Lotus from San Diego to Bonneville Salt Flats & Back - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Lotus from San Diego to Bonneville Salt Flats & Back

http://fastring.shutterfly.com/1620

Pics above. Took the Lotus to Bonneville Salt Flats for the last of the world series races. Left San Diego 1pm Fri and got to "the bend in the road" free BLM camping between Wendover and the Salt Flats around 1:30am. Was a frigid 40deg camping in new ultalight/minimal camping gear (regular gear doesnt fit in the Elise). Spent the half of a day from early Sat until noon Sat when the races ended on the flats (yes, took Elise on the Salt and yes, I washed it really really good today), then returned to San Diego, getting back a little before midnight Sat. Approx 1300 miles between the two days, averaged over 33mpg (no hypermiling, passenger wasnt up for me turning the engine off downhill).

Got to Fallbrook after the Lamborghini split itself in two but before medical folks were on the scene. We thought that there was two cars on fire between the two parts of the Lambo. All the pedestrians walking around the freeway there at the top of the I-15 Temecula grade was scary.

Speeding Lamborghini Driver Crashes, Burns, Outside Temecula - Temecula, CA Patch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastring View Post
Pics above. Took the Lotus to Bonneville Salt Flats for the last of the world series races. Left San Diego 1pm Fri and got to "the bend in the road" free BLM camping between Wendover and the Salt Flats around 1:30am. Was a frigid 40deg camping in new ultalight/minimal camping gear (regular gear doesnt fit in the Elise). Spent the half of a day from early Sat until noon Sat when the races ended on the flats (yes, took Elise on the Salt and yes, I washed it really really good today), then returned to San Diego, getting back a little before midnight Sat. Approx 1300 miles between the two days, averaged over 33mpg (no hypermiling, passenger wasnt up for me turning the engine off downhill).

Got to Fallbrook after the Lamborghini split itself in two but before medical folks were on the scene. We thought that there was two cars on fire between the two parts of the Lambo. All the pedestrians walking around the freeway there at the top of the I-15 Temecula grade was scary.

Speeding Lamborghini Driver Crashes, Burns, Outside Temecula - Temecula, CA Patch
LOL!

Great pictures? Did you run the Elise to top speed?

2008 Burnt Orange Exige
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 07:24 AM
glb

I think that just washing the car is not enough.

Get some SaltAway and spray the entire underside and suspension.

A friend was there and told me that when he rented a car he had to sign a statement that he wouldn't take the rental onto the salt.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in