Anyone have a C7 Stingray or z06? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Anyone have a C7 Stingray or z06?

Never thought I'd ever want a corvette... but that new z06 keeps growing on me. Best bang for the buck. 650/650.

We developed a diffuser for it too... if anyone has a Stingray / z06 and wants one, let me know.

Difflow Diffusers | Corvette C7 Stingray and Z06 Rear Diffuser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 08:04 PM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
I drove it at Las Vegas Exotics Racing and loved it.
qu1Z likes this.

Nick____________
2005 Elise - Chrome Orange (SOLD)
2004 Porsche 911 GT3
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 02:59 AM
because racecar

I rented one for a weekend and have been considering buying one ever since.

2005 Lotus Elise turbo k20a2 757whp 536wtq 31psi [email protected]
2005 Lotus Elise 2zz supercharged 'streetable' race car
2007 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder
2010 Ford F350
2004 Mazda RX8
2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I passed my license test in a 3cyl 70hp Geo Metro
I learned to drive a manual on a Lotus Elise

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 03:37 AM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
Here's my video. It hits the ESP all the time, then it overheated and went into limp mode after 4-5 laps. I loved the car, and it was very comfortable to sit in and drive. It WAS 110 degrees out that day so I don't fault the car too much. I have read elsewhere that the oil temp is a problem in these cars, maybe Chevy has improved/addressed it for 2016.

Nick____________
2004 Porsche 911 GT3
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 06:09 AM

I caught myself wanting to slow the video down just so I can understand the instructor!

Great vid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickshu View Post
Here's my video. It hits the ESP all the time, then it overheated and went into limp mode after 4-5 laps. I loved the car, and it was very comfortable to sit in and drive. It WAS 110 degrees out that day so I don't fault the car too much. I have read elsewhere that the oil temp is a problem in these cars, maybe Chevy has improved/addressed it for 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbn_7R7FXrA

Current Toys:
1968 Datsun 2000 Roadster

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 08:28 AM

The Z06 is amazing, But personally considering the new C7 Grand Sport soon to be in showroom. The Grand Sport is priced between C7 coupe Z51 and C7 Z06 and has all the Z06 wider body, larger wheels/tire, brakes and suspension upgrades, but not the SC engine. (Still non SC C7 engine has 460hp) The C7 Grand Sport is more better focused for track days then Z06 in my opinion.

2017 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport Photos and Info ? News ? Car and Driver

FYI, you don't have to get the blue seats like show car pictures in link above.......

Current 2007 Exige S TOURING PACK, TRACK PACK, LSD, Aspen White, BOE Torque300, Tank,2bular muffler, Larini header/Decat, RLS Intercooler, Intercooler Vent Ducts/tubes PENSKE SINGLE-ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS, CUPdiscs-Front ULTRAdisc rear, Lotus AP 4 Pot Calipers, Fidanza lightweight flywheel, ACT HDSS Clutch......way too much to list..

Past 2014 Arial Atom
Past Lotus- 2005 Elise, BOE REV400TVS,Nikasil SB, Arias pistons,....et cetera-track monster
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 08:50 AM

Garage
I got to drive friends Z06, best Vette made, wicked fast. rev match on downshifts works great. However, driving it, still feels like trying to ride the bull. The next week I drove his new GT3. Much better chassis, and driver feel, ergonomics, etc. The following week, I was able to drive his 458 Speciale. Hands down, better driving experience. Connected, driving position, sound, looks, transmission awesome. Simply amazing. I know price is a huge equation, that is why I stick to my S260. Biggest smile on my face, and best driving experience. (When driving the way the car was made to be drivin). You might drive faster around the track in the Vette, but the journey won't be as fun as the Exige. IMHO

Last edited by antflies; 05-06-2016 at 11:58 AM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 09:48 AM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz5gxt View Post
The Z06 is amazing, But personally considering the new C7 Grand Sport soon to be in showroom. The Grand Sport is priced between C7 coupe Z51 and C7 Z06 and has all the Z06 wider body, larger wheels/tire, brakes and suspension upgrades, but not the SC engine. (Still non SC C7 engine has 460hp) The C7 Grand Sport is more better focused for track days then Z06 in my opinion.

2017 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport Photos and Info ? News ? Car and Driver

FYI, you don't have to get the blue seats like show car pictures in link above.......
The GS sounds sweet. All the Good stuff from the Z06 without anything extra you don't need. Makes sense for a track day car. The SC engine has too much HP for a road course...if you listen in my video it hits the ESP all the time to keep it on the road. Hard to be smooth when the car is holding you back all the time.

Nick____________
2004 Porsche 911 GT3
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

I want a GS Now
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 08:45 PM

Im not a track junkie but I prefer naturally aspirated engines for the track.
Im surprised they dont use the LS7 for the GS.
I wish they would.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!

