MKE to BOS road trip - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

MKE to BOS road trip

I am the chase car for my wife and a couple colleagues that are riding motorbikes to Boston from Milwaukee and back next week. just over 2K miles round trip.

Naturally, our '11 Elise SC is the car I'll use as the chase.

The car is in very good shape (6K), and I made a relatively thorough inspection, we look good to go. Maintenance has been fastidious for the car anyway.
I'll be bringing a tool kit to deal with most bike and car issues, and am look forward to the journey!
We'll be going across the lake on the boat, then MI to Canada, through Buffalo to Boston. Return trip is TBD.
I'll post some thoughts & pics as the journey unfolds next week for anyone interested.

Please wish us good weather & safe travels!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 05:49 PM
Less is Better

Good luck for sure. On a highway road trip, I'd pick something else but more power to you.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Ive got a 944, a Volvo C30, a FIAT Abarth, or a 1950 Ford as alternatives, so this may be the best of the worst!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 07:20 PM

Good luck!

If you plan to pass through Springfield MA, send me a PM. If I'm around (I'm in and out a lot) we could put you up for a night.

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Y. Berra
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 07:54 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Z View Post
Ive got a 944, a Volvo C30, a FIAT Abarth, or a 1950 Ford as alternatives, so this may be the best of the worst!
Ha - I'd take a 944 (if it was well kept) on a road trip in a heartbeat. One of Porsche's best driver's cars ever.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 09:34 AM

We live 18 miles west of Boston, feel free to stop in or ping for any local questions.

Henry
'05 Elise
'76 930
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 12:09 PM

I've gone on many multi-day road trips. I've never had any issues.

If you have a spare key it is worth bringing along.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all - ME, the 944 has been in the family since new. Father in Law bought it (its an 88 2.7 n/a), 93K original miles, white/black, lovely. It is a nice driving car indeed!

HenryM - thank you for the offer, I am going to see my brother and his family in N Andover, I may hit you up, depending on the schedule.

David - the extra key is a great idea, I will add to the mech kit I have prepared for the car and bikes. Prob bring another bike key too.

We're off tomorrow, ciao!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:35 PM

I drive long distances in the lotus elise all the time..just did 2.5k miles a couple of weeks ago, drove around 8-12hrs a day..depending on the day. It's quite reliable when everything is working right. Anyway, have a safe journey and enjoy America's best roads..and its great that you are going with motorcycles..just like the Lotus, most of them enjoy the mountain range. Someday when I head over to the East Coast, maybe you guys can give me some advice on all the great roads out there.

2005 Lotus Elise (Starlight Black)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:40 PM
Ticket Magnet

Look forward to Tales of the Travels!
Good Luck!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Well, we made it!!
Arrived in BOS around 8pm tonight. went across the Lake MI ferry, crossed back to the US at Niagra Falls, and into MA via B roads, even drove by Watkins Glen!

The Elise was a great complement to 4 moto riders, from a couple new Road Kings to y wife's XR1200x Sportster.

I'll pull pics soon, I am dropping the car off to my brother to park at his home tomorrow, thanks to $50+ parking t the hotel for both of our machines!!
The car was a dream to drive, and though it does so much well, I still miss the behavior of our '06 n/a car more...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Finally had some time to catch breath from the return drive & getting back to local life. I hope everyone's had a good Labor Day weekend.
The trip went very well - I was the chase for 4 riders, carrying my wife and my luggage for the Boston visit. There was a big Harley-Davidson meeting in Boston, so she a three colleagues chose to ride out for the event. We took three days to get there, starting in MKE, and taking our brilliant ferry across Lake Michigan. About a 2 hour crossing, it 'cir-sum-vents' (any Arrested Development fans out there?) Chicago, which as much as I love that city, it can be tough to pass through.
From Grand Rapids, we entered Canada at Fort Edwards (maybe?) and spend the night.
Day two brought us checking out the Falls from the Canada side, and a long wait at the inbound US border.
We drove through beautiful b roads in NY and MA, including right by Watkins Glen!
The Elise was flawless, and was a great complement to the 4 bikes, especially on relaxed/light enthusiastic roads.
We returned on our own (the others had their bikes shipped back), closing to take the interstates from Boston to Buffalo to Cleveland on day 1! 650 miles!
Day 2 was only impacted by rain, but that was overcome by rain gear and the threat of missing our 445pm ferry to MKE.
Im very proud of my wife's riding, the car for being a solid companion and a fun transit method, and mother nature for helping us out (mostly) with clear skies and moderate temps.
We hit 10K on this trip, both for the Elise, and for my wife's XR1200x.

Thank you group for the advice on the keys (I did bring the extra), and the hospitality offers. Im sorry not to have stopped in, and grateful for not needing to!
Attached Images

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

A few more from the road, hotel, boat, etc.
Attached Images

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

last couple, thanks for looking.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in