Aston Vantage 2018 - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 07:39 PM
boxerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
Not to brag but...Mine's better!
Youre so right, and yours is a great color too. Whats it called?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 07:15 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerman View Post
Youre so right, and yours is a great color too. Whats it called?
It's just called slate blue. The interior is brown and tan (bitter chocolate and sandstone, the names for colors,)

I've never driven a non-power pack Vantage, but I have to disagree that it's not fast enough. Mine makes more than 400 hp with the factory power pack and a tune and it's way past adequate. I think the major dig on the stock engine was that Aston had a pretty lazy map for the throttle response and used a relatively heavy flywheel. This is the major improvement in the tune and there's flywheel/clutch options that help alot.

The real surprise is that the car really has fantastic handling, very sharp responses and 49/51 F/R weight distribution with the dry sump engine way back behind the front axle so it's very neutral. The steering feel is also great. We're Lotus people, right, so we know that there's alot more to a car than power.

I also need to disagree a bit on the interior. There is really nothing cheapish about it. Everything is either covered in leather and alcantara or is real metal (save for the upper console which was plastic in some models). Everything that looks like metal is, and everything that looks like leather is. Even the steering column is leather wrapped.

Three things I'd change, I'd drop 400 pounds, I'd make it a little more narrow for maneuverability (although those wide hips are fantastic looking) and I'd change the front sightlines to be able to see the front of the car. Aston didn't do any of these, instead the car is bigger and just as heavy.
Attached Images

Last edited by me73; 11-27-2017 at 07:21 AM.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 07:29 AM

Yes, but will the next 007 be driving this latest Aston?
Attached Images

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:15 AM
boxerman

Quote:
It's just called slate blue. The interior is brown and tan (bitter chocolate and sandstone, the names for colors,)

I've never driven a non-power pack Vantage, but I have to disagree that it's not fast enough. Mine makes more than 400 hp with the factory power pack and a tune and it's way past adequate. I think the major dig on the stock engine was that Aston had a pretty lazy map for the throttle response and used a relatively heavy flywheel. This is the major