Suggestions on what to have in Exige on a 2,400 mile trip - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Suggestions on what to have in Exige on a 2,400 mile trip

Ok tomorrow Saturday I fly out to California to buy a 2007 Exige S and drive it back to Michigan. About a 2,400 mile trip. I am new retired so not in a hurry on drive back and more of a bucket list kind of trip. Likely ride up HWY 1 before drive home. It does happen to have all season ECSTA ASX tires on it now. (I plan change to R888 or RE71Rs once home)

Any suggestion on things I should have in the car for this long trip?

The factory recalls have been done on oil lines and ECU

Regards Alan

Current 2007 Exige S TOURING PACK, TRACK PACK, LSD, Aspen White, BOE Torque300, Tank,2bular muffler, Larini header/Decat, RLS Intercooler, Intercooler Vent Ducts/tubes PENSKE SINGLE-ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS, CUPdiscs-Front ULTRAdisc rear, Lotus AP 4 Pot Calipers, Fidanza lightweight flywheel, ACT HDSS Clutch......way too much to list..

Past 2014 Arial Atom
Past Lotus- 2005 Elise, BOE REV400TVS,Nikasil SB, Arias pistons,....et cetera-track monster

Last edited by qz5gxt; 10-09-2015 at 04:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 05:17 AM

You can pretty much take the entire car apart with a 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, and 15mm socket set plus a few metric allens and a torx. I always bring a hands free cell phone holder for Waze (awesome app by the way) especially since so many states have different laws concerning cell phone use now. I don't think the '07 had TPMS but I'm not sure. If it doesn't have it, bring a tire pressure gauge and all the normal road trip stuff - check torques, fluid levels, make sure the undertray panels are secure, etc.

For what it's worth, I'm driving 1,000 miles this weekend, so that is what I'm doing haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz5gxt View Post
Suggestions on what to have in Exige on a 2,400 mile trip
Have an adventure!

Bring a camera, take pictures.

you had an elige before, right? so you know the quirkiness.

will you have a navigator to help plan hotel stops and sight seeing spots along the way?

also, maybe carry a quart of oil or some coolant? the best tool is a smartphone and charger.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 05:28 AM

Take a tire repair (plug) kit, fix a flat, and/or maybe a small inflator running off the 12v plug. Make sure it has a long enough cord to get from the plug between the seats to each tire. Remember, you won't have a spare tire.

If not a member of AAA or something like it, good to join. Not that the car isn't reliable, I drove my 07 Exige S on several 1000+ mile trips with no issues. It's just good to have a tow in case a tire is damaged beyond something that can be repaired roadside.

Too late for your trip, but a Lotus Ltd membership is good to have. It includes a comprehensive list of members across the country that can provide support ranging from repairs to putting you up overnight if there are problems.

If it's got a louder-than-stock exhaust, maybe ear plugs.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 06:10 AM

Second on the air compressor. I forgot to mention that I'll also have one of those for mine. I've also got some oil and coolant that I've been debating on taking for my trip, too

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:19 AM

I have both AAA and Hagerty so there is little point in carrying stuff like coolant, oil or small tools. That stuff can be bought if it comes to that.

Stuff that you can't find fast on the road, like a spare serpentine belt, is another matter.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White.
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
http://www.mnautox.com
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:38 AM

A good pair of driving shoes, shorts for the hot states you'll have to traverse through, and some Advil.
I did about 1000 miles in 1.5 days a few years back; take the scenic routes since you're not in a hurry.

BTW, HWY 1 is fun mostly North of San Simeon.

Have fun!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:39 AM

My car also came with the ASX tires and they were terrible in all conditions. If it's wet, be careful because the rear will get playful with just a little bit of throttle.

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:52 AM

It has already been mentioned but I will second the ear plugs. I use Hearos musicians ear plugs in my Elise. They don't cut down the decibel level as much as standard foam plugs but they also cut down an even amount across the tonal range.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna's Dad View Post
A good pair of driving shoes, shorts for the hot states you'll have to traverse through, and some Advil.
I did about 1000 miles in 1.5 days a few years back; take the scenic routes since you're not in a hurry.

BTW, HWY 1 is fun mostly North of San Simeon.

Have fun!
Yup. Drove from SLO to Pacific Grove in our TR4 in 2009. Love to get back there in the Lotus.

