Texas to California via New Mexico and Arizona - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Seraph
  • 1 Post By yellow99s
  • 1 Post By philethier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Question Texas to California via New Mexico and Arizona

Looking for suggestions on best routes to take between Texas and California...and list of places where I can find a decent mechanic in case of car trouble :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 10:18 AM
Overcooker

I've made the drive from south Texas to LA and back a few times. It's a boring drive. 12 hours just to get out of Texas. Same rolling view the whole way. You'll be in New Mexico for 2 hours and Arizona for a little longer than that if you follow I-10. Then 5 hours in CA to get to LA.

Best view I had was Arizona at sunset/dusk headed west. Absolutely breathtaking. Google Arizona Highways and click Images to see what I mean.

If you plan to make diversions to see sites there may be some things of interest. I've done the run a few times in a straight shot of 22 hours on the road.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 06:26 PM
S4s

Garage
Sort of depends on where in Texas you are travelling from. I agree with @Moop that I-10 is pretty blah, as well as I-20. I typically drove it at night to avoid the monotony of west Texas. I-40 is really nice in comparison. You'll see cactus deserts, painted deserts, and mountain pines on the journey through AZ on I-40.

Jim S.
1995 Esprit S4s

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 06:38 PM

LA to DFW back in 2007. Boring!!! Except for the massive grass fire we got stuck in in New Mexico. Was like driving through hell for a bit.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Starting in Austin so yes, I-10 is the closest interstate. I'm guessing using US-190 or US-87 isn't much better since it runs along the same topography as I-10?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 08:46 AM
Overcooker

Trailer the car and fly.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 11:43 AM
S4s

Garage
@EliseExiger
I lived in Central Texas and visited family in Phoenix almost every year for 12 years. I would try to get on I-10 as quickly as possible. HWY 190 has a lot of deer to watch for and you have to slow down for every little town along the way (nice though if you like checking out small towns, but the reduced speed limits get aggravating after a while). However Brady is kind of a nice little town. I think they have a small waterfall on the east side of town if I remember correctly. Things stay pretty boring until you hit Iraan where there are some very small mountains and some elevation changes.

I'd probably go on HWY 290. If the timing is right, then you can catch a great photo opportunity in Johnson City at the flower farms there. Either Johnson City or Fredricksburg allows for open alcohol on the public sidewalks (not in your car though).

If you stay at a motel along I-10, note that there is a railroad track right next to it and trains like to blast their horns from midnight to 2am. The Dragoon Mountains in AZ is another interesting area with its huge boulders (another photo op). If you go I-8, Yuma has sand dunes and is where part of Tatooine was filmed. I-10 has Blythe where you should get a Slurpee and some extra water before going across the Mohave.

If you have time, the I-40/Route 66 is a lot more scenic in my opinion.
EliseExiger likes this.

Jim S.
1995 Esprit S4s
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Thanks for the Helpful Advice Everyone!

So it looks like I'll be driving my Elise from Austin to Phoenix over Memorial Day Weekend and looking for somewhere to park it in Phoenix for a few weeks...any kind LT'ers in Phoenix available to babysit an Elise until I can fly back to pick her up?

Will probably stop in El Paso and Tucson on the way to Phoenix and would love to grab a coffee/drink/meal with any LT'ers in those cities.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:30 PM
Relapsing Honda fan

Cool

I'm on the far west side, Goodyear Arizona. Always up for a get together. Oddly, there's another Elise 1.5 miles from me, could make it 3 of a kind.
EliseExiger likes this.

Just moved to Phoenix, anyone else here?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

I'm passing through Phoenix this coming weekend and might need to ask a quick favor from you. I'll PM you with my contact info :-)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 06:47 PM

Got the time? Phoenix, Sedona, Flagstaff, North to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, Swing back down to Williams, then West to Cal, either trough Las Vegas or the southern way.
EliseExiger likes this.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White.
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
http://www.mnautox.com
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 08:55 PM

When you're heading out of Phoenix to SoCal there aren't a lot of interesting options from which to choose. I've driven something similar to the above listed route, but a bit different. Phoenix to Escondido, 670 miles / 12Hrs

And if you are in more of a hurry, another option; Phoenix to Escondido, 350 miles / 6Hrs:

Both of these routes provide some interesting roads, at least once you get across a pretty big stretch of desert.

Ron Schramm

'62 Seven S2
'77 S1 Esprit
'84 Turbo Esprit
'14 Evora
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in