LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   Roadtrip! (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f135/)
-   -   Roadtrip! Taking the Noble across America (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f135/roadtrip-taking-noble-across-america-56306/)

Randy Chase 05-07-2008 05:58 PM

Roadtrip! Taking the Noble across America

Here is the plan, subject to change at any time.

Connecticut and the Atlantic to San Diego and the Pacific via Tail of the Dragon and Route 66, two icons of the American Road..plus two racetracks, Watkins Glen and Autobahn Country Club. ~4500 miles.

The quick rundown-June 5th Thursday. Fly into White Plains NY. Pick up car from Pat Salerno in New Milford. Stay with Pat.

June 6th Friday. Leave in morning for Watkins Glen. 260 miles and 5 hours. Speed WC TC #2 at 2:30 and GT at 6:40pm. Stay at Watkins Glen.

June 7th Saturday. Watkins Glen. 8:00am qualifying TC. 9:55am qualifying GT. Rolex 6 Hours at The Glen. Dinner with LT people @ Seneca Lodge. Stay at Watkins Glen.

June 8th Sunday. Leave in morning. Breakfast meeting with LOONYs? 8 hours to Detroit. Leave by 8:00am. Arrive by 4:00pm in the afternoon. Dinner at Buddy’s with family. Stay in Detroit.

June 9th Monday. Detroit. Visit relatives. Dinner at Hogan’s with LT people Stay in Detroit.

June 10th Tuesday. Fly out of Detroit Metro to San Diego. Northwest 10:06am.

June 14th Saturday. Fly back to Detroit Metro. Northwest arrives 4:02pm. Pick up car. Drive to Chicago and stop there. Arrive ~10:30pm

June 15th Sunday. Start Route 66 to Joliet. Drive at Autobahn Country Club. Leave Joliet via Route 66 to Bloomington and then leave Route 66 to drive to Deals Gap. Check in at lodge by 11:00pm.

June 16th Monday. Tail of the Dragon. Woot.

June 17th Tuesday. Leave Deals Gap, drive to Cincinnati and visit 1GRacing/Rossion. Leave and drive to Indianapolis IN. Dinner at St Elmos. Stop at Champaign IL.

June 18th Wednesday. Champaign IL to Bloomington to pick up Route 66. Head to Springfield MO. Consider possible detour to Tuscumbia MO, Lake of the Ozarks.

June 19th Thursday. Leave Springfield MO to Oklahoma City OK and then to Tucumcari NM. 650 miles. 9 hrs 35 mins.

June 20th Friday. Tucumcari NM to Flagstaff AZ. 500miles 7 hours. Or to Kingman AZ 643 miles 9 hours.

June 21st Saturday. Flagstaff AZ to Santa Monica CA. 482miles. 7 hour. Or Kingman to Santa Monica, 335m 5 hours

June 22nd Sunday. Drive to San Diego. Collapse.

Short list of stuff to take and see if it fits in the car (does the car have a cig lighter adapter???).
Valentine 1
GPS
Mini-Laptop
Inverter
PDR + camera
32gig CF cards
Emergency Toolkit
Cellphone (charger)
Camera + extra cards

andykeck 05-07-2008 06:03 PM

I missed something. There's a Noble?

Bavarian Motorist 05-07-2008 06:07 PM

Randy bought a Noble M400 from HRM :)

Cool Randy. I will be at the Glen that day. Too bad you can't spend more time in NY area!

Randy Chase 05-07-2008 06:52 PM

I could spend more time, but then the other part of the trip would be delayed. I am on a mission.

So you going to be around on Saturday night?

Andy
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...00-sold-56141/

FLuXeXigeS 05-07-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist (Post 1002894)

Cool Randy. I will be at the Glen that day. Too bad you can't spend more time in NY area!

OMG WTF...i did miss something, im jealous, post pics, too bad you're not gonna have it this weekend, woulda loved to see it in person!!!

