Toyo R888 for roadtrip?? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
mpc

Toyo R888 for roadtrip??

Hi guys,

I just changed tires to Toyo R888, love them for the mountain roads, but didn't think of the consequences. I'm going on a road trip in may, around 2500 miles. Will they last or should I buy some extra wheels with more threaded tires?
The trip will be from Huelva Spain to ostend Belguim. visting several cols in the alps, nurburgring and Spa Francorchamps. Any ideas?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpc View Post
Hi guys,

I just changed tires to Toyo R888, love them for the mountain roads, but didn't think of the consequences. I'm going on a road trip in may, around 2500 miles. Will they last or should I buy some extra wheels with more threaded tires?
The trip will be from Huelva Spain to ostend Belguim. visting several cols in the alps, nurburgring and Spa Francorchamps. Any ideas?

Cheers
Yes, they will last, they do suck in the snow however...

VFII, Eliseparts Sequential, Geartronics Paddle shift.
You name it, I've probably got that installed too...
1864lbs, full tank
Otherwise, it's bone stock....
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:52 AM
ksm

Assuming 2,500 miles is total (vs. 2,500 for half of a round trip), I concur with Apex that you should be good.

'05. Eyes up.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 AM

2nd that. It's not the problem of the R888s not lasting, but you might have to short shift in the Alps, at Spa & the Ring. It's still deep winter in those places this time a year and the tires are not designed for extended cold weather exposure. I would predict that the Toyos would actually slow you down on some stretches of your planned route. If you prefer slightly more spirited driving in the mountains, you might want to mount some tamer rubber. I do envy you for the tour, though! Enjoy, but keep all wheels off the shoulder ...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 09:52 AM

I've done a handful of road trips with R888's and they're fine, even in cold weather [just not snow]. 2,500 miles is a long road trip for the Elise!

'07 Exige S270 :: Aspen White ::

"This is like O. Henry and Alanis Morissette had a baby and named it "this exact situation"."
Sterling Mallory Archer
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 11:11 AM
German Reimport

You will be fine, and there probably won't be an issue with snow in May except for maybe some of the mountain passes in the Alps.
This is central Europe and not Siberia or Alaska

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 04:15 AM

ya may you should be just fine...but hey im all about buying wheels and tires...with a bit of resourcefullness and willingness to go non lotus,"EEEK" LOL, you can get a complete setup for under 1000$ easy... put a set of All seasons on them for winter driving when you are back home? food for thought

just a thought...why burn up even 25% of your great toyos for a roadtrip? its like taking an AR-15 to an armwrestling match. excessive and wasteful...

2006 Autumn Gold SOLD
2005 Bourdeaux elise SOLD
2005 Storm Titanium Totaled by a doge 1 ton
1994 ferrari 348 spider nero/nero SOLD...2008 toyota yaris hatch SOLD...71 volkswagen type 2 with 79 hydraulic type IV 2.0/dual 40 idf webers! SOLD 72 europa tcBV sold, 2008 cayman SOLD, MV Agusta brutale S SOLD

oh yeah...I apologize in advance to the weak...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 05:48 AM

I would be more worried about your back
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 07:48 AM

Should be fine. I did a road trip from Ohio to the tail of the dragon, drove there for a week and zoomed home. Nothing like having sticky tires on great stretches of roads. I agree with the back comment. I was sore for days
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:29 AM

Toyo R888 for roadtrip??

Careful in the rain

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

slwkart
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Such moderate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashxdr View Post
I agree with the back comment. I was sore for days
I bought a memory foam travel pillow at walmart similar to this:

Carex Lumbar Support Cushion - Walmart.com

I used it for longer drives and it seems to work well. It fits perfectly in the small seats.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 12:19 PM
German Reimport

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyskt View Post
put a set of All seasons on them for winter driving when you are back home? food for thought
Have you looked at the OP's location? I'm sure he's not too concerned about having to drive in winter conditions back home...

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
Have you looked at the OP's location? I'm sure he's not too concerned about having to drive in winter conditions back home...
LOL okay i didnt look at that...i assumed he was in euro somewhere...why pay to transport your car for a vacation? id just rent something but thats just me i guess.

and im sure not everyone has there profile up to date? i don't know the guy...maybe he is from the canary islands but lives in germany or maybe he is deployed somewhere? i aint no dawg gone fortune teller or a private detective, i just gave an opinion...LOL

2006 Autumn Gold SOLD
2005 Bourdeaux elise SOLD
2005 Storm Titanium Totaled by a doge 1 ton
1994 ferrari 348 spider nero/nero SOLD...2008 toyota yaris hatch SOLD...71 volkswagen type 2 with 79 hydraulic type IV 2.0/dual 40 idf webers! SOLD 72 europa tcBV sold, 2008 cayman SOLD, MV Agusta brutale S SOLD

oh yeah...I apologize in advance to the weak...
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
mpc

Thanks for your replies. And true; I wont need winter tires over here, and for renting a car to do this, it's not the same. The goal of this trip is to find some good and desolated roads, do a few laps on some circuits. Get the car checked over in Lotus Verhiest in Ostend( as over here there are no Lotusdealers) and then ship the car back home.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 PM
German Reimport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpc View Post
Thanks for your replies. And true; I wont need winter tires over here, and for renting a car to do this, it's not the same. The goal of this trip is to find some good and desolated roads, do a few laps on some circuits. Get the car checked over in Lotus Verhiest in Ostend( as over here there are no Lotusdealers) and then ship the car back home.
That sounds like a fun adventure.
Enjoy the trip!

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 11:32 AM

I would assume I have done at least 1,000 miles on my R888's and have done three track days, each with an additional 150 miles and they have tons of tread left. If you are going to the nurburgring(on my bucket list) then drive it will R888's!

2005 Lotus Elise - Laser Blue - SOLD
2005 Lamborghini Gallardo - Weekend Car
2010 Ferrari California
2016 BMW X5M - Wifemobile
2014 Ram 1500 Limited - Tow Vehicle
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 10:46 PM

So how did the trip go? I have done a partial trip in a Audi estate of what you had planned. Do do your trip in my Dragon has been a dream of mine

What tires did you end up using but more importain how were the views and the tracks. Epic journey in my mind

Darrin
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 07:32 PM

FWIW, I just came back from another trip to the Dragon in the Smoky Mountains. Total miles were about 1500 miles in 5 days all on R888's. Through the Dragon and surrounding roads, the tires are at home and perform excellent. The drive back home on Sunday was primarily through the tropical storm remnant that proved that my wiper still works continuously for many hours. Given the deluge I was in, the tires channeled water impressively.

'07 Exige S270 :: Aspen White ::

"This is like O. Henry and Alanis Morissette had a baby and named it "this exact situation"."
Sterling Mallory Archer
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 03:57 AM

+10
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 01:22 PM

+11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in