Pebble Beach/Monterey Week - Planning a Trip - Input? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Pebble Beach/Monterey Week - Planning a Trip - Input?

So, the spousal unit and I are planning a fun trip to end at the Concours/Monterey Week in August.

I'm in LA a lot on business and SF/San Jose once a month, but hate to say, I've never done the LA to SF drive. Our plan is to fly into LA, rent something fun and do the up the 101 trip and stop along the way. We'll end in Monterey for the car shows and such.

Any suggestions on must sees for that week? Places to stay? I've been to Monterey/Carmel and I've played Pebble Beach but that was business stuff. I don't know much about that week - so any veterans, what are must dos/must avoids?

On a side note, I'm born and raised in Chicago and she's from Michigan. At age 40, I am officially done with cold weather. We are looking at potentially doing the life changing move to warmer climes with better scenery/topography so a good oppty to experience that as well.

'California dreamin'....on such a (sh*tty) winter's day....'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 08:11 PM

Historic race at Laguna Seca, Saturday in the busiest day. Went to the practice day during the week for the first time last year. Hardly anyone around and a great way to chat with the owners and take a closer look at the cars. Concorso Italiano , would be a good way to spend Friday. Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance , they have a pre-show drive and show in Carmel. Quail Lodge was a nice small showing of some very nice cars.

This will give you an idea of last years events- Monterey Classic Car Week 2010 - The Event and Auction Schedule

Drive back on Highway 1, if you haven’t done it before. Know lots of great back-roads you can take if you want to take a little more time heading down from LA.
Upper 60s to low 70 temps for a couple weeks now, so the weather of late is living up to the rep.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 08:25 PM

The drive up is awesome. Stay the night in central Cali. (morro bay, cambria, ragged point inn, or central wine country) there is something going on everyday... Just depends what your into/ want to do. Tues-sunday... But some big ticket items would be concourse, laguna historics, and pebble (bring warm clothes,,,) Carmel by the sea is wonderful. Monterey is fun, aquarium is nice too. Carmel valley wineriers and restaurants are cool and there some amazing hidden gems all over.

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:02 PM

The drive up is just stunning along the coast. I don't know how far north you are planning on going, but if you make it to San Francisco, be sure to take the drive through Big Basin park.

Back in the day before GPS, I missed the exit and thought, meh just another park. A sweet old man at the gas station told me to turn around and take the drive... and let me tell you, I'd thank him if I could because the drive through Big Basin is spectacular!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:19 PM

That's a good 70 miles north of where they will be spending most of their time. They recently picked up more land (Little Basin) that they will be adding to the park.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks - I've been to Big Basin.

I think we want to focus mainly on what lies between LA and Monterey and if there are any specific things we MUST do during Pebble Beach Week.

For example, I told Mrs SwingLo that we MUST do Concours DeLemons. Looks like a blast!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:57 PM

If you like German cars at all there's a fantastic concours at the rancho canada golf course on friday. I believe it's free to spectators. I should have my '68 BMW in it. The races are incredible to watch also, I especially like Sunday.

1969 Lotus Elan
1968 BMW 1600

Livin' life in the '60's ;-)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 02:57 PM

You can hit Hearst Castle on your drive up.

You might consider staying at the Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur on your way up. At the very least, have dinner at Sierra Mar at the Post Ranch Inn.

Monterey "Weekend" is a weeklong sensory overload. Be preapared to be absolutely floored by things at the start of the week that you'll be nonplussed about by the end. "oh look... another Veyron... yawn."

Stuff is pricey, yet books up / sells out / is crowded. so plan ahead accordingly. I like hitting practice at Laguna during the week, The Quail Friday, Laguna Saturday and Pebble Sunday, with some industry stuff and auctions sprinkled in here and there. All of the static displays are great and all, but to see / hear the cars run in anger at Laguna is a Gearhead Mecca.

Check Sports Car Market's and Hagerty's guides to Monterey. They list everything going on with full contact info, etc. If you are a Hagerty Plus member you can have their concierge book stuff for you.

