San Diego Ca. to Portland OR. Need recommendations - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
thp

San Diego Ca. to Portland OR. Need recommendations

Hi everyone,

I'll be going from San Diego to Portland and would like recommendations on routes to take. I'll be stopping at San Francisco for the night to rest so I plan on 2 days for the whole event.

Day1: San Diego -> San Fran
Day2: San Fran -> Portland

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 06:51 PM

Even on I5 you're looking at 11 hr drive from SF to Portland. Going up the coast, Hwy 101 & Hwy 1 is much nicer, it really isn't a 1 day drive. The coastal route from SF to Portland is about 100 mi longer and adds about 3-4 hrs to the trip.

If you've got 2 days from SD to Portland it pretty much an Interstate trip. 4 days and you can make it interesting.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

Lotus events in California - www.gglotus.org

Last edited by khamai; 06-20-2011 at 08:09 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by khamai View Post
Even on I5 you're looking at 11 hr drive from SF to Portland. Going up the coast, Hwy 101 & Hwy 1 is much nicer, it really isn't a 1 day drive. The coastal route is about 100 mi longer and adds about 3-4 hrs to the trip.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
The one is closed near Hearst castle. Try the 198 to the 25 instead. I just ran it a few weeks ago and it was perfection.

Joh

2005 Elise: BRG, touring TC, LSD, Larini Exhaust. S111:Tall Rails, GPan, SubStiffy, 6 Point Schroth, Re-Enforcer, Rear Panel delete, TransElixer RLS: NCI Battery Mount, Battery disconnect switch, 1/4 turn kit Parker Battery: ETX20L Power Sport Battery Manly: Motor mount inserts

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:20 PM

My wife and I just did that trip last month. I bought my new lotus from Lotus of oregon and decided to drive it back home. We took an afternoon flight there and drove back the same day. We ended up taking 5 all the way with one stop at san francisco for one night. I tell you it was a great drive , my only advice to you is to take your time and don't drive fast. I saw 10 cops on the way , most of them hiding in random places. The drive will be long and will make you wanna drive fast to get home. take your time and enjoy it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:32 PM

Highway 1 open up about a week ago. Yup I5 to either 198 or 58 to 25 (then back to 101)would make for a fun run. Joh glad to hear you got your drive in.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 09:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB View Post
Highway 1 open up about a week ago. Yup I5 to either 198 or 58 to 25 (then back to 101)would make for a fun run. Joh glad to hear you got your drive in.
Thank you for the excellent recommendation! It was a fun drive. Pinnacles was a cool side trip.

Glad to hear the one is open again. The 25 was pretty fast. It seems the 1 is a little slower, especially with slow drivers on the road.

Joh

2005 Elise: BRG, touring TC, LSD, Larini Exhaust. S111:Tall Rails, GPan, SubStiffy, 6 Point Schroth, Re-Enforcer, Rear Panel delete, TransElixer RLS: NCI Battery Mount, Battery disconnect switch, 1/4 turn kit Parker Battery: ETX20L Power Sport Battery Manly: Motor mount inserts
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
thp

sooo... it was fun.
San Diego -> 5 -> 15 -> 101 -> 1 -> 198 -> 5 -> 152 -> 101 -> 680 -> 80 ->505 -> 5 -> HOME

Thanks for the suggestions. LSS suspension made it.... tuff for some stretches, need something softer for everyday country driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in