First Road Trip ! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
First Road Trip !

Just got back from driving the Elise to Ormond Beach, Fl from metro Atlanta. About 450 miles each way. No exciting roads, just an exciting car. I'm very pleased with the car. It went great.

Some thoughts:
  • I had thought the A/C was good up here in Ga but found after a few hours of it at full tilt that it just could not keep up. I just reviewed the posts (thanks SirLotus) on issues and realized that the Evap froze up. I cycled between running A/C then windows open every other hour to keep the A/C working. I didn't really care as I was enjoying it either way.
  • The attention the car gets on the road is even more than I get locally. Cars would flying up and then sitting in my blind spot to take pictures. At every stop on the way, it drew attention. On the return trip, I followed someones advice here on Lotustalk and had a camera next to me - everytime someone pulled alongside to take a picture, I pulled up the camera to take their picture. Great results! Some laughed and the best reaction I got was someone hit their brakes to prevent my taking their picture, they didn't want a picture of their car taken (the irony as they were taking mine).
  • I got all the usual questions and comments. My wife helped me out with some fun answers. One time when asked "How much does it cost?", I replied "I don't know, my wife bought it for me for my birthday". I cracked up when the guy's wife turned to him and said "Don't get any ideas!".
  • We saw a red Evora on A1A in Ormond turning onto Neptune towards Oceanside Country Club as I was heading southbound. He flashed lights and I waved. If the driver is here on Lotustalk - I just want to say - Love your car and you were the only other Lotus I saw this week in over 1200 miles of driving.
  • Did get a new squeaking noise from under the seats that happens when going over bumps, going to have to search the forum for info. No biggie.
  • We cruised through Daytona Beach in the evenings looking for restaurants and it got a lot of attention! Kids on sidewalk actually yelling out. Not understated as you all know.
  • What is the deal with Inifiniti G35 owners? Why do they all feel the need to race? The sedans are the worst. Second place goes to Hyaundi Tiberons (sp?).
Overall, while we only found one 3 mile section of curvy Lotus road near Flagler Beach, this car was a sheer delight to take on a long trip and we will do it again and again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 10:08 AM

Garage
Glad you had fun! Long trips can be onerous for some people in these cars, others really enjoy them.

The car will definitely start to acquire squeaks and rattles as time goes by. There is a thread around here if you search for 'quieter elise' which talks about ways to reduce rattles and general noise - it might have some useful hints for you.

Enjoy!

2009 Gray and Carbon Audi R8 4.2 MT Stasis Challenge Extreme
2007 Arctic Silver Lotus Exige S - Totaled https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231...1/#post5317729
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 03:11 PM

Congradulations on the first ride! I jump at the chance to take the Elise anytime I can. They are an amazing machine to drive. Wait until you can get a trip with a couple hours of twisties to play on! Have fun and enjoy the car.

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 04:13 AM

DrinkMan, great post.

I've taken my Elise on a few 2 and 3 day roadtrips and I love all the questions and attention it receives.

My favorite thing to do is to let people sit in the car. Usually I'll take a picture for them with their own camera. People get so exctited about that.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in