2008 Exige S240
2007 BMW 550i
2008 Elise SC - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus90 View Post
There is another race track near the event.' High plaines race way. It is close say hour away and worth doing
HPR is more like 2 hours from CO Springs - it's basically 45 minutes straight East of Denver International Airport in the absolute middle of *nowhere*. It's still worth the drive. The course is really good and more interesting than most other tracks in CO (IMO).

Their open lapping days in the Summer are generally on Fridays. In general renting the track on an off day is $$$ (works out to $200-$625 per car depending on number of cars / desired services and setup). I know that LOCO are part of the Colorado Exotics group who are High Plains founders/partners, though, so they might be able to get a deal somehow. I'm not a LOCO member so someone else would have to chime in on that.

EDIT: I'm silly, it would be easy to hit an open lapping day HPR on that Friday and still make the reception. I thought more was scheduled. Maybe I'll do that. Anyone in? Hopefully it's not an SCCA weekend as open lapping days at HPR get pretty crazy for those.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramy w View Post
Any Florida/Georgia/Alabama interest?

I'm thinking of taking a northern-ish route on the way out there and then a southernly route on the way back that leads through the Dragon. My wife and I have family and friends in Detroit, Chicago, and Charlotte, so including those places in a counter-clockwise loop sounds pretty good. We could then pick up stragglers along the way.

Aside from stops where we have family, we are planning on camping and showering at rest stops. We are (very) amateur backpackers, so this is our idea of fun and a great way to save $1,000 by the time the trip is done. However, we may get a hotel when passing through the plains. Still plenty of time to hash out the plan.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 08:25 AM

I'm warming up to the idea of attending, but really have no urge to do a northern route. Cyow5 will have some convincing to do!
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri3d View Post
Hopefully it's not an SCCA weekend as open lapping days at HPR get pretty crazy for those.
Looks like it is a SCCA weekend

Event Calendar - High Plains Raceway
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
I'm warming up to the idea of attending, but really have no urge to do a northern route. Cyow5 will have some convincing to do!

I lost the interest, too, so I've got this itinerary now:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=A...mra=pr&t=m&z=5

It is a little more direct

post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Here's another iteration of what Jess and I are planning. We are taking a little extra time so it is as much about the road trip as it is about LOG. For that reason, we aren't going to set any records and keeping it around 8hrs of driving per day. One exception is that we might try to head over to BOE and see their setup, so we've allowed for a late start that day.

Since it is a little bit of a slower pace and we are going out of the direct way just to make it interesting, we will probably start off on our own but anyone else is welcome to join us, even for only one leg. Should be fun!
Attached Images

post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
Here's another iteration of what Jess and I are planning. We are taking a little extra time so it is as much about the road trip as it is about LOG. For that reason, we aren't going to set any records and keeping it around 8hrs of driving per day. One exception is that we might try to head over to BOE and see their setup, so we've allowed for a late start that day.

Since it is a little bit of a slower pace and we are going out of the direct way just to make it interesting, we will probably start off on our own but anyone else is welcome to join us, even for only one leg. Should be fun!
As of now I am in! Just depends on time off/money/car condition at the time of the trip. Your route looks good with the exception of the NC section. I will head North in Knoxville (after a dragon run of course).
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 06:30 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
Just FYI, but maybe we can coordinate trips. I have been arranging a trip from Atlanta GA to LOG and we already have 10 people signed up. Nothing is set in stone yet, but we also planned a loop with a northern and southern section.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I want to keep the plan fairly fluid so it can be pretty democratic.

My original reason for going to NC was to see family and friends, but I won't be able to stay there long enough to be worthwhile before classes start back. We will probably also just head back home from Nashville. The dragon is a decent bit out of the way, so I was thinking of some lesser-known roads. Or we could get a lodge to share and spend an extra day playing in the area.

Randy, that's the exact reason I've posted the map this early in the planning. I believe there are also some groups from the Great Lakes coming, so it would be an awesome sight if we could get a ton of cars together for the last couple legs towards Colorado or back.

The pros and cons are this:

Biggest pro? Tons of tools, spare parts, and helpful hands if anyone needs it. If we coordinate who brings what, then no one will have to bring as many tools as if they were alone.

Biggest con? A group is only as fast as the slowest car. I've tried to limit the amount of driving time each day, but even 7hrs can mean a ton of driving if anyone is having problems or if we can't get bladders and fuel tanks in synch.

Wallkie talkies and radar detectors will be strongly encouraged, too. I have a couple Midland GXT1000's that worked great in the mountains with no line-of-sight. I don't plan on getting crazy with speed, but the states near Colorado are deserving of radar detectors...

post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 07:07 AM

Someone will really have to convince me to go to LOG... just sayin.

'05 CO Elise Mods: Yes
'01 NFR S2000 Mods: No
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I want to keep the plan fairly fluid so it can be pretty democratic.

My original reason for going to NC was to see family and friends, but I won't be able to stay there long enough to be worthwhile before classes start back. We will probably also just head back home from Nashville. The dragon is a decent bit out of the way, so I was thinking of some lesser-known roads. Or we could get a lodge to share and spend an extra day playing in the area.
Nashville? I'm heading north after Knoxville, which is only an hour from the dragon, I will then take my normal route home and stop at "back of the dragon (rt16) also. Or maybe skip TOTD and spend more time at BOTD.

Quote:
Someone will really have to convince me to go to LOG... just sayin.
If you want to miss out on Pikes Peak, the track day, the whole experience thats on you, especially since Erin did a round trip Cross country ralley while PREGNANT. That's on you
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
...especially since Erin did a round trip Cross country ralley while PREGNANT. That's on you
I was hoping you didn't bring that up.

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 07:55 AM

I am in Nebraska and have talked to a few others about going. We could possibly head down to Kansas City area and meetup with the east coast caravan! Unless anyone wants to take I-80 west to denver and south to CO Springs?

2007 Laser Blue Exige S
2005 Krypton Green Elise (SOLD)
2009 Space Gray BMW 335i xDrive 6MT
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
I was hoping you didn't bring that up.
Oh and she camped and completed the first leg completely alone.

post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 08:52 AM

The frogs opinion is moot for he drinks lipton tea... the peasant.

Tell you what, if someone organizes this into a road rally of sorts with meetups, I'll be more inclined to go.

Between chumpcar, HPDE, autocross, and that other venture... I'll be tapped out this year.

post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Nashville? I'm heading north after Knoxville, which is only an hour from the dragon, I will then take my normal route home and stop at "back of the dragon (rt16) also. Or maybe skip TOTD and spend more time at BOTD.

I meant to say Knoxville. I like the idea of skipping TOTD and going to BOTD instead, but Jess may veto that. She's been really wanting to go to the dragon, but we can also do another trip out there just for that sometime.

post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 08:53 AM
Such moderate

Garage
Quote:

If you take this route, might could pick me up along the way! I don't know if I'm going or not, but I live along this route.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doge View Post
If you take this route, might could pick me up along the way! I don't know if I'm going or not, but I live along this route.
Yeah, that'd be awesome. What city are you in? Rather than organizing a full drive, I think we are just going to keep our plans updated on here and anyone can meet up as is convenient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in