The Ultimate Road Trip - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 05:03 PM

If your still planning to go through Casper, Wyoming you might consider turning east and visit Mount Rushmore in South Dakota. Let me know if you do and I'll have a cold one ready for you.

Gavin
Esprit S1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britman View Post
If your still planning to go through Casper, Wyoming you might consider turning east and visit Mount Rushmore in South Dakota. Let me know if you do and I'll have a cold one ready for you.

Gavin
Esprit S1
Sounds good. How far is it ?
post #63 of 192 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanG View Post
One last thing. If you join Lotus Ltd Lotus Limited, ltd -- Lotus car Club, Club, Car Club, Elise, Europa, Esprit, Elan, Eclat, Elite, Lotus Ltd you will get their printed roster with a ZIP code cross reference to people who are willing to help you out if you are in a jam. With a trip like yours you could look up an area a day or two ahead of time and give someone a call and ask for local knowledge about restaurants, service...

The Lotus Ltd roster is one of the great benefits of the club.
Sounds an excellent idea. Thanks.
Giles

post #64 of 192 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Last photo as I leave my house, and then last view of my car until Feb 21st as she disappears into the docks !!

The trip begins !!!
Attached Images

post #65 of 192 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waelsie View Post
Sounds good. How far is it ?
Looks like about a 700 mile round trip ? I am sure your beer is excellent, but thats a fair way for go for one !! We will have to see how thirsty I am !!
post #66 of 192 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 02:38 PM

waelsie- please do keep us somewhat up to date on this thread. Don't think Laguna Seca has released dates, yet for this year. But am sure when your in folks neck of the woods, they would like to meet up, if the timing work out. On my end would like to join you at Laguna and would be happy to join you for drives, etc when your in the central part of CA.
post #67 of 192 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Everything being put on here Australia to Alaska in My Lotus Elise As far as dates are concerned, due to arrive LA on 21st, so will probably leave there 28th, and head up to SF. No firm dates at present as I do not want to be tied to deadlines !!
Which is just as well as got a call from shipping agent this afternoon and the ship my car was supposed to be on is for some reason saying it is not going to LA this trip !! Going to every other port, but not LA !!! This seems weaird because the big earner for these RORO ships is the Japan to LA sector, with all the Toyotas etc on there, so why it would not go to LA is a mystery. They think it is just a computer glitch, but if it isn't then my ship will not sail till the 15th, which would put it into LA on about 28th Feb. Not going to make plans too detailed until the boat has sailed and I know my car is on it !!
You are right, aguna Seco not yet released dates, but I am talking to them direct - All I want is a couple of quiet laps !!!
Giles
post #68 of 192 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Well, all delayed a week. Car still sitting in Brisbane Port and didn't sail today as the ship it was booked on has decided not to stop in Long Beach !!!!! Grrrrrr.
So now leaving next Sunday, on 15th Jan, and will presumably get to LA on 28th Feb. So should be on the road by 1st March or so. Will confirm my eta SF once I know the confirmed eta in LA !!!
post #69 of 192 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

OK, she is now booked on the Taiko, Voyage FF205, ETD Brisbane 15th Jan, ETA Long Beach 1st March. If you go here
Search by vessel name and enter the vessel name and voyage number, you can see where she is on the map at any time.
Will she be the first Elise to visit S Korea ? Any cyclones lurking out there ?
Will be driving on the wrong side of the road with you all in just 7 weeks from now - So if you see an S1 Elise coming at you on the wrong side, don't panic - Its just me having a senior moment !!
post #70 of 192 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 02:10 PM

Seattle to Alaska leg

From Seattle to Alaska, you should pass by Vancouver, B.C., Canada. Well worth visiting.

One route north from Vancouver is the Sea-to-Sky Highway from Vancouver to Whistler. This is a much better route than going thru the Fraser Canyon for heading north.
Sea to Sky Highway Reviews - Vancouver, British Columbia Attractions - TripAdvisor

Then from Whistler to Permberton-Duffy Lake-Cache Creek. The following webpage is dated, the road has been repaved. I drove it this past October.
Duffy Lake Loop

From Cache Creek, you can go to Kamploops and head north towards the Alaska Hwy.

Depending on when you get into Vancouver, there might be track days or autocross events locally. Usually there is almost an event every second weekend during spring and summer. I am the founder of a very active sports car club in Vancouver. If you want to attend any of our events, I will get the club to waive the entry fee. For more info on Vancouver events, post questions on their forum here, VCMC Motorsport Club Forums - Sponsored by PDM Racing - Latest

May 19-20 is the infamous Knox Mountain Hillclimb event in Kelowna, B.C.. If it fits your schedule, I highly recommend you drop by to check it out. It is the longest running paved hillclimb event in North America. An "OLD" video on the event,
More current videos on the event, knox mountain hill climb - YouTube Great roads leading in and out of the interior part of B.C. Quite a few drivers from my club will be there. The king of the hill who holds the all time fastest record just turned 71 years old this month, he is a good friend of mine and will be attending the event for the last time this year. KNOX MOUNTAIN HILLCLIMB

If you need a place to stay in Vancouver, My wife and I will be glad to host you. My daughter has moved to Ottawa and her room is available. I have a Caterham 7 and could accompany you for part of the route up north if our schedules work together. If you need more info for areas around Vancouver, just ask.

