Mad idea need some help, coming to America - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Mad idea need some help

Bit of background. I'm in Holland and I'm moving back to New Zealand in a few months time. Got a Honda powered S1 Elise that's coming home with me.

Now for the wild part...

I'm thinking of shipping the car to the east coast of the States and driving it across the US and getting it shipped the rest of the way home from the west coast. It's just a silly idea at the moment and in all likelihood will remain that way...

But if I did it, I'd like to do a track day or two along the way, and if at all possible an autocross - is there a class for me and do I need a license - already have a National B non-race MSA license (UK) so maybe there is a reciprocal deal or maybe I don't need one, or maybe I can get one???

Would want to take in some of the great driving routes I've read about here. Time is not a problem but money is. So any owners of shipping companies feel free to get in touch

I figure it's the only chance I'll get for a trip like this and you only live once - right? So any tips, suggestions, track days, Autocross dates, rules, laws and regulations I should be aware of, etc would be appreciated.

I've passed through the States on a few occasions on my way back and forth between Europe and NZ and on the last couple of trips got a bit adventurous, drove once down the Pacific highway from San Fran to LA and from San Fran to Vancover the last time. Really enjoyed the roads, people and the friendly State Trooper in Oregon - thanks for not giving me a ticket - I don't think your computer could handle a NZ driving license

I'm happy to cover the car in stickers etc should anyone want to sponsor a mobile bill board that as you all know is sure to snap a few necks.

So as I said a mad idea. Looking at the end of October to do it... but I'm pretty flexible. Happy to throw the keys to anyone who wants to see how the original Elise compares, excusing the engine...

Any thoughts, or should it die a death?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:26 PM

....worst case the feds will just impound and crush the car

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #3 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:29 PM
insert clever title here

Sounds like a great plan, but also a logistical nightmare! Good luck, I hope you can make it work out.

Track days are generally easy to plan. Figure out where you'll be and when, and then we can let you know what tracks are in the area. You can contact the track and find out what club is renting the track on a given day, then contact that club or organization to see how to participate. A local Lotus club is renting out ButtonWillow raceway (in California, between San Francisco and Los Angeles) on 10/17 if that fits into your schedule.

I don't think you need much to compete in SCCA autocross, just membership. Anyone know if you can sign up for that at the autocross itself?

If you end up driving through California, check out this website (http://pashnit.com/) for information on a lot of great roads.

'05 Elise, Magnetic Blue / Biscuit / Hardtop

post #4 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Well that's a promising start As far as I know you can get an exemption if you're a foreigner for one year - and take the car out with you.
post #5 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitfan
....worst case the feds will just impound and crush the car
Why would they? He is just a tourist and he can drive his car here if he wants. Not unlike people buying US licensed BMW's in Europe and driving there for a while before shipping it home.

On the racing stuff I have no clue, and I don't know what you'll need to bring the car as a tourist, proof of insurance etc...

Some others have brought their cars here don't recall who.
post #6 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG
Sounds like a great plan, but also a logistical nightmare! Good luck, I hope you can make it work out.

Track days are generally easy to plan. Figure out where you'll be and when, and then we can let you know what tracks are in the area. You can contact the track and find out what club is renting the track on a given day, then contact that club or organization to see how to participate. A local Lotus club is renting out ButtonWillow raceway (in California, between San Francisco and Los Angeles) on 10/17 if that fits into your schedule.

I don't think you need much to compete in SCCA autocross, just membership. Anyone know if you can sign up for that at the autocross itself?

If you end up driving through California, check out this website (http://pashnit.com/) for information on a lot of great roads.

Logistic's wise, I'm pretty comfortable. Credit card and a sleeping bag should see me though. Some suggestions of must do tracks and specific roads will help to form the route.
post #7 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:42 PM

I think the car will most likely get impounded at Customs for not being import legal. You might sneak past that by putting the car on a trailer before shipping and pick it up with a rental truck.
post #8 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwilson
Logistic's wise, I'm pretty comfortable. Credit card and a sleeping bag should see me though. Some suggestions of must do tracks and specific roads will help to form the route.
Maybe buying a GPS with US maps will help a little.
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8379
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/show...849#post166849

I think some stores won't sell outside the US but you can get it delivered to someone where you'll land at, they can prepare it (download the maps etc) and have it ready for you when you get here.

Or if you have a nav system try to find maps for the US
post #9 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALtd
I think the car will most likely get impounded at Customs for not being import legal. You might sneak past that by putting the car on a trailer before shipping and pick it up with a rental truck.
And I think you are wrong, tourists are exempted AFAIK.
post #10 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:48 PM
rnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwilson
Some suggestions of must do tracks and specific roads will help to form the route.
Must se roads:
Deals Gap, NC/TN (http://tailofthedragon.com/)
Highway 1, CA
post #11 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

I know of people that have taken TVR's and the like into the States. So lets presume it won't be a problem...
post #12 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Not true...

