Roadtrip! Taking the Noble across America - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Not the admin anymore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chase View Post
The 16th I will be at Tail of the Dragon. Leaving on Tuesday for Ohio. Should be in Chicago Wednesday 6-18. *crosses fingers*
There is a road sign marking the beginning of Historic Rte. 66, but there is a lot of construction going on in that area by the Art Institute. This coming week, I'll check to make sure the sign is still there and that the road is open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Leave Deals Gap sometime on Tuesday morning. Drive up to 1Gracing in Ohio. Stay in Ohio.
Why are you going to 1G ("Silverstone Autosports" now)? Do you need service? Aside from that there isn't much there to see (especially with the switch over to the Rossion Q1, which hasn't arrived stateside yet). Here is the list of what will be on the floor when you arrive......

Used Cars at Silverstone Autosports in Hamilton, OH - Inventory

The guys there are great but thats a pretty long haul just to say hello. Just thought you might wanna know before you drive all that way.
post #83 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Hmm.. good point. I guess it would not be like going to Hethel. I need to review my ever-changing itinerary.

I hope to have nothing to do with fixing the car by that point. The car is heading over to Farnbacher Loles this week for some modifications by some race team guys. They are also supposed to go over the car and make sure it is 100%.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)

post #84 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Hmm..
I hope to have nothing to do with fixing the car by that point. The car is heading over to Farnbacher Loles this week for some modifications by some race team guys. They are also supposed to go over the car and make sure it is 100%.
Man, you have a remote mechanic crew working on your Noble before even starting your road trip I'm jealous
post #85 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 10:26 AM

Randy, a word of caution for Farn-Loles: DO NOT INSTALL A SECOND OIL TO AIR COOLER IN THE DRIVER"S SIDE AIR DUCT OF THE CAR. This is a world wide design issue that several of us have found at our own trouble when we set up the cars to run at the track. The proximity of the second cooler to the fuel tank will bring the fuel to boil and cause a vapor lock in the fuel system until liquid cool down if the second cooler is placed in this specific location. There is no defence/shielding/ducting against this failure and several of us went to great pain to discover this fact. Search the Noble forum for alternatives (oil to water, front placement secondary oil to air, hybrid coolant system) if you are wanting to go with a second cooler. Thought this might help in case your tuner is not familiar with the cars. Call us if you need further info, pm. me and Ill give you our # if you need it.
post #86 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 07:03 PM
JWA

How exactly does the Rosion Q1 fit into things? Noble is still operating and about to release a new car, and 1G bought the rights to the M400 and is developing it under the Rossion name? And if 1G was the Noble importer, are they still going to be for the new Noble alongside theirs?
post #87 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 08:09 PM

Timing for the introduction of the new Noble (latest name = M600--twin turbo V8 with ~650 BHP ) is still uncertain. But it has been confirmed that the production of that car will be extremely limited. They have set a target of 50 cars/year, and there are no plans to make it available for the U.S. market.
The Rossion is an M400 "underneath" with an upgraded interior and bodywork, and it will be sold worldwide. The reason for the name change is that Lee Noble sold the rights to produce the M400 chassis to 1GRacing in the U.S. under the condition that the new car would not be badged as a Noble. As a result, the production of U.S. Nobles ended at chassis # 220 about 1 year ago. The first U.S. Rossions will start appearing in the next month or so.

Joel
'67 S3 Elan dhc (owned since 1970)
'10 Evora (Carbon Grey/Charcoal)
'13 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design
post #88 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 09:28 PM
JWA

Interesting. Thanks for the recap. sounds like the M400's at their current prices are the hot ticket.
post #89 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 01:39 PM

A group of people had a walk through at rossion a few months back and they said they were in the process of building a few in house. Which i would assume be pretty cool to see.

Ive never been inside or met anybody there.

Maybe you should call them to see if it would be worth your while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusFamily View Post
Why are you going to 1G ("Silverstone Autosports" now)? Do you need service? Aside from that there isn't much there to see (especially with the switch over to the Rossion Q1, which hasn't arrived stateside yet). Here is the list of what will be on the floor when you arrive......

Used Cars at Silverstone Autosports in Hamilton, OH - Inventory

The guys there are great but thats a pretty long haul just to say hello. Just thought you might wanna know before you drive all that way.

