Across America - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Across America

Hey everybody, I'm new to the community and will be purchasing my first Lotus next Wednesday and driving across country with my dad(10/8/14).

I hope to both share my experience on this thread as well as provide information to those who come after me and want to do something similar. I have had tons of questions so far and still have some unanswered. I will be updating with pictures and answers to questions along the way. So lets get into the details...

Thanks to Micro1394 for the suggestions through PM!

Route information -
Buffalo, NY to Sacramento Ca. Aiming to do this in 5 days or less.

General Route -
Buffalo, NY - Niagara Falls, Canada - Detroit, MI (Staying with family) - Mount Rushmore, SD - Yellowstone Natl Park - Sacramento, CA.
Any cool roads or things to see along the way other than above?

Car Preparation -
I will most likely be taping off the front of the car with painters tape to protect against bugs and general wear and tear from the road. I have read to make sure that the tape is vertical so that it does not flap when driving.

Issues -
The license plates need to stay with the owner, so I have not figured out what to do for this yet. Some googling around just leaves me with a bunch of different options and not much clearer understanding of the subject:
A) Keep seller's plates and mail back to him once home (preferred if possible)
B) Get temp plates (Don't know what this entails or if there is such a thing in CA)
C) Put on my plate from my other car and carry proof of ownership for both vehicles (not even sure if that is legal)
Solved - Will just post up my bill of sale receipt in the windshield and drive with no license plate. May end up getting the NY in Transit permit so that I don't have issues at the border. [Re-Edit]

Oil line recall has not been done. Car has very low mileage, so I am not expecting issues, but it still weighs on my mind...

I intend to bring a ratchet, socket set, and some fuses/wiring.

Media -
I will be buying a Ram suction cup mount for my phone. I have an old beat up iPhone 5 that I may use as a makeshift GoPro and do some time lapse of the drive.
Issue is storage (16GB iPhone 5) - May combat this by bringing my Surface and transferring video files, or finding an app that lets me do "looping", or using my new phone to split the data load.
Read an article about time lapse. Apple does a very efficient job at storing time lapses, can shoot all day without running into storage issues. Only problem is battery life now. [Edit]
Bought a Lightning to 30-pin connector to hopefully be able to listen to music on the way home from an iPhone6. Does the stereo work with newer iPhones if you have the lightning connector?

Miscellaneous -
Will be bringing quarters and lots of cash for tolls and other things (In case cards get declined for out of state use).
Do not have a radar detector and do not plan to buy one.
Get or upgrade to AAA Plus for 100 miles of free towing. [Edit]
Can of Fix A Flat [Edit]
Other suggestions: Eye drops, travel neck pillows, don't hit second cam before car reaches 172 degrees (Used to this from my Si )

If anybody has anything to add, feel free. Hopefully this will provide help to somebody later on. The more questions brought up and answered the better.

Last edited by rbrand21; 10-01-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 03:14 AM

Can of fix a flat.
Foam cushion for seat under your ass seat are hard
Some type of cheap cup holder
I would clean carefully front a tape it to protect against rocks
Watch the front these cars are low to ground in front and easy to hit
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 03:25 AM

If you're going through Canada I suggest checking their laws to be sure they are ok with your transit tag strategy. Make sure your insurance company is ok with you taking your yet unregistered car out of the country.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 03:30 AM

I did a trip from Toronto to Seattle and back last year. All went well for me.

If you are not used to the Elise the most important thing to know is that there is very little trunk space. You have to be judicious on what you bring.

Regarding the oil lines issue. If it happens it seems to happen fast with little warning. Just shut the car off immediately if it arises. I'm lucky. My car has 115,000 km on it so far and I have not had an oil line issue.

If your car has Starshield on it I don't think you will need to tape it as well.

Also never parallel park the car. If someone backs into it even lightly it can do a lot of damage.

I'd try to stay at hotels in out of the way places since the car will attract attention.

Have fun!

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f135...adtrip-157338/

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 03:31 AM

Passports. Appreciate the effort your dad is doing to spend some time with you.

2005 Magnetic Blue Elise, Factory twin oil coolers, Sport pack with LSS wheels with 6.5 fronts, and touring pack with matching hardtop and insulated soft top. OEM stage II exhaust, carbon fiber intake, HID's, 5.25 and 6.5 Polks with JL Stealthbox and Alpine PDX-5 amp, Sony DSX-S310BTX head unit with Bluetooth, sector111 bootie and aluminum carpet buttons, OEM embellisher rings, shower cap and outdoor cover, factory painted console and AC shroud, battery cut off switch, factory starshield.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 03:32 AM

I would worry more about the radiator if it is stock than the oil lines

2005 Magnetic Blue Elise, Factory twin oil coolers, Sport pack with LSS wheels with 6.5 fronts, and touring pack with matching hardtop and insulated soft top. OEM stage II exhaust, carbon fiber intake, HID's, 5.25 and 6.5 Polks with JL Stealthbox and Alpine PDX-5 amp, Sony DSX-S310BTX head unit with Bluetooth, sector111 bootie and aluminum carpet buttons, OEM embellisher rings, shower cap and outdoor cover, factory painted console and AC shroud, battery cut off switch, factory starshield.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 07:03 AM

I would buy AAA plus member ship. gives you 100 miles of free towing. the last thing in the world you want is the wrong person working on the car

Ed
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 07:22 AM

Do not put a plate on the car from another car! Very illegal

In Michigan, you have a few days from date of purchase to get a plate. I drove around and was even pulled over. Explained everything and the cop let me go. Getting into Canada that way will probably be impossible though. Check with your state where the car will be registered and they'll tell you what to do

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus90 View Post
I would buy AAA plus member ship. gives you 100 miles of free towing. the last thing in the world you want is the wrong person working on the car

Ed
I'm going to upgrade my membership now, good point.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craig View Post
I did a trip from Toronto to Seattle and back last year. All went well for me.

If you are not used to the Elise the most important thing to know is that there is very little trunk space. You have to be judicious on what you bring.

Regarding the oil lines issue. If it happens it seems to happen fast with little warning. Just shut the car off immediately if it arises. I'm lucky. My car has 115,000 km on it so far and I have not had an oil line issue.

If your car has Starshield on it I don't think you will need to tape it as well.

Also never parallel park the car. If someone backs into it even lightly it can do a lot of damage.

I'd try to stay at hotels in out of the way places since the car will attract attention.

Have fun!

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f135...adtrip-157338/
Is there enough trunk space to fit two small sized duffel bags? And will I just know if the line comes off? Anything to look out for in particular? Oil coming out the back, noises, smoke, all of the above?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Made it home and will be updating the thread with our encounters in the next few days.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 02:31 PM

Hope its good news!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Just a quick update before I update the original post.
The most important things that happened and set us back were trying to cross the border without a valid form of temporary registration. Since we tried to cross in New York and New Yorkers are required to get temporary registration, they wanted me to have that as well. We decided to turn around once harassed getting into Canada (if we get harassed going into Canada, we figured the US side would give us even more trouble. Did not want to drive all the way to Michigan to have them tell us to turn around. So 2 hours later after being treated like criminals and scum of the Earth, my dad and I were on our way to Michigan via the us roads.
We were so down after spending so much time at the border, we passed up Niagara...
Other than that, I would say any other advice I would have to give is:
1) Take longer than 4 days to do it
2) Plan out fun backroads (we hit a couple and this was the best part of the trip)
3) Quadruple check you have everything you need for your loan if you are using one
4) Remember to have fun
5) Carry a few extra neck braces for all the necks that get snapped along the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in