long drive home - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

long drive home

apologies in advance for referencing places most of you don't know or care about!

A few weeks ago I bought a 2010 lotus elise in Vancouver BC. I flew down and drove the car home to Dawson Creek - a distance of about 1200 km. The city traffic gave me a chance to get familiar with the car, but eventually I got onto the highway and used the higher gears. It was a nice fun drive for the first couple of hours, and I got to open the car up for short stretches when there was no sign of the po-lice. I was really looking forward to driving Route 8 between Merrit and Spences Bridge. It's a great road with some straight stretches, long sweeping corners and tight twisty bits. Nice pastoral scenery and mostly along the Nicola River.... and almost no traffic! But just as I drove down into the town of Merrit, a cop jumped out to the centre of the road, giving the 'slow down' sign. My heart jumped a bit, but I didn't think I was speeding. Copper pointed at me and waved me through. She then waved at a big Dodge pickup that was tailgating me and waved him over! A few more blocks of 50 km/h and then... SEE YA, SUCKERS! As I blasted down that great road in my awesome car. After that I still had a long, long , LONG way to go. I filled up in Clinton after just over 400 km. It was a decent drive up to William's Lake, with a few fun runs with other speedy drivers, but I really didn't press it - too paranoid of cops. I did have a few road scares: a big piece of 2x4 magically appeared, tumbling in the middle of my lane (had been run over by a car just ahead). I just avoided what could have been a very ugly incident. Also, two separate deer deciding to cross the road in front of me one suddenly, the other leisurely. I filled up again in Prince George, but by then it was late & dark. The last 400 km would have been a chance to make up some time (and have some fun through the Pine Pass) but I was beat and needed a nap part way through. As fun as the Elise is to drive, it is NOT fun to sleep in! My neck was very stiff after a couple hours of trying to nap. Wee hours of the morning by then, and again I was driving conservatively, paranoid of moose this time. The sun came up when I had about 150 km left to go... so I could step on it, but by now it was fairly dull straight roads. I got home just before 6 in the morning and went straight to bed. The next day I washed off 1200 km of bugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 03:20 AM

Hmmm sleeping in an elise...im sure a bathtub would have been much better. Glad you had some bonding time with your ride!

2005 Magnetic Blue Elise, Factory twin oil coolers, Sport pack with LSS wheels with 6.5 fronts, and touring pack with matching hardtop and insulated soft top. OEM stage II exhaust, carbon fiber intake, HID's, 5.25 and 6.5 Polks with JL Stealthbox and Alpine PDX-5 amp, Sony DSX-S310BTX head unit with Bluetooth, sector111 bootie and aluminum carpet buttons, OEM embellisher rings, shower cap and outdoor cover, factory painted console and AC shroud, battery cut off switch, factory starshield.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 09:18 AM

Enjoyed the writeup, thanks!

I try to avoid night driving as much as possible. It is too easy to hit road debris.

I did hit a chunk of wood once and another time a rolling hubcap. Luckily there was no real damage. I was lucky.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012

Last edited by David Craig; 08-21-2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 09:17 PM

I've been on those roads, way to much fun(Hwy 8) and the Moose in the North are the size of dump trucks.

2017 Evora 400 - Drop Dead RED
42,000 Km - 26,000 mi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in