New Dual Digital Media Receiver with Bluetooth save 2 lbs and costs $19 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By InfernoLotus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New Dual Digital Media Receiver with Bluetooth save 2 lbs and costs $19

This is a follow up to the thread "New Blaupunkt Bluetooth headunit saves 2 lbs and costs $13" https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f13...s-13-a-468392/ where a number of us tried the Blaupunkt Toronto TRT1049. We all seemed to be very happy with the unit and the features were great, BUT when the warm weather came the display failed. I think this is largely due to most of us going topless (the car, not us, get your mind out of the gutter) and the fact that our dash boards get very hot. I was lucky enough to be able to send both my Torontos back to Amazon.

So now I was hooked with the idea of a Bluetooth speaker phone, digital media, and streaming off my Android! I started the search for a replacement and came up with the Dual brand XDM16BT. The only thing it does not have is the rear USB socket for phone charging and a Micro SD slot. It DOES have a screen that does not fail in the heat. I have tested it for 30 days now and all is good!

I got mine from Walmart so I could easily take it back if it did not work out. I also used my American Express to buy it and double the Guarantee period from 1 year to 2 year. It is available from Amazon for $27.76 and from Walmart for $17.98. Prices on these low price units seem to swing with the days of the week and where you get it! I got mine off the shelf at my store in Melbourne, FL, they had 12 of them sitting there!

I will follow up with specific installation items and photos.

I hope this is of interest to our readers. I find it interesting how we progress in our auto sound.

AM radio -> AM/FM radio -> AM/FM radio/8-Track -> AM/FM radio/Cassette -> AM/FM radio/CD -> AM/FM radio/DVD -> AM/FM radio/Bluetooth/Digital Media.

BTW, does anyone have an 8-Track in their Elise?
Attached Images

WMBL likes this.

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:42 PM

Good to read this update, hopefully this unit continues to hold up! The display on the Toronto unit in my car hasn't malfunctioned yet, fortunately.

I also now appreciate Bluetooth functionality in this car and would upgrade the headunit in any Elise/Exige to something modern.

2006 Lotus Exige - Chrome Orange
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:01 PM

this unit looks like it could have been manufactured on the same assembly line as the Blaupunkt!

Does this unit use the same harness? any difference in sound quality? I know, they all sound like crap. hahahah

thanks for posting this

Oh, one thing i find cheesy about the Blaupunkt is the fake LED light show display. It doesn't actually move in step with the music or sound. But, what can I expect for 12 dollars...?

It's Delux son, Delux. It's not that hard.

http://itsdeluxson.com/

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I don't think it came from the same line, box is bigger without heat fins, different (better) build quality IMHO, and sound is comparable. I think the hands free phone works better and most important.... The display actually works!!! ... I do miss having the USB on the back for charging devices but I could not find any other unit that had that feature. Oh, the display is not nearly as pixilated and is much easier to read. I will be following up with more installation info soon. So far, so good...

2005 Chrome Orange Elise, BWR supercharger, TR Motorsport F1 rims and R888s, Nitron NTR40 Single Adjustables with Eibach springs,Sector 111 308BBL brakes, BWR Silent Touch exhaust, CF side scoops, front splitter, and engine cover.
Central Florida
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:07 AM

Following.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So tonight I will continue with the installation info. It has been 2 of the hottest weeks in Florida that I can remember and the display is still as bright and readable as the day I put it in, even after a 90 minute drive with the roof off.

So some background on the installation. I always looks parts over very well before I install anything, probably the rocket scientist in me. I noticed that there were no holes to insert a removal tool through if I needed to depress the tabs which lock it in following installation. I called Dual and they confirmed that to remove the radio, you will need to push the tabs in by reaching up behind the dash. That will not work for our cars so I called back and got a second opinion from a second support person and his suggestion was to take the dash apart. No BS here..... So I decided to add my own holes for inserting the removal tool. Pictures that follow show what I found during the process. This group of photos shows the exterior shots of the radio before my mods.
Attached Images

Central Florida
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The following shots show the removal of the faceplate by removing 2 screws on each end. I pulled out the ribbon cable to make it easier to work on. The next 2 pictures shows how empty the "box" is. All the electronics are on the faceplate and the connectors are on the back of the box. The second to the last photo shows the hole drilled to accept a coat hanger or a long 3mm T-handle Allen wrench. Last photo shows the installation.
Attached Images

Central Florida
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just another note on the connections. I followed the wire list included with the Metra 70-1784 and the wire listed with the radio cannot be followed exactly. The Metra "12V Ignition/ACC" (Red) needs to be connected to the Dual "12V Battery/Memory" (Yellow) and the Metra "12V Battery/Memory" (Yellow) needs to be connected to the Dual "12V ignition/accessory" (Red). I know it seems backwards but this is my 3rd time encountering this and I am sure the Metra power leads are reversed in their documentation. So yellow to red and red to yellow, all other cable colors match up.

I hope this is helpful. I am enjoying the new radio, especially since I can see the display!

Central Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Audio, Video, GPS, Radar Detectors & Other Accessories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in