IMO Nobles the next upgrade to a Lotus, LOL

Congrats:clap:

Bavarian Motorist 05-07-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Chase (Post 1002925)
I could spend more time, but then the other part of the trip would be delayed. I am on a mission.

So you going to be around on Saturday night?

Andy
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...00-sold-56141/

I'll be around Saturday. I'm actually changing my license plate to "THE GLEN".

JWA 05-07-2008 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist (Post 1002894)

Cool - congrat's Randy! Sounds like a great car and trip, both a great way to take some time off and to spend some of the Autoforum money :). Have fun!

JWA 05-07-2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Chase (Post 1002884)
Tuesday June 10th. Leave Detroit for Chicago.283 miles or 4.5 hours. Lotustalk lunch in Chicago area if there is interest?

I'm in IF I'm in town. I have the RallyCross Eastern Championship in D.C. at the end of that week and haven't yet decided how early I'll be heading over. But, if I'm in town I'm up for lunch. I missed the last two times that you were in town.

ML1media 05-07-2008 07:47 PM

Quote:

Here is the plan, subject to change at any time.

Tuesday June 10th. Leave Detroit for Chicago.283 miles or 4.5 hours. Lotustalk lunch in Chicago area if there is interest? Leave Chicago in early afternoon for start of Route 66. Cicero, Berwyn, Joliet, Wilmington, Braidwood, Gardner, Odell, Pontiac, Bloomington, McLean, Atlanta, Lincoln and stop in Springfield. Total distance 454m, 7 hours

Consider this official INTEREST. Yes, I'd make time for a lunch in Chicago...although I don't think you wanna park THAT ride for more than 90 seconds in Cicero.....even parts of Berwyn for that matter. And 66 can be TOUGH sledding in the city---til you get out past McCook.

john m.

ekological 05-07-2008 07:52 PM

Without a doubt, take Rt 17 all the way up. Congrats on the car and to good health!

Quote:

Friday June 6th. Leave AM for Watkins Glen Racetrack ("The Glen"). Scenic route through Catskills. Could use some guidance here. Arrive at The Glen in 5-6 hours, or early afternoon. Star Mazda, SPEED World Challenge GT and TC, Grand Am Rolex. Stay near track.

SweetDaddyD 05-07-2008 07:52 PM

Awesome. Love the Nobles. Road trip sounds like a great idea.
Just too bad to spend that time in Detroit! lol. (I'm from just south of there)

Randy Chase 05-07-2008 07:57 PM

I tried working out the schedule a number of ways where I ended up at Deals Gap with the Lotus/Fox Valley crew... but that adds a lot of days to my trip, then I would have to go back up north to Chicago or forget the start of Route 66.

On the other hand... hmm....

tvacc 05-07-2008 08:05 PM

Randy...the LOONYs will be up to meet you for breakfast on Sunday Morning...

We could meet at Zorbas....it is a breakfast joint...hotdog joint near buffalo.

I assume you will be coming through Buffalo if you are going to go through Canada...

If you are not...then you will drive the southern NY route...through OHIO....

andykeck 05-07-2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Chase (Post 1002925)

Oh hell. I wanna do that too. Maybe I should look for a job.

Congrats!:coolnana:

JWA 05-07-2008 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Chase (Post 1002982)
I tried working out the schedule a number of ways where I ended up at Deals Gap with the Lotus/Fox Valley crew... but that adds a lot of days to my trip, then I would have to go back up north to Chicago or forget the start of Route 66.

On the other hand... hmm....

FWIW, I'd trade the first portions of Rt. 66 for the Gap any day - no question. The IL sections of Rt. 66 are just crappy through town highways nowadays.

Forget the dumpy run down unrecognizable great road from the past that no longer exists and go take your new supercar over to the greatest road that we currently have. You never know how long The Dragon will be there in all of it's glory, and what is the likelihood that you will ever be back there in that car?