One more thing, when you leave Anacortes after visiting your relatives, you should take Chuckanut Drive from Anacortes to Bellingham on your way up to Canada.

Two of my sisters and their families have been living in Australia since the mid-'60s. Wife and I were there three Christmas ago visiting. Once I retired in a few more years, I would like to do a long driving trip there to explore the beautiful country of yours.

Joe

One more thing. You might find the following site helpful, it has pretty well most of the motorsport events in North America listed. Most clubs use it for registration. More and more events will get added as season begins in the northern part of the conuntry. http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/calendar

Last edited by Joe Cheng; 01-18-2012 at 05:02 PM.
post #71 of 192 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 03:26 PM

When in Antacortes, come over to the Olympic Peninsula, take a drive to Hurricane Ridge, maybe the Elwha and a couple other neat places.
You could take the ferry to Victoria, then up Vancouver Isl and over to near Vancouver.

I'm in Port Angeles, let me know when you are around, I could take my Elan along and show you the roads.
If you have any issues, make sire to let me know, I'm happy to. Help out!

Mark

[email protected]

2005 Elise, nightfall blue gone, unfortunately--2005 Ducati Multistrada, custom-- OSSA Explorer 2014

Last edited by lotus54; 01-19-2012 at 03:09 PM.
post #72 of 192 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the offor Joe - So many tempting decisions !! As far as the Sea to Sky hwy is concerned, it is a choice between that road through Whistler and up, and catching the ferry across to VI and going up through VI and then catching ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert. I know I won;t be disappointed either way !! I think the decision will be made for me in mid May by the weather - Is the Whistler road likey to be closed (to an Elise anyway !!) at that time ?
Not so concerned about track days during this trip - Have raced all my life so not an itch I need to scratch ! Car is very much in road trim, raised suspension, very non-agressive suspension settings, softer springs, road tyres etc, single 48 mm TB for improved gas mileage etc - If I compete, I like to compete hard, and my car would need to be returned to more competition spec for me to really enjoy it ! But attend as a spectator and meet the guys ? Would love to, so will let you know where I am nearer the time.
Kelowna HC sounds VERY interesting - That is my kind of event !! Would love to do that one !! Date sounds close to perfect - Oce again, will just have to wat and see how I (and the car !) am travelling by then !!
Thans very much for your input Joe - Hope I can get to meet you when I am in your area.
Giles
post #73 of 192 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Mark - Pencilling every one of you in my notebook, and I will contact everyone once I know what dates I will be where !!
I am getting more exciting as the days tick by before I leave - 40 more sleeps to go !!!
post #74 of 192 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Car has got to Melbourne today !! If you go here, type in vessel name (Taiko) and then the Voyage (205) you can see route of ship and where she is !! http://sagaweb.2wglobal.com/AppSched...eVesselList.do

She is getting to be an old hand at this - She has been to Singapore before when I shipped her out from UK in 2003 ! Wish she could earn frequent shipping miles !!!! Rofl
post #75 of 192 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waelsie View Post

...As far as the Sea to Sky hwy is concerned....Is the Whistler road likey to be closed (to an Elise anyway !!) at that time ?
It will be fine by May. Even motorcycles will be running on that road before then.

Joe
post #76 of 192 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Excellent - Best news I have had all month !!!
post #77 of 192 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Latest update has the car and I arrving in LA on 1st March, so starting to get kind of excited !
Now have a blog for my trip which you cn find here if you are interested Australia to Alaska in My Lotus Elise
Giles
post #78 of 192 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Look out - I'm here !!! Car arives LA on 5th March.
post #79 of 192 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 06:01 PM

Welcome to the States. What an exciting trip you have ahead of you. I'll be sure to follow your posts.

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #80 of 192 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Spent all day at Customs and BP in Long Beach today trying to do paperwork in advance before car arives on Monday, Good job I did as officer decided he wanted some different signatures than any one else, and between office lunch shut downs and keeping my hire car away from the Parking man with the yellow chalk stick (?!) I only just got it all done before they closed at 4 pm ! Then a delicious burger on the pier at Balboa Island near Newport Beach (to avoid rush hour) came back to Encino no problem. Anyway, all done now so just waiting for Monday now !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Roadtrip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in