Non-conforming verhicles can be brought in for up to 1 year by nonresidents...

http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/impor...al_vehicle.xml
http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm...ingyourcar.htm

'Greg
post #13 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnr
Must se roads:
Deals Gap, NC/TN (http://tailofthedragon.com/)
Highway 1, CA
Yip, heard lots about it, will put a dot on the map.

Thanks
post #14 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:55 PM

Where would you be shipping the car out of on the West coast? Would be nice if you could swing through Los Angeles or San Diego. In early November there is a track day near Las Vegas.

BTW, I think your plan is totally feasible, but you just have to put in the time to plan it correctly. Shipping will be your greatest expense most likely.

- J

'05 Lotus Elise: RS134 Monolites, Nitron Singles, Monoballs, V2 arms, RTD2 brace, Innovative motor mounts, V2 tank, GPan, Larini 8", TransCables, LumosHID, GiroDisc, Ferodo DS2500, etc.
'16 Porsche Cayman GT4
post #15 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:57 PM

Quote:
He's not trying to import and register the car.

'94 RX-7 Type RII (met with a wall)
'98 RX-7 Type RS (Sold)
'05 Elise (Sold)
'94 Miata

'06 Baby Boy, delivered 7/14.
post #16 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Not true...

Non-conforming verhicles can be brought in for up to 1 year by nonresidents...

http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/impor...al_vehicle.xml
http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm...ingyourcar.htm

'Greg
And to add more proof here is an quote from the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol:

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...itedstates.doc

This document was linked here:
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/

Quote:
Vehicles
You may temporarily import an automobile, trailer, airplane, motorcycle, boat, or similar vehicle for the transportation of yourself, your family, and your guests. The vehicle must be free of soil and plant material.

Motor vehicles and motor vehicle equipment for personal use may be imported for up to one year. The vehicle must be imported in connection with your arrival, and it must be owned by you or on order before you depart from abroad.

A vehicle cannot be sold in the United States unless it complies with U.S. laws governing motor vehicles. The laws governing motor vehicle safety apply to all vehicles other than motorcycles if their date of entry into the United States is less than 25 years after the date of manufacture. Motor vehicle safety laws also apply to motorcycles manufactured after January 1, 1969.

Federal law also requires that motor vehicles beginning with the 1969 model year, and motorcycles manufactured after December 31, 1977, meet all air-pollution control standards. Finally, federal cost savings standards relating to imported vehicles must also be complied with. Nonresident visitors to the United States are exempt from the foregoing standards provided that the vehicle is imported for a period not to exceed one year and the vehicle is for personal use.

If you plan to emigrate to the United States and import your car permanently, or if you intend to sell your vehicle, please request a copy of the CBP pamphlet, Importing or Exporting a Car.
On a clean car they won't give you any problems looking for small pieces of dirt, just make sure your car is very clean!!!
post #17 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroiSport
He's not trying to import and register the car.
I defer to those that are quoting laws and websites. I cannot understand why this is not exploited by visiting students and others wanting non-compliant configurations. I have only seen grey cars with diplomatic plates since the crackdown in the late '70s early '80s.

Is there a bond posted to guarantee that the car leaves in a year?
post #18 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 01:30 PM

Ian, that sounds like a terrific idea!
And I'm sure I speak for most of us here when I say we'll assist in any way we can so long as it doesn't cost any money and you let us drive your car!

Tell us the schedule and we'll help figure out your route, what tracks / autocrosses to hit, and try to help out with living room floors to sleep on.
post #19 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 02:07 PM
JWA

I like the way you think. I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to do it - Go For It. That will be an awesome adventure.
post #20 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Glad we're past the car crushing stage. The shipping costs shouldn't be to prohibitive - I think about 1K for each side, give or take. I guess not many people do it because there’s no reason to do so - cheaper to buy a car in the States.

Robert, thanks for the off-line offer of full sponsorship - your modesty online is commendable OK it's a bit tongue and cheek regarding sponsors, I could do it on my own. Just figure maybe there's someone who see's some value in it. I can't think of a more noticeable way of drawing attention.

As far as the route goes, that will be decided by you lot! I haven't got a clue, which is why I'm asking for help. I'm sure a few of you would like to get the chance to drive the original Elise... I can almost imagine Stan going crazy with all his datalogging gear comparing G-forces and acceleration

Luckily it's Honda powered, would be a problem trying to get Rover parts for it I'll imagine.

So we have the Dragons tail so far in Tennessee.

I'll ring around a few shipping companies tomorrow to see how feasible it is. I'm thinking around 14 days to do the trip +-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in