Randy Chase 05-07-2008 10:26 PM

It is a point. I am not a completist that feels I have to start in downtown Chicago. Let me look over the route again. And my time.

Keep in mind I have done the Dragon... and I have great roads like the Dragon in California, we really do. I just keep telling myself that I want to do Route 66 for other reasons than driving.... and I know it will be a lot of crappy mixed in with bad Americana....but still...

Randy Chase 05-07-2008 10:43 PM

Alternate crazy universe plan-

Thursday June 5th. Fly into White Plains Connecticut. Arrive PM. Stay with Evopat (Elise77). Pick up car.

Friday June 6th. Leave AM for Watkins Glen Racetrack ("The Glen"). Scenic route through Catskills. Could use some guidance here. Arrive at The Glen in 5-6 hours, or early afternoon. Star Mazda, SPEED World Challenge GT and TC, Grand Am Rolex. Stay near track.

Saturday June 7th. Stay at track. SPEED World Challenge Qualifying and then Rolex 6 Hours at The Glen. Stay near track. Anyone want to get together Saturday night?

Sunday June 8th. Leave AM for Detroit. Possibly miss SPEED World Challenge races at 8:25-9:40 TC and 10:50-11:55 GT. Or watch them. Leave by noon. Drive to Detroit via Cleveland/Toledo (or maybe the north route via Canada?). 7 hour drive. Dinner with family Sunday night. Stay in Detroit area.

Monday June 9th. Detroit. Visit family. Lotustalk meet up at Hogan's Restaurant in Bloomfield Hills at 7:00pm if there is enough interest. Stay in Detroit.

Tuesday June 10th. Leave Detroit for Chicago.283 miles or 4.5 hours. Lotustalk lunch in Chicago area if there is interest? Leave Chicago in early afternoon for start of Route 66. Cicero, Berwyn, Joliet, Wilmington, Braidwood, Gardner, Odell, Pontiac, Bloomington, McLean, Atlanta, Lincoln and stop in Springfield. Total distance 454m, 7 hours

Wednesday June 11th. Leave Springfield. Litchfield, Stauntan, St Louis. Veer off Route 66 to Lexington KY.

Thursday June 12th. Leave Lexington for Deals Gap 4 hours. Stay at Deals Gap.

Friday June 13th. Drive Tail of the Dragon again. Leave and drive back to St Louis. Stay in St Louis for the night. Back on Route 66.

Saturday June 12th. Leave St Louis and drive to Oklahoma City OK

Sunday June 13th. Leave to Albuquerque NM.

Monday. Albuquerque to San Diego. This may too long a stretch and may require another day.

Randy Chase 05-07-2008 10:55 PM

I really wish I could make this work somehow with my schedule-
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f96/...-2008-a-48985/

They are arriving on Sunday the 15th.

I could do my trip up to Detroit and then fly out of Detroit on the Tuesday the 10th, leaving the Noble there. Get back to work in San Diego and then fly back to Detroit on Saturday the 13th. That gives me Wednesday, Thursday, Friday back at work. Pick up the car on Saturday and drive it to Deals Gap on the Sunday the 14th.

Downside is air travel time, but I can get 4 hour flights so its not so bad.

If I am Deals Gap, probably stay there until Wednesday morning. Leave there to St Louis and just do Route 66 from there. Get back to San Diego probably late Sunday.

25psi_Elise_Killer 05-07-2008 11:27 PM

Wow, i wish i have a chance to do this sometime. Hmm....Have you ever been to Niagra Falls? Is it too far out of the way?

JWA 05-07-2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Chase (Post 1003060)
If I am Deals Gap, probably stay there until Wednesday morning. Leave there to St Louis and just do Route 66 from there. Get back to San Diego probably late Sunday.

About half of the section of Rt. 66 you'd miss consists of stop and go urban streets, which I can't imagine would be much fun in the Noble. Hooking up with the HTTH group would be cool since you'd have some other Noble's to run with and talk shop with the owners. Either way, you'll have a hell of a time.