I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 09:10 PM
The Enforcer

The C7 Z06 has serious issues, as does the 8-speed automatic. Love the looks but until the issues are addressed count me out. Most professional reviewers prefer the C7 Stingray over the Z06. The last major shootout the C7 Z06 participated in it didn't even finish (the only car that didn't).

I have a job interview next week. If it goes well I'm actually considering the 2016 Viper ACR. It spanks the Z06, doesn't overheat and 2016 will be the final year. I do think the Z06 looks better, but I can't see spending a lot of money on a car that doesn't perform. Might consider the GTR.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 10:53 PM
glb

From my low hp point of view, seeing a Viper is more of an event than seeing a C7 or similar.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 10:59 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
From my low hp point of view, seeing a Viper is more of an event than seeing a C7 or similar.
Yeah, I see more Lotus in the wild than Vipers.

San

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

I agree, I'd still take the new ACR over the vette. Would hold its value better too I think.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qu1Z View Post
I agree, I'd still take the new ACR over the vette. Would hold its value better too I think.
If I was in the ACR price range ($120k) I would be looking at other cars. I don't think you can bet the NEW C7 Grand Sport with it normally aspirated engine (i.e. Better then Z06 for track) but has all the Z06 goodies like wide body, suspension and brakes and is half the price of a ACR cost. C7 GS IS $66k MSRP new price tag

2017 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport | car review @ Top Speed

Current 2007 Exige S TOURING PACK, TRACK PACK, LSD, Aspen White, BOE Torque300, Tank,2bular muffler, Larini header/Decat, RLS Intercooler, Intercooler Vent Ducts/tubes PENSKE SINGLE-ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS, CUPdiscs-Front ULTRAdisc rear, Lotus AP 4 Pot Calipers, Fidanza lightweight flywheel, ACT HDSS Clutch......way too much to list..

Past 2014 Arial Atom
Past Lotus- 2005 Elise, BOE REV400TVS,Nikasil SB, Arias pistons,....et cetera-track monster
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 02:10 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
If I was in the ACR price range ($120k) I would be looking at other cars. I don't think you can bet the NEW C7 Grand Sport with it normally aspirated engine (i.e. Better then Z06 for track) but has all the Z06 goodies like wide body, suspension and brakes and is half the price of a ACR cost. C7 GS IS $66k MSRP new price tag

That's a base Grand Sport. You don't get the carbon ceramic brakes and other goodies without the Z07 package.

To me the Grand Sport is a "poser". It looks almost like a Z06 without the power to back it up. By the time you add the Z07 package to a Grand Sport you could afford a Z06.

Again, the Z06 has overheating issues, as does the 8-speed. Until that's sorted out I'm sticking with the 7-speed Z51.

San

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 03:50 PM

Nothing for the c6?
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
The C7 Z06 has serious issues, as does the 8-speed automatic. Love the looks but until the issues are addressed count me out. Most professional reviewers prefer the C7 Stingray over the Z06. The last major shootout the C7 Z06 participated in it didn't even finish (the only car that didn't).

I have a job interview next week. If it goes well I'm actually considering the 2016 Viper ACR. It spanks the Z06, doesn't overheat and 2016 will be the final year. I do think the Z06 looks better, but I can't see spending a lot of money on a car that doesn't perform. Might consider the GTR.

San

I still think the Viper is a better looking car than the Z06. It has timeless lines, where the Vette will show its design age quickly.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
If I was in the ACR price range ($120k) I would be looking at other cars. I don't think you can beat the NEW C7 Grand Sport with it normally aspirated engine (i.e. Better then Z06 for track) but has all the Z06 goodies like wide body, suspension and brakes and is half the price of a ACR cost. C7 GS IS $66k MSRP new price tag.

I hear you Alan, but for non-employees the price will be more like $80K out the door and lightly optioned. Bigger issue for those who want to track one is has Corvette engineering fixed the overheating - water, engine oil, tranny oil - and maintained the warranty?

So far, from my observations at Sebring DEs, the very fast C7s get about three laps before limp mode strikes. Z51s can go a few more laps than Z06 but still have similar problems. Drive one so it doesn't overheat and you get passed by me in my Exige more than once in a 30 minute session. Wish they lived up to their billing as if they did I would seriously consider one.

Interestingly, the Z28s seem not to have any cooling problems -- different engineering groups/approach (bullet-proof vs pro driver, 85 degree ambient BS).

Bob L

2008 Solar Yellow Exige S240 (Torque 300)
1991 Elan M100
2015 Cayman GTS
2016 Ford Flex--Tow Vehicle
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 08:12 PM

Just get a Viper and dont look back.
They wont catch you.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!

I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in