-White Rossion Q1

07 white Exige S--Sold
04' Lexus Turbo IS300 BSM "track car"
--SOLD

"Straight lines dont mean sh**"
post #90 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
2 Weeks to Go! Latest itinerary..as it evolves.
-----

The second half of the trip is right now variable. I might stop at Autobahn Racetrack in Joliet. If so, that will change my times. And the Route 66 portion is a major variable. I can see getting my fill of old Americana and slower roads after some time on it... or maybe not. So possibly I get off of Route 66 and blast down the freeways... like maybe to Las Vegas and then down I-15. Or maybe I can stick it out and do all of the driveable Route 66. So anyway, I am leaving open my plans after Chicago.

By the way, Noble was at Farnbacher Loles from Wednesday until today. They topped up the AC ("it is not blowing ice cubes out the vents") and proclaimed the car to be like new with a clean engine. Car is heading over to Pruven Performance on Sunday for a private tuning day with a Noble guru who is coming down from Lime Rock where he is working with a Grand Am team. He will be looking at some tunes, and also some suspension mods and to make sure the 11" wide rear rims will fit or if I have to do a suspension arm modification.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #91 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 08:26 PM

Randy,

From your post above, I am planning on meeting you at the Seneca Lodge about 3:30 or 4 pm on Sat. That is what I told my group of LOONYs that live down that way.

I am starting to think we should have breakfast at my house...as opposed to the restaurant on Sunday morning. Joanne and I will make pancakes...bacon...etc.etc.

I have thrown this out to the LOONYs...and will see what they say.

Let me know how to get the tickets from you for Sat.

Tony Vaccaro
2005 Elise Ardent Red, www.lotusowners.com LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York) and the Church of the HolyLotus, Drive Fast Take Chances, 93 Caterham 7, 71 Elan, 70 Elan GTS, 1991 M100, 1999 Sport 190 Elise, 1974 Europa TC, 1973 Europa JPS #15 TwinCam.
post #92 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Car is heading over to Pruven Performance on Sunday for a private tuning day with a Noble guru who is coming down from Lime Rock where he is working with a Grand Am team. He will be looking at some tunes, and also some suspension mods and to make sure the 11" wide rear rims will fit or if I have to do a suspension arm modification.
You don't mess around.

1981 Ferrari 308GTSi, red.
2005 Hypersport Elise with roll cage, etc., SY. Katana SC, DA Nitrons, Pagid RS-14s, stainless steel brake lines, RTD brace.
2005 Noble M400, 515 bhp.
post #93 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvacc View Post
Randy,

From your post above, I am planning on meeting you at the Seneca Lodge about 3:30 or 4 pm on Sat. That is what I told my group of LOONYs that live down that way.
Sounds good.

Quote:
I am starting to think we should have breakfast at my house...as opposed to the restaurant on Sunday morning. Joanne and I will make pancakes...bacon...etc.etc.

I have thrown this out to the LOONYs...and will see what they say.
I am easy.

Quote:
Let me know how to get the tickets from you for Sat.
I will PM you my cell.

post #94 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
You don't mess around.
I didn't with the Elise either.

It will be interesting to see what we can do with this platform. My goal is conservative and reliable. But still fast. Spent some time today talking with Dean Rosen also. Getting a lot of good help and advice from many sources.

post #95 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
Here is the latest plan, subject to change at any time. I made some changes in the last day or two to reflect a different route around Chicago so I can drive at Autobahn.

Connecticut and the Atlantic to San Diego and the Pacific via Tail of the Dragon and Route 66, two icons of the American Road..plus two racetracks, Watkins Glen and Autobahn Country Club. ~4500 miles.

The quick rundown-June 5th Thursday. Fly into White Plains NY. Pick up car from Pat Salerno in New Milford. Stay with Pat.

June 6th Friday. Leave in morning for Watkins Glen. 260 miles and 5 hours. Speed WC TC #2 at 2:30 and GT at 6:40pm. Stay at Watkins Glen.

June 7th Saturday. Watkins Glen. 8:00am qualifying TC. 9:55am qualifying GT. Rolex 6 Hours at The Glen. Dinner meet @ Seneca Lodge. Stay at Watkins Glen.

June 8th Sunday. Leave in morning. Breakfast meeting with LOONYs 8 hours to Detroit. Leave by 8:00am. Arrive by 4:00pm in the afternoon. Dinner at Buddy’s with family. Stay in Detroit.

