The drive it home trip - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

The drive it home trip

I'm flying from Bangor, Maine to Atlanta Thursday (3 Feb.) to purchase an 05 Elise. Looks like I've found the right car, and the plans have been made. Anybody located along the way - feel free to offer suggestions about the Atlanta to Bangor drive.

Years ago, in the service, on leave, I drove Pensacola to NJ quite often - basically Rte 85 - Rte 95. I always made that trip non-stop, but I'm not sure if I can still do that. Since my son went to college a few years ago in Radford, Va, I'm familiar with Rte 81 - Rte 78 - Rte 287 -etc. Once I'm in Nj, I'm good for the rest of the trip north. Mapquest suggests two routes: Atlanta - Charlotte - Rte 77 into Virginia - then Rte 81; or Atlanta - Charlotte - then a whole bunch of (I think) smaller highways skirting Richmond, D.C., Baltimore, then Rte 95 north.

Anyone have an opinion about which route? Snowfall potential and road conditions are of foremost importance, but traffic and E.T. are important factors. The 77/81 would probably have less traffic - but more snow potential, icy roads, and (probably) fewer services than going east, to the coast. I'd expect better road conditions going the Charlotte - Richmond route, but heavier traffic in all the metropolitan areas (especially since I'd be traveling Friday through the D.C./New York corridor).

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've had the A048's replaced with all-seasons. I'm aware of the cold weather limitations of those tires and would hate to have them fail anywhere along the way. Even though I won't be driving it here in Maine until April'ish, we've had some 20-below temps - Yokohama recommends storing them inside if temps are under 15 F. I'll get it right come spring.

So, any thoughts on the route? Oh - no, I won't store it in Atlanta until April!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

And i know better than to think that the new tires will be that much help in any adverse conditions - "all-season" means "not good in summer, not good in winter".
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 12:30 PM
nak

You'll want to read the "Snow Lotus" thread. I think that the weather is going to be a serious issue for you. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the concept of driving an Elise in the snow without prior experience driving it in the dry under my belt. There's this guy who writes books up your way, he might be interested in a white-knuckle, thought I was going to die, but through heroic efforts lived to tell, kind of tale. The coolest thing would be for all of the road crews to have had just enough time to make it a nice drive for you.

I'll leave the routing comments to the East Coast folks.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 12:45 PM

I think you should be fine with the all season tires as long as the roads have been plowed.

I drove a RWR Corolla for many years using all season tires during the winter in Toronto. It was Ok most of the time. For really heavy snow it wasn't very good but in moderate to light snow it was fine.

I'm glad to hear that you removed the summer tires for the trip.

If there is snow, try to stay well back of any trucks. I see lots of snow and ice fly of the top of trucks this time of year.

Also the gas guage seems to be highly non-linear. It doesn't move at all for quite a while and then drops really fast. For highway driving I can usually do about 250 miles between fill ups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in