just put on another 2400 km (1500 miles) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

just put on another 2400 km (1500 miles)

My Elise needed new tires, oil change and 30,000 km service, so I headed to the dealer, a mere 1200 km to the south. I split the trip down into two days, leaving after work and going as far as Prince George that night. The best part of that drive is the Pine Pass through the Rockies on Hwy 97. It's about a 100 km stretch of sweeping curves, twisty corners and straight bits with good road surface and light traffic. It was fun & I made good time. The next morning I headed to Vancouver and wasn't more than an hour underway when I got nabbed by an RCMP officer just as I crested a hill after passing a couple of transport trucks. Add another $200 to the cost of this trip That effectively moderated my top speed as I headed father south into more populated territory. A fairly dull drive (other than passing traffic) until I got to the canyon stretch (Trans-Canada highway between Spences Bridge and Hope). I normally avoid this bit of highway in the dark or in bad weather, but neither applied on this day so away I went! It was quite a fun drive (as are most roads that follow rivers) and traffic wasn't that bad. The fun ended as I approached Vancouver, with terrible traffic. I did more first gear starts in an hour+ of stop & go traffic than I have in the rest of the two years I've had the car. I dropped it off at Weissach the next morning & left it with them for the day. Total bill wasn't cheap, but was about what I expected. I was happy to be rid of the nearly bald R888's and admired the tread of the AdVan A07's since I expected some rain on the drive home. When I headed out the next morning (beating the worst of the traffic) all was well until the tire pressure sensor came on just 20 minutes into the drive. I did a quick exit off the highway just to check on things, then continued on to find a gas station with a working air hose. I pumped both rears up to about 36 psi in case there was a slow leak, but the light went out and didn't come back. I gave some thought to taking a slightly longer route via the Nicola Highway (Rt 8) - which is an awesome road for sporty cars or motorcycles - but in the interest of saving time (since I was going to do the full 1200 km in one day), I stuck with the same route through the Fraser Canyon. It was again fun, with a bit more traffic, but nothing terrible. The drive up to Prince George was rather dull, but no police and occasional showers. From there on, I knew the likelihood of encountering speed traps was very low, and the road was almost empty. I had a great drive for the last 400 km and made record time. After 12 hours in the car, I wasn't overly stiff/sore, but now comes the chore of cleaning all the bugs, tar, rubber & whatever else from my beloved car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in