In transit to my next adventure. - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 11:03 PM

Garage
15 of the 19 highjackers were from Saudi Arabia but you would think they were from Iraq based on Fox News, Bush, and people who are doing their thing. That's weird. Enjoy you're car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by <@¿@> View Post
OK!
My container got released from the port and got the high sign for a certified trucking company to move it. I just got to wait for the bank transfer to come through to my broker so she would tell me where to go get my container from...

Looks like Monday morning...I'll be off to Baltimore.
Nice meeting you a few weeks ago. So far, so good, on getting reunited with your car. I am finally going to try and make it back to C&C this weekend......

07 S4 Avant
13 M5
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Wow! Cool! I might just do that... I also know that David Zeckhausen is someplace in Northern NJ...of Zeckhausen Racing. Do you know of David? I've bought StopTech brakes from him for several cars...
I don't know David. But you still welcome to visit my track

Congrats on getting your car here in one piece.

65 Elan S2 - Restored & For Sale
72 Europa- Restoration under way
69 Elan S4 - Restored & Sold
64 Elan S1 - Restored & Not for sale
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart - Sold
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car - Sold
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car - Wrecked at track
06 Elise - Track pack - Sold

post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Not clear yet whether it is in one piece or damaged yet... But it is on U.S. soil and available for pick up...as far as the U.S. government is concerned. I'm just waiting for the trusting people (My check is in the mail!) in New York (my broker) to tell me where the container with my car is. I guess it takes a day or two for a wire transfer to go through.

Give me your contact information...I'll see how I feel and how picking up my stuff will go. If there is any kind of damage to any of my stuff in the container, it will bum me out and probably won't feel like driving any more that I need to. But, I'll see how it goes. It is a 500 mile trip in one direction...a brake would probably be very welcome. I just drove 950 from Texas to Ohio in one day to confiscate my sister's truck and trailer. I got a bade case of TB (Tired Butt).
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

I made it back...Picked it up in Baltimore...

post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 09:50 PM

very cool. can't wait to hear how it does with DMV.
post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Me too...one step at a time...
Thanks though...
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 06:27 AM

you are going to road register it?! ...dude, whatever you do - don't get in an accident! the lawyers and feds with e'f you up!

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Why? You can drive a home-made car (kit car)...you can drive a '70s built car...none have the "standards" required by DOT today. So what! I don't have the required theft protection. So what! I don't have the mandatory explosive devices (air bags) in my car. Let's see...what other stupid @$$ requirements are there?
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 07:30 AM

Not to rain on your parade, but I will be very surprised if you can legally road register it in the USA. It is a complete un DOTed car being brought it. That is definitely illegal in the eyes of the Feds.

Kit cars are different as they come in the country as car parts. Then made into a car. And it is getting more and more difficult to do that every day.

I was prepared to buy an Elise back in 2001 and bring it in. Had the deal all set, motor even pulled on the car in the UK.

But I could not get an insurance company to sign off that it was in reality an illegal car. I decided that I had two choices. Number one was to "stretch the truth" and say it was a kit car to the insurance company. Number 2 was to call it a 1971 Elan. Either way in the event of an accident, the insurance company has on "out" to not cover the liability. Now by that time I had accumulated substantial assets, house, property, stocks, a business. I was not prepared to put that all at risk just to drive a car. Now if it was like it was for me in the late 70's when I lived in Kentucky that did not require any auto insurance on a car to get it registered, I had nothing to lose. Was broke, no assets. I drove around with no insurance. Who cared?, Could not get anything from me as I had nothing.

This was fairly well documented in the late 90's or early 2000's when some diplomat or friend of a diplomat in Florida brought a bunch of Elises in. Sold them. One of them got involved in a street racing accident and killed someone. The crap hit the fan and I understand all of those cars were seized and crushed.

I sincerely hope you can do it legally, but I just do not see how if you tell the true facts on the car.

Tony Vaccaro
2005 Elise Ardent Red, www.lotusowners.com LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York) and the Church of the HolyLotus, Drive Fast Take Chances, 93 Caterham 7, 71 Elan, 70 Elan GTS, 1991 M100, 1999 Sport 190 Elise, 1974 Europa TC, 1973 Europa JPS #15 TwinCam.
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Why? You can drive a home-made car (kit car)...you can drive a '70s built car...none have the "standards" required by DOT today. So what! I don't have the required theft protection. So what! I don't have the mandatory explosive devices (air bags) in my car. Let's see...what other stupid @$$ requirements are there?
you DO NOT have a federal VIN. it is not a kit car or home built.

of course - do as you want. but it is federally illegal to put it on the street - even if the state DMV gives you a registration and tags. you just need to understand, if there is an accident... the insurance company can claim fraud and walk away - leaving you to fight the other party - which can claim you injured them by driving an illegal car on the road and you will lose everything they want from you in court. what are the chances?! maybe slim... but i personally wouldn't risk all my assets like that. also - if you fraudulently register it (state lets you) then the feds CAN seize it. because up until now (importing) you are legal and good to go - why risk losing the car? you are good to go man - you got the car in the US, it is not legal to drive it on the street or register it in the US so why risk it? you got a good thing there - just roll with it the way it was meant to be. JMO. enjoy.

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 09:30 AM

re: Importing cars

From a purely practical and moral stand-point, You are 100% correct, in this case. However, You do not need to convince us, just the Feds and the Insurance company.

Read the posts, below. They are 100% correct.

Beofre, 2005 some people imported some Elises as 'kit cars' i.e. no drive-train. They put Honda drive trains in them. This is how the whole 'swap' business started. See SunSpeed.com. People managed to register them with the state DMV. I belive the Feds even went after the importers with a vengence...

We cannot even impoert a US Elige into Canada and it is the SAME car! Those guys have no sense of reason.... or humor.

Be caraful! Figure out the risk/reward, etc., etc.

Besides, after a certain point of tracking the car, it just does not work for the street, anymore! or it is too slow on thrack!

Anton

Quote:
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
BANNED

Look...I'm just giving logical arguments to an informed audience...at least I hope I am.

Second...I'm not misrepresenting anything! I've said that before, I'll say it again.

Third...there are so many laws on the books now that it is impossible for any one person to know them all. All I am doing, is reading the laws. Are you guys? If you are not, Why are you making uninformed statements/allegations. They throw rules and laws at me, I just throw them right back at them...they get lost! No one does that to the government. If you are not willing to read and understand the laws, then you deserve what everybody says is the the law...the party line.

I'll let you know how it goes...feeding the law book to the people regurgitating laws to me...and then asking them how it tastes...
post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 12:15 PM
JWA

Your arguments about the logic of these restrictions when compared to other things that are allowed make WAY too much sense for the government. No one here disagrees with you on that, and we all hope that you can get it registered fully legally. We just haven't seen anyone else be able to do it without misrepresenting things to the state DMV, leaving the insurance and Federal issues noted above.

Best case you find an argument that works where no one else has succeeded. Worst case you have a killer track car and it spends a bit more time on that trailer. Good luck!
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 01:59 PM

Does anyone know what Lotus had to do in order to federalize our cars? Side impact door beams, safety glass(purchase from dealership), 5mph bumpers(exempt?), emissions. It could be possible to federalize the car for a somewhat decent price.

How far off base am I here?
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

There was someone on this site that tried...even wrote a letter to Lotus for a list of parts. As far a I remember, Lotus replied that the list is too extensive and not worth doing...
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
Does anyone know what Lotus had to do in order to federalize our cars? Side impact door beams, safety glass(purchase from dealership), 5mph bumpers(exempt?), emissions. It could be possible to federalize the car for a somewhat decent price.

How far off base am I here?
thats is irrelevant, unless you intend to put the car through the testing requirements. which anecdotally would cost "millions" and included crashing a car or two....

the point is that if you put "all the parts on the car" it still does not make that VIN compliant. the process to make the VIN compliant is pretty well documented....

so no, you can not federalize "a" car as an individual, at least not in anything close to sanity. and thats why Lotus has not federalized their cars - they could... put all the parts on, crash a few cars, spend a few million and the v6 exile would be federalized. but they would have to sell a dozen cars a year at 1/4 million to make it worth their while and they know that won't happen.... so they (along with all the other non federally VIN's cars in the world) don't bother.

there are no mysteries or grey areas here - there is not booming business of getting in "grey market" cars into the US anymore, and it is not because everyone and their mother have not already tried....

i am one of those people that were talking to Sun when the shizza hit the fan... worked it for years until Lotus announced they would federalized the elise. just sharing my knowledge and experience here. if it were that doable, id have a sagaris and 340r in the garage right now

post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitfan View Post
thats is irrelevant, unless you intend to put the car through the testing requirements. which anecdotally would cost "millions" and included crashing a car or two....
Not true...since the car has been crash tested once before, it does not have to be re-done if exactly like tested. Since Lotus builds U.S. spec cars, all you would have to do is replace the unique parts for U.S. - that is why the original question was thrown out...Lotus says it's not worth it!
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 05:26 PM

One option would be to do it the old fashioned hot rodder way; remove the VIN from a junkyard car and put it on your ride. Surely there are enough totaled Elise's out there to make it seem plausible even to your insurance agents' eyes.

'07 Exige S270 :: Aspen White ::

"This is like O. Henry and Alanis Morissette had a baby and named it "this exact situation"."
Sterling Mallory Archer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in