June 9th Monday. Detroit. Visit relatives. Dinner at Hogan’s with LT people Stay in Detroit.

June 10th Tuesday. Fly out of Detroit Metro to San Diego. Northwest 10:06am.

June 14th Saturday. Fly back to Detroit Metro. Northwest arrives 4:02pm. Pick up car. Drive to Chicago and stop there. Arrive ~10:30pm. Anyone up for a late meet/drinks?

June 15th Sunday. Start Route 66 to Joliet. Drive at Autobahn Country Club. Leave Joliet via Route 66 to Bloomington and then leave Route 66 to drive to Deals Gap. Check in at lodge by 11:00pm. I hope.

June 16th Monday. Tail of the Dragon. Woot.

June 17th Tuesday. Leave Deals Gap, drive to Cincinnati and visit 1GRacing/Rossion. Leave and drive to Indianapolis IN. Dinner at St Elmos. Stop at Champaign IL.

June 18th Wednesday. Champaign IL to Bloomington to pick up Route 66. Head to Springfield MO or Lebanon MO. Consider possible detour to Tuscumbia MO, Lake of the Ozarks.

June 19th Thursday. Leave Springfield/Lebanon MO to Oklahoma City OK and then to Amarillo TX or Tucumcari NM.

June 20th Friday. Amarillo TX or Tucumcari NM to Flagstaff AZ or Kingman AZ

June 21st Saturday. Flagstaff AZ or Kingman (or Laughlin) to Santa Monica CA or San Bernardino CA.

June 22nd Sunday. Santa Monica to San Diego. Collapse.

post #96 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Not the admin anymore

Garage
June 23rd Monday. Sleep

June 24th Tuesday. Sleep

June 25th Wednesday. Sleep

June 26th Thursday. Sleep

June 27th Friday. Sleep
post #97 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 06:11 PM

Pushing it...from my house just north of buffalo, NY ...I make Auto Europe in Birmingham...(Detroit) in exactly 4 hours. that is pushing it quite hard.

If I take my time...I make it in 4 hours 20-30 minutes. Dont know if that helps with your schedule into Detroit.

You have to take the 402 into Sarnia/Port Huron. On the 407...QEW...403 and 401 to the 402 you can do 80-85 as long as you are not weaving in and out. The OPP is really very nice and they usually dont bother you unless you are doing something stupid...then you cross at Sarnia Port Huron.Then it is 80 mph all the way to Detroit on I think it is 95 or 75 south.( cant remember)

Tony Vaccaro
2005 Elise Ardent Red, www.lotusowners.com LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York) and the Church of the HolyLotus, Drive Fast Take Chances, 93 Caterham 7, 71 Elan, 70 Elan GTS, 1991 M100, 1999 Sport 190 Elise, 1974 Europa TC, 1973 Europa JPS #15 TwinCam.
post #98 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 06:15 PM
www.theapexinn.com

Out of Port Huron it's 94 West to 696 West. Straight shot to Novi....takes about an hour or so...road is ....ok... if you only do 80 you won't keep up with traffic.

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
post #99 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 06:22 PM

Yes...you can do 80 no problem. the speed limit is 75. I often see 1 or 2 cars pulling people over during my travels when I go there. I know you can go 85 with little or no problem.

I always have my Valentine V1 with me...and my car has Laser shifters. Remember you cannot use a radar detector of any kind in Ontario.

And dont forget your passport (edit)

Tony Vaccaro
post #100 of 183 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 07:20 PM
DPM

Randy,

Did you make arrangements with FVMC or Autobahn to get on the track?

Our track is for members only unless it's a paid event weekend like NASA, SCCA or a club. Check with Bill Nuccio Jr. I hate to see you get there only to get turned away at the gate.

It's a great track!

If I can help let me know.

2006 Diasio D962R Arancio Borealis
2010 Subaru 2010 WRX-STI SE (Blue) SOLD
2009 Triumph Daytona 675 Triple (White / Orange)
SOLD: 05 Elise, Benetec Carbon Fiber full body & rear wing, FF 275 turbo kit ,
1992 GMC Typhoon (Dark Green), 1977 Triumph Bonneville Silver Jubilee 25th Anniversary LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in