IMG_2308 TR44SUE at the Big Creek bridge overlook by philethier, on Flickr

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White.
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
http://www.mnautox.com
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:58 AM
craigyirush

Isn't there a problem with the cigarette lighter/charging socket between the seats needing an adapter b/c its Euro size? I couldn't charge my phone on my last long trip which was a pain b/c I was using navigation and it really draws the battery down.

Have fun on the trip! Have you picked out any cool roads apart from CA 1? If you want to head east from Monterey, the Carmel Valley road is fun, though very narrow at times. Also heard good things about CA 198 from the 101 to I5.

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Yup. Drove from SLO to Pacific Grove in our TR4 in 2009. Love to get back there in the Lotus.
Agree, the view around Big Sur is incredible, as long as you can avoid being in a procession of cars going 30 MPH astern a land yacht.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyirush View Post
Isn't there a problem with the cigarette lighter/charging socket between the seats needing an adapter b/c its Euro size? I couldn't charge my phone on my last long trip which was a pain b/c I was using navigation and it really draws the battery down.

Have fun on the trip! Have you picked out any cool roads apart from CA 1? If you want to head east from Monterey, the Carmel Valley road is fun, though very narrow at times. Also heard good things about CA 198 from the 101 to I5.
Thanks all for great suggestions, can anyone confirm if the cigarette lighter/changer is a standard USA? I had a very modified 2005 Elise but never used the power socket. I will need this to power iPhone.

I plan to buy a air pump charger and can of fix a flat in Calfornia as I will just carry on for flight.

Current 2007 Exige S TOURING PACK, TRACK PACK, LSD, Aspen White, BOE Torque300, Tank,2bular muffler, Larini header/Decat, RLS Intercooler, Intercooler Vent Ducts/tubes PENSKE SINGLE-ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS, CUPdiscs-Front ULTRAdisc rear, Lotus AP 4 Pot Calipers, Fidanza lightweight flywheel, ACT HDSS Clutch......way too much to list..

Past 2014 Arial Atom
Past Lotus- 2005 Elise, BOE REV400TVS,Nikasil SB, Arias pistons,....et cetera-track monster
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 08:35 AM

Bring a camera and enjoy your drive! These cars and reliable for the most part and can make that journey easily. Your back may hurt after a while though :P
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TachItUp View Post
My car also came with the ASX tires and they were terrible in all conditions. If it's wet, be careful because the rear will get playful with just a little bit of throttle.
Little nervous on this now. If I had some new RE71Rs put on in California would it be be better or same/worse?

Past 2014 Arial Atom
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz5gxt View Post
Little nervous on this now. If I had some new RE71Rs put on in California would it be be better or same/worse?
My main gripe with them was wet weather performance, in the dry of course they didn't have very high limits, but were communicative enough.

It really depends on how you plan to drive the car on the way home. If you're just going to take it easy and enjoy the sights, they will be perfectly fine. If you plan to play a little bit on the way back, you may want to consider putting some summer tires on there. The car is still very controllable in the wet, but just keep in mind that it will break loose much sooner than you would expect.

I drove 500 miles on them in (dry) sub-freezing weather and they were happy eating up the miles.

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 08:58 AM
Such moderate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4380r View Post
Take a tire repair (plug) kit, fix a flat, and/or maybe a small inflator running off the 12v plug. Make sure it has a long enough cord to get from the plug between the seats to each tire. Remember, you won't have a spare tire.
^ This. Good for long trips seeing how there is no spare. Don't want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere. I have free towing with my insurance so it's not TOO much of a big deal, but it's good to have. AAA or something similar is a good idea.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 10:52 AM

I second the tire pump and fix a flat.

The jack for the tire pump is a standard USA style jack located between the two seats.

Narrow running shoes are a big help. The pedals are quite close together. I found it difficult to drive with the normal running shoes I had when I bought my car. I have a pair of narrow Puma shoes and they are perfect.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 11:38 AM

Good Flashlight and a IPod with aux plug in for music if desired.

2008 Exige S 240
2010 Toyota FJ TRD
2015 BMW M235 Convertible
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
1978 Toyota FJ40

2008 Beneteau Oceanis 40 Sailboat
1973 Colombia 26 MK11 sailboat
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 11:53 AM
He's on fire!

if not changed, the 12v adapter is not USA standard. Things still fit in there but very loosely. Unless recently changed, consider getting a new battery for a trip like that. Bought mine in Las Cruces and drove back home, thankfully battery died before we got into the mountains rather than out in the middle of nowhere.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in