LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   Roadtrip! (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f135/)
-   -   Annual Longer Distance Roadtrip from CA to Mt. Rushmore (4365 miles) (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f135/annual-longer-distance-roadtrip-ca-mt-rushmore-4365-miles-423722/)

joldsha 08-18-2017 09:48 AM

Annual Longer Distance Roadtrip from CA to Mt. Rushmore (4365 miles)

Hi all,

I normally don't post my annual road trips until sometimes after the trip. But I'm excited with this one. My fellow Lotus friend and his wife, @CALtd , is coming with my wife and I for this 2 week long trip. It just so happens to fall in the path of the solar eclipse totality day and so we made a side excursion for that. Some of our previous trips: 2016 was to Crater Lake in Oregon and taking the California Coast back (1200 miles); 2015 was to LOG35 in Colorado and then Yellowstone National Park and then double back through Utah's National Parks to home (4000 miles). And then before 2015, my wife and I did a lot of solo long distance drives. But I'm glad we are able to find other Lotus drivers who also enjoy driving long distances with us and have the same safety standards in mind..although we can be spirited.

So Rushmore here we go. I'll post the pictures after I come back..or if I have internet connection, maybe I can post once a day here. Starting trip tomorrow, leaving today to meet up with @CALtd , and be back around Aug 31-Sept 1.

Route changed from day 1, will update when I get home.

shay2nak 08-18-2017 12:02 PM

crazy!

David Craig 08-18-2017 01:39 PM

Sounds great! Looking forward to those photos.

joldsha 08-20-2017 04:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Day 1 (yesterday - 8/19) of our annual epic trip, now in NV. Sunny and hot for a few hours; rain and thunderstorm for a couple of hours after; snow on the side of the mountains. Perfect road conditions for a Lotus.

joldsha 08-20-2017 04:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Day 2 (Aug 20). Now in ID. We set out early in the morning to avoid the Solar Eclipse traffic jam of the century, based on numerous news articles...and this is what that traffic looks like in Nevada and Idaho.

joldsha 08-21-2017 09:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Day 3 (Aug 21). Now in MT. On the way toward the center of the Eclipse's totality, we stopped by the Devil Boat. The road that ran along the Salmon River was quite nice, but would have preferred fewer cars (it's all the sun & moon's fault). How come they couldn't wait another week or two until my annual trip is over?

David Craig 08-22-2017 07:52 AM

Loving those photos. Makes me wonder why I am sitting here typing in C++ code when I could be there instead.

joldsha 08-25-2017 05:08 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Day 4 (Aug 22). Still in MT. Pics of Glacier National Park and Going-to-the-Sun road; Choteau Ice Cream Parlor and Dinosaur Museum; Cow Crossing...dont see many in California.

joldsha 08-25-2017 05:33 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Day 5 (Aug 23). Still in MT, but borderline. Lots of driving. Awesome roads like Highway 212. Different bisons taking their time on the road through Yellowstone National Park; Bunnies at our hotel parking lot...just want to take one home.

joldsha 08-25-2017 05:54 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Day 6 (Aug 24). Now in SD. Drove through WY. Surprise detour to Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Park; another nice road (highway 14) in Wyoming; Devils Tower.

shinoo 08-25-2017 06:33 AM

Epic! Thx for sharing pix - they are sweet!

IBKevin 08-25-2017 11:37 AM

Great stuff, looks fantastic!

joldsha 08-27-2017 05:16 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Day7 (Aug 25). In SD. Final destination. Mt Rushmore; Crazy Horse (his head is on the mountain in the background, its 87ft tall compared to Mt Rushmore's heads of 60ft); Custer State Park; Badlands National Park. And an unusual wild animal sighting (a family of goats on the side of the road in Badlands), for us city folks.

joldsha 08-29-2017 04:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Day 8 (Aug 26). In SD, too many things to see and do. Went back to Custer State Park (yesterday had some random thunder showers)..today all clear. Saw a pack of wild mules by the road, got a picture of 1. Wind Caves National Park. Jewel Caves National Monument. Sanford Labs (interesting place that talked about science stuff beyond my knowledge funded by the Department of Energy and Lead city). Took a nice drive along Spearfish Canyon Road.

joldsha 08-29-2017 04:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Day 9 (Aug 27). In WY. While saying goodbye to South Dakota, we decided to check out the Space&Air Museum in Box Elder. Delicious Cinnamon Roll at Outcast Cafe (Cinnabon better take lessons). Decided to drive to Nebraska as a detour. Stripe deers on the side of the road (not sure which kind they are).

joldsha 08-29-2017 04:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Day 10 (Aug 28). In ID. Continental Divide. Yellowstone Bear World. Close Encounters of the Bear Kind. Moose about a hop skip and jump away. Craters of the Moon (climbed to the top of a volcanic hill, me in the far far background - with the eclipse at the beginning of our trip, we didnt drive into this national park until today).

David Craig 08-30-2017 11:30 AM

Love all those animals!

greenisGood 08-30-2017 11:54 AM

Those be pronghorn antelope, not deer! You city people! You need to get out to plains more often to see 'The Good Life'

https://goo.gl/images/YTVqUb

joldsha 09-07-2017 06:56 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Sorry, been tired and busy since I got back..here are the rest of the days:

Day 11 (Aug 29). In OR. Sawtooth Scenic Byway to Ponderosa Scenic Byway in Idaho. Nice roads..although other drivers are either really slow (below speed limit) or don't want to pull into the slow lane (they cant be bothered with us spirited drivers). Still debating on which state drivers dislike us more..ID or OR. Nothing too eventful..ran into 2 Canadian drivers who drove slow and wouldnt let anyone pass..frustrating..but eventually on the mountain corners..we were able to wizz by.

joldsha 09-07-2017 07:03 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Day 12 (Aug 30). In WA. Maryhill Stonehenge replica. Was in England in 2011 and was never able to get this close. Bridge of the Gods. Decided to take another detour, this time to Olympic National Park (whats another 190 miles north).