Before I cut and splice/solder again, maybe you can help answer this mystery for me.

thanks!
Yes, I though that was were you were going when you did not swap the colors like I had indicated in my prior instructions.
The Yellow on the Blaupunkt is your constant power which will maintain your presets. The package of the Metra says this should be the yellow also but I found mine to be swapped and it did not maintain presets or clock so I swapped them. I am wired as the table shows for Constant Power and Ignition Switch and it works. Give it a try, there is no harm with these connections. Report back what you find please.

Edit: Maybe you should just swap the pins in the Blaupunkt connector instead of cutting/re-splicing. I think the pins can be easily extracted and reinserted. I actually had one of my speaker leads come out of the connector when I connected the harness to the radio!

Anyone else have insight into how you wired yours and how the presets were preserved?

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida

Last edited by InfernoLotus; 05-15-2019 at 09:16 PM. Reason: added content
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:

Edit: Maybe you should just swap the pins in the Blaupunkt connector instead of cutting/re-splicing. I think the pins can be easily extracted and reinserted. I actually had one of my speaker leads come out of the connector when I connected the harness to the radio!

Anyone else have insight into how you wired yours and how the presets were preserved?
haha! Well, I did read your post about the color swap, but here I thought maybe my harness (and wires) were just done correctly and yours was not! LOL

I pulled the pins out of the Metra side and swapped their locations, and all is well now. It wasn't as easy as I had thought it would be. I tried forcing it, but that just resulted in a bent pin. hahahaha. So I studied the spare blue wire and pin that came with the Metra and saw that there is a tab on it to keep it from backing out of its place once in the harness. I took a sewing needle and fit it into the harness hole to bend the tiny tab of the way so the pin could then back out easily.

So all is well now. I have my presets saved. Only small issue is I had to break the faceplate tabs off to use the extraction tools to remove the unit from the dash. That's not a good design by Blauie since it's a permanent eye sore (albeit tiny) once you have to remove the unit for whatever reason.

thanks for your fast reply!

post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:50 PM

Garage
I totally agree about the poor design for the removal tool and holes. They should have provided rubber insets to cover the holes.

Yes, I should have said something about the tabs. I bent mine out on the mounting frame so they would not engage the radio when I inseted it. Then I wrapped some foam tape around the radio to provide a slight interference fit. This allows me to pull the radio out with a slight amount of force but it won't move on it's own and it will not vibrate.

Glad you got it working!

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I totally agree about the poor design for the removal tool and holes. They should have provided rubber insets to cover the holes.

Yes, I should have said something about the tabs. I bent mine out on the mounting frame so they would not engage the radio when I inseted it. Then I wrapped some foam tape around the radio to provide a slight interference fit. This allows me to pull the radio out with a slight amount of force but it won't move on it's own and it will not vibrate.

Glad you got it working!
Great tip for those that have not installed the Toronto yet. Guys/gals, follow this tip. You don't want to have to break out the faceplate tabs to remove the unit from the cradle! You'll have two permanent holes in the faceplate (like I do now).
InfernoLotus likes this.

post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:24 PM

Garage
Okay, so I'm so impressed with this radio that I just ordered another one for my 2nd Elise, project name "Phoenix". So much bang for the buck and the quality is excellent. I never thought that I would be using the hands free cell phone calling capability in an Elise but I love it. Granted that I cannot make calls at 80 with the top off but it works pretty good around town if I am not reving too high. It is pretty cool being able to control the radio via the android app on my phone. To tell the truth, I don't konw how Blaupunkt makes any money on selling the Toronto. So much for $12.49. I think they are selling this at a loss!

Central Florida

Last edited by InfernoLotus; 05-19-2019 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Audio, Video, GPS, Radar Detectors & Other Accessories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in