Enjoy

Frank Amoroso
Fun with cars
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitfan View Post
The drive up is awesome. Stay the night in central Cali. (morro bay, cambria, ragged point inn, or central wine country) there is something going on everyday... Just depends what your into/ want to do. Tues-sunday... But some big ticket items would be concourse, laguna historics, and pebble (bring warm clothes,,,) Carmel by the sea is wonderful. Monterey is fun, aquarium is nice too. Carmel valley wineriers and restaurants are cool and there some amazing hidden gems all over.
Yes to all of the above. Additionally be prepared for the micro climates. It can be foggy and 58 degrees at Carmel by the Sea then sunny and in the 80's 10-12 miles east at one of the wineries. In regards to the events, there are some great events early in the week that I actually find more enjoyable. I tend to stay away from the herd on some of the common weekend events as it's just a little overwhelming. But, if you feel the need to see rows of identical Ferrari's parked together then you are at Concorso on Friday!

We will have a group driving from San Diego.

Last edited by paulhastings; 01-26-2011 at 04:33 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 04:28 PM

^^ yea, but slackers like that miss the line up of the alfa B.A.T. cars
ohhh... did i say alfa - getting all warm and fuzzy now!

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:07 PM

I'm surprised no one has said this yet...

BOOK A HOTEL NOW!!!!
Hotels during the week get impossible to find and get expensive. Alternatives are Seaside, Marina, Salinas, Watsonville, Aptos.

As usual the GGLC will have a Lotus Corral. Watch for upcoming announcements for discount group buy tickets.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

Lotus events in California - www.gglotus.org
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunElan View Post
If you like German cars at all there's a fantastic concours at the rancho canada golf course on friday. I believe it's free to spectators. I should have my '68 BMW in it. The races are incredible to watch also, I especially like Sunday.
SwingLo,

You haven't been here on the forum long enough to know this, so I'll just give you the 411 myself.

Meeting FunElan would be worth the trip alone.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDad View Post
SwingLo,

You haven't been here on the forum long enough to know this, so I'll just give you the 411 myself.

Really?

Last time someone on the internet said 'you really gotta meet this person', I wound up stuck in a 15 foot deep pit for a week with a guy in a lace corset telling me that 'it puts the lotion in the basket'

Actually, I look forward to meeting more Lotus Talkers.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamai View Post
I'm surprised no one has said this yet...

BOOK A HOTEL NOW!!!!
Hotels during the week get impossible to find and get expensive. Alternatives are Seaside, Marina, Salinas, Watsonville, Aptos.

As usual the GGLC will have a Lotus Corral. Watch for upcoming announcements for discount group buy tickets.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
I'll second that. Actually, this should have been done months ago but, if you get after it now you may find something decent. Everything is 2-3 times normal price. It's worth it!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDad View Post
SwingLo,

Wow, thanks for the kind words RoadDad! Not sure what I did to deserve that haha.

1969 Lotus Elan
1968 BMW 1600

Livin' life in the '60's ;-)
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 11:24 PM

The scenery on highway 1 through Big Sur is life changing.

Phantom Black 2007 Exige Kold Fire, Tesla double din dash.
Black 01' Mustang Cobra 'Vert ("some" modifications) daily driver
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 AM

Really fun trip, we did this for our honeymoon in October last year. Flew in to LA, rented a BMW 128i convertible for about $700 bucks for the week. Drive up highway 101 stopping in San Luis Obispo to do some sand dune ATV riding then Monterey for the night then up to SF for a few days before hitting Pebble beach/17 mile drive, Hearst Castle on the way back and then down to San Diego. The Nepenthe restaurant had an amazing view, although the food was average at best but the view alone is worth it at sunset.

We were running late for the Hearst Castle tour so I made it through the mountains between Carmel and San Simeon in about an hour and 20 mins, that was FUN!

View from the patio at Nepenthe

07 Porsche 911 GT3
10 BMW M3
03 BMW 330i ZHP
06 Canyon Red Elise- Katana SC (sold)
06 LRG Elise- (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in