Roadtrip! Taking the Noble across America - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 11:23 AM

Oh....one thing you CANNOT bring into Canada is a firearm.
Edit...
One more thing..We all have it around here as we go to Canada all the time. You should get a special form from your insurance company saying you have insurance in Canada. I always forget, but it is available.....just ask you agent.

Tony Vaccaro
2005 Elise Ardent Red, www.lotusowners.com LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York) and the Church of the HolyLotus, Drive Fast Take Chances, 93 Caterham 7, 71 Elan, 70 Elan GTS, 1991 M100, 1999 Sport 190 Elise, 1974 Europa TC, 1973 Europa JPS #15 TwinCam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chase View Post
Question for our Northern friends.... leaving Watkins Glen to head to Detroit, the fastest and most direct route will be through Niagara and then Canada. This saves me 30 minutes off the Ohio route. Are there any downsides to going through Canada? Do I need anything special? Proof of insurance?
Definitely bring your passport, bill of sale, proof of insurance and driver's license.

2007 Exige S - Krypton Green - VF Stage 2 - RLS Intercooler - Volk TE37s - B&M Shifter - 2bular header & exhaust - Sector111 motorsport engine mounts - stripes - harnesses - Pagid pads - Green air filter
post #43 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 01:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickOpalak View Post
Definitely bring your passport, bill of sale, proof of insurance and driver's license.
I motorcycled from Detroit to NY one time. One thing I didn't even think of was not having any Canadian money in the middle of the night once I got hungry and finding a place that was open and would take a credit card. I didn't. But some guy behind me in line bought my sandwich for me at Tim Horton's.

Most other times I was in Canada I was close to the border, and they took either currency.

post #44 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 01:53 PM

US and CAN currency is at par...or the CAN is actually worth about 2 cents more. Most take it at Par.

Even though I drive it quite frequently, the last time I went across I stopped for gas at one of the large BP or ESSO stations on the 401. My credit card would not work and when I checked in with home, my wife told me that the CC company had called and stopped my card...thought it was a stolen card.

They had to reactivate it. Another time when I was driving a M100 across CAN I was doing like a constant 100....I stopped at two stations and at the second they stopped my card. I had to call them. The guy would not believe that I made it from point A to point B that fast....thought that was a fraud purchase as well.

I always use a CC when I can in Canada...that way you always get the best rates.

Tony Vaccaro
2005 Elise Ardent Red, www.lotusowners.com LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York) and the Church of the HolyLotus, Drive Fast Take Chances, 93 Caterham 7, 71 Elan, 70 Elan GTS, 1991 M100, 1999 Sport 190 Elise, 1974 Europa TC, 1973 Europa JPS #15 TwinCam.
post #45 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 01:59 PM
www.theapexinn.com

We always fuel in Buffalo before we cross Canada. Go through SARNIA out of London. Do not go through Windsor ....Lots of small towns & traffic, and theres a lot of construction on the Detroit side. Roads are great from London to Sarnia ( we just did that trip last week ) I'll be leaving the morning of the 9th for Ga. But if you get in on the 8th, I'd like to meet you in Novi to say hi !

BTW: Watkins Glen to Novi takes us a little less than 7 hours. Yes, bring your passport. Gas in Canada right now is 1.20 a litre........ no alcohol or fresh produce across any borders.

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "

Last edited by kestrel74; 05-08-2008 at 02:12 PM.
post #46 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 02:07 PM
www.theapexinn.com

and
Attached Images

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
post #47 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 03:30 PM

Randy, I'm inviting myself over to your house when you return.

05 "Elixige" w/ Stuff - SOLD
post #48 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 04:18 PM
www.theapexinn.com

You will be amazed at how much Novi has changed since you've been there last.

www.theapexinn.com
post #49 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 04:55 PM

Road Trip Planning

Helpful site for planning a road trip - shows twisties , scenic roads etc
MotorcycleRoads.US
post #50 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 05:26 PM
www.theapexinn.com

IF you need a garage to park in while you're in Novi... I have plenty of room.

www.theapexinn.com
post #51 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Alternate crazy universe plan-

Thursday June 5th. Fly into White Plains Connecticut.
Randy, just a quick note, White Plains is in NY (I live there), and the airport is near my house, if you need a ride PM me.
Greg

Laser blue,biscuit, micro mirror, "Blue knob" ,HID lights,Euro LED rear lights,LED headlight rings,rear badge,blue starter button, replaced speakers,perma grin,
Club111 The Sith lord of the LB's loyal henchman
post #52 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 06:00 PM

sounds awesome randy. wish i could be there!

2011 PB Lotus Evora
2014 RAM 1500 Express - Black Express Package (DD)
2006 KG Elise - SOLD
post #53 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 06:04 PM

In Arizona, one of the best scenic/twisty roads is US 191 between Alpine and Clifton -- 94 miles of countless curves and mountain grades. It's a workout!

Steve -- '05 Laser Blue, Biscuit, Sport/Touring, Starshield
post #54 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Alternate crazy universe plan-

Thursday June 5th...

Monday. Albuquerque to San Diego. This may too long a stretch and may require another day.
If you need a break from ABQ to San Diego you may consider stopping by the Phoenix area. Its about 5-6 drive from here to San Diego. I've done it plenty of times over the years.

P.S. You have a room, a pool, and a meal at your disposal here if you need it during your journey! However everything turns out in regards to days/stops etc... have a great trip! Then post some pictures here upon you return; that is after you have some time to recover.

2006 Elise
post #55 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Modified plan a bit. Key points and possible meets-
June 5th Thu. White Plains NY. Pick up car. Stay in New Milford CT.
June 6th Fri. Leave in morning for Watkins Glen Racetrack.
June 7th Sat. Watkins Glen
June 8th Sun. Drive to Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Detroit
June 9th Mon. Detroit.
June 10th Tue. Fly out of Detroit Metro to San Diego.
June 14th Sat. Fly back to Detroit Drive to Chicago
June 15th Sun. Drive Joliet. Track day at Autobahn. Drive to Bloomington IL via Route 66. Drive to Deals Gap NC LONG DAY
June 16th Mon. Tail of the Dragon.
June 17th Tue. Leave Deals Gap. Drive to Cincinnati Stop at 1Gracing (Rossion) then Indianapolis (dinner ar St Elmos).
June 18th Wed. Drive to Bloomington. Pick up Route 66. Drive to St Louis or Lebanon.
June 19th Thu. Oklahoma City or Amarillo
June 20th Fri. Albuquerque NM or Flagstaff
June 21st Sat. Laughlin NV or Santa Monica
June 22nd Sun. To San Diego

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #56 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 02:14 PM

Sounds like a great trip!

That's a beautiful car, Randy...
post #57 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 03:14 PM

Randy,

I've driven many times between Springfield, MO (my home town) and Phoenix. Instead of staying at Amarillo, you might consider Tucumcari, NM. It's not much further and it doesn't smell like a feed lot Tucumcari is a very quiet, tiny town and you'd probably feel more comfortable parking overnight where there's virtually no traffic.

post #58 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrblu View Post
Randy,

I've driven many times between Springfield, MO (my home town) and Phoenix. Instead of staying at Amarillo, you might consider Tucumcari, NM. It's not much further and it doesn't smell like a feed lot Tucumcari is a very quiet, tiny town and you'd probably feel more comfortable parking overnight where there's virtually no traffic.
I have stayed in Tucumcari and really liked it. I was considering that.

The motel I stayed in was perfect.. like something from the 50s. With a diner.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #59 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickOpalak View Post
Randy - join us at the Dragon!!!
We talked him into it Mick!!! A third Noble will be in attendance at the event. That means 3% of all the US. M400s will be on the Dragon's Tail June 16th.
post #60 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:57 PM

Randy,

You don't mention your route from Flagstaff to Santa Monica. You might want to check out highway 89-A. It will take you through Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona, Jerome, and Prescott. Those are some really nice roads (see the Scottsdale Lotus Sunday drive video... it includes parts of 89-A). From there, you can cut diagonally across Arizona and meet up with I-10.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in