The Ultimate Road Trip - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 192 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 02:44 AM

Cool.

Does that footrest replace the passenger or can a passenger still sqeeze in?

I'm also curious how the S1 boot compares in size to that of the S2?

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 192 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 10:33 AM

I saw this jeep at the welcome center in PA. Somehow it reminded me of your trip and how you are trying to squeeze as much as possible into your car.
Attached Images

2009 Saffron Elise
post #43 of 192 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Rofl - Its not that big !!! For anyone under 5 ft 8 ins tall (including my wife), I have always used a second footrest because sitting with legs straight out is uncomfortable after a while. This box is only about the same, and makes the whole thing much more compfortable for any one of that kind of height.
I could do with that wooden spare wheel !! Golf clubs I am leaving behind !!

post #44 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 04:13 PM

The Cassiar is definately more scenic than the Alaska Highway. Doesn't look like I'll be in Alaska when you visit, but I hope you have a fun and safe trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waelsie View Post
My sister lives in Anacortes WA. I was there in June and went over to Uclulet on Vancouver Island, and really enjoyed it. So changing the first part of my route from Anacortes north, and instead of driving up through Williams Lake, now intend to catch the ferry across to Victoria VI, then drive up through the island to Port Hardy. Then catch the ferry up to Prince Rupert, then head north up the Cassiar Highway. Just think it might be more scenic, plus gives me the opportunity to see a bit of the inside passage.

Long summer days, and beautiful country
post #45 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Now got my US visa valid for 12 months, and today got my Int Drivers Licence just on case some Cop somewhere can't read Australian !!! Also found out today that we no longer need a Carnet for Canada, which is great as that saves me a bunch of money.
Talking of money, it looks like I now won't go up through Vancouver Island and then catch the ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert, because the ferry etc is going to cost some $500 or so, whereas if I drive up I can wander through Squamish and Whistler and then on up to Prince George and then up the Cassiar Hiway for just a couple of tanks of gas. So might save that money for a side trip later on.
Car almost done, Just a few final bits and pieces, and the artwork is all being done currently for the car so apart from it being an S1 with the steering wheel on the wrong side, it looks like it is going to stand out even more !!! Rofl.
post #46 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craig View Post
Cool.

I'm also curious how the S1 boot compares in size to that of the S2?
No difference really. Probably more room in the S1 because our battery is down the front.

My boot box that clips on the rack is now completed, and that makes my storage space a whole lot more now !! Might even have room for the golf clubs !!!!
Attached Images

post #47 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 07:42 AM

Waelise.

I am in Denver, 30 min north of Colorado Springs.
I would love to buy you lunch, or if the schedule allows do a drive with you, when you're near.

Let me know if there is anything I can help with while your in Colorado.

Doug

Apexes are a lot like relationships. So tough to get right, so easy to see where they went wrong.

The secret to a long life is ------- not dying.
post #48 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 08:26 AM

Also if you are in town the first Saturday of the month, we have a cars and coffee that gets a great mix of cars.

Your S1 would be a great addition, and you may even get the long distance award for the month.

It starts about 8:00am, or mid evening WA time depending on your body clock.

Apexes are a lot like relationships. So tough to get right, so easy to see where they went wrong.

The secret to a long life is ------- not dying.
post #49 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Will pencil that first Sat of the month meeting in, and hope to be there. Sounds perfect. I guess it is going to depend on the weather in March / April ! Also love to have lunch - Would like to spend a few days exploring the area - Weather permitting !!
Giles
post #50 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

OK, going to stop taking up your space on here. If any of you are interested to follow my journey, I have started a blog at Australia to Alaska Please note I am an old man, and not very good at this technology stuff, so please be patient as I learn how to use the blog, and make entries into it and organise the layout. I am not really thinking about it for a couple more weeks until car is finished and shipped, then I can think of other things like blogs. So patience please.
Giles
post #51 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 02:52 AM

Too bad you don't want to continue writing on Lotus Talk. I've been enjoying reading your posts.

Anyways when you are up in Toronto, Canada I'd like to meet.

2009 Saffron Elise
post #52 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Nein Kinder

Giles - I'm in Anchorage - lived in Alaska for over 40 years. PM me if I can help with anything up here. I notice you've mentioned The Cassiar and Dalton Highways a couple of times. I posted a little bit about the Cassiar here:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/l...2/#post1649890

I've driven part of the Dalton Highway in June. I strongly recommend you don't drive the Dalton in your Lotus. I think you'd be very likely to experience an expensive and disappointing end to your trip on that road. I wouldn't even consider driving the Dalton except in a 4-wheel drive vehicle with appropriate tires, a winch or come-along, a tow strap, a complete toolbox, spare parts, TWO spare tires (I've used both before) and probably a plan for someone to come look for me if I don't show up at the right place/time. Your low-profile tires and low ground clearance are a certain recipe for mechanical failure. Just for reference, I recently paid $1,000 USD for a flat bed tow truck to move my Porsche 225 miles on our paved road system (two bent rims and destroyed tires from a pothole that took out 5 other cars in a one-hour stretch). I don't know what the tow rates would be out of Fairbanks, but they'll be higher.

The Dalton is no place to mess around. There's no cell phone service anywhere, and you've only got the Yukon River crossing and Coldfoot for services. If you MUST drive this road, you need to figure out an alternate vehicle to take for just this bit. REALLY. And I haven't even mentioned the mosquitoes and bears yet. The bugs are horrific in the summer. I'm used to mosquitoes, but they were almost unbearable near the Yukon River. If you'll be camping, it'll be in bear country. Retreating to your Lotus (that's where all your smelly food will be) probably won't help very much.

I know my cautions probably sound dramatic, and maybe you're used to being on your own in places like Western Australia, but your Lotus and your plans are likely to meet an unhappy end on the Dalton. Here's one source for more info on the Dalton: BLM Alaska: Dalton Highway

Just so you don't think I'm an alarmist, I've driven tens of thousands of miles on gravel roads, lots of it at 60 - 70 MPH, so I'm no stranger to unimproved surfaces. I see you're also planning Pike's Peak. Definitely do that! I've driven up there in my VW Bug and there were many other passengers cars on the road (summer of course). We stopped at about 10,000 feet MSL to lean out the carburetor and then proceeded to pass everyone else on the way up (they were belching smoke from being too rich). Just remember to enrich the mixture again on the way down!

Looking forward to your blog.

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #53 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Nein Kinder

I just read your blog and see that one of your primary goals is to cross the Arctic Circle in your Lotus. That makes my previous post less relevant - maybe more useful advice is to go accompanied by a support vehicle that can make sure you get there and back. When do you plan to leave Fairbanks?

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #54 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 02:20 PM

Just found this thread!

I've always wanted to do something like this so I think it's just great that you have the chance to explore the US and Alaska!!

A few years back I met an Aussie who finished college and decided to travel the US. I enjoyed driving him in my Elise and showing him my home town. You're story made me think about how much fun we had. I haven't seen him since he departed back home but we still communicate now and then.

Now about your trip...you mentioned maybe coming to the Great Lakes/Northeast. I live in Pittsburgh, PA. We have some good driving roads around here and interesting sights to see. My father and I each have a 2005 Lotus Elise. He is also a Moody Blues fan too! I checked concert dates and it appears they are touring from March to May only. They are coming to Pittsburgh, PA April 2nd. We also have a cars and coffee on Saturdays. I know of maybe a dozen Lotus owners that would love to meet you as well!

I find your trip very inspiring and I enjoy meeting Aussie folks! Maybe you could fit Pittsburgh, PA into your trip. Let me know. And, if it doesn't work best of luck too you I'll be following your blog! Cheers

05 Elise - Magnetic Blue
05 Elise - Magnetic Blue
06 Elise - Aubergine Purple
post #55 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craig View Post
Too bad you don't want to continue writing on Lotus Talk. I've been enjoying reading your posts.

Anyways when you are up in Toronto, Canada I'd like to meet.
David, Certainly notthing to do with me "not wanting" to continue writing on here ! I am not going anywhere. Just didn't want to bore too many people, and thought those that wanted to keep following my trip would be more interested to read on a separate blog.
Love to meet up if I get to Toronto in Part 3 !!!
Giles
post #56 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Glen, it is great to know you and a couple of others are up there. I will really appreciate your input, and probably help and advice when I get there.
Let me assure you I am not coming up to Alaska thinking it will be a simple trip, or with the attitude that I know what it will be like. I am a 64 year old who has recently been given the all clear after a bout with cancer, and I am off on the adventure of my life. I have planned and prepared as much as I can for it for 18 months now, (even down to having rubber in my wheel arches like you did with your Porsche !!), but even so, at this stage, I am incredibly apprehensive about what I am taking on. So I am coming with my eyes open.
But I am also a fairly well seasoned traveller, having been in the oilfield all my life. In fact, my ex company (for 36 years) operates in Alaska (office in Fairbanks, work up North), and they use a lot of trucks on the haul road, so have been picking their brains !! And I was in the Middle East for 8 years in the early 70's when it was just sand and dirt roads, then in W Africa, then up in the deserts of Australia as well as the jungles of Papua New Guinea, and more recently all over SE Asia. And everywhere I have gone I have raced / rallied etc, except for Nigeria where it was all too difficult so we started a Radio Controlled car racing club instead !!!
But we do have a lot of similarities here, with bad roads (ours are from heat rather than cold !) that are always under going repairs with lengthy dirt detours, big trucks (ours have 3 trailers carrying 20 MT each, called Road Trains) and they too "own the road" especially out in the bush on the smaller dirt tracks, and we have poor cell coverage in the bush and long distances between fuel stops - across the Nullarbor, which I have done many times, there are 300 km sections, and sometimes the next one is shut too ! So all I can say is that I have made every preparation and taken every precaution I can (including AAA Premier coverage which they told me provided a towing service of up to 200 miles anywhere in the USA, including Alaska - Please tell me if they are wrong !!)
And the final ace up my sleeve is that I have no time limit on this trip, so I am not rushing. If I need to stop for a week due to weather conditions, or because I need to fix something, then I can do so. And having rebuilt my complete car, I reckon I can tackle any job on the car if I need to - Not that I want to, of course !!
Finally, I hear all your advice loud and clear. But have you read this story ? Maybe you even met them ? Article - Lynne Douglas - North to Alaska But my view is that if they can do it in an MGTC, then I can certainly have a very close look at it in Elsie !! In fact their story has got me enthusiastic - The trip to Alaska is a possible warm up to the next plan, and that is to drive down the Andes and reach another dream of mine, Tierra del Fuego !! I am doing Alaska first because you speak English up there (so I am told !!) so I figured it would be easier than doing S America first !!! And once again, if they can do it in an MG, then my pride in Lotus says I can do it in an Elise !!
And if at any stage it gets too difficult, or stupid, or whatever, not a problem - I will park the Elise and get in a 4 WD - I may be adventurous, but I am not a total lunatic !!!!
The plans continue........And I appreciate everything you can tell me.
post #57 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 09:38 AM

This is the ultimate road guide for the ALCAN. milepost.com/
post #58 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Yes, the MilePost is excellent - Been following that for a while as I made my plans !!
Thanks, Giles
post #59 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Car is now all stickered up as of today, and ready to take to the docks on 3rd Jan. I am SO ready to hit the road and get started. All pics and details in my blog
Giles
post #60 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 06:38 AM

One last thing. If you join Lotus Ltd Lotus Limited, ltd -- Lotus car Club, Club, Car Club, Elise, Europa, Esprit, Elan, Eclat, Elite, Lotus Ltd you will get their printed roster with a ZIP code cross reference to people who are willing to help you out if you are in a jam. With a trip like yours you could look up an area a day or two ahead of time and give someone a call and ask for local knowledge about restaurants, service...

The Lotus Ltd roster is one of the great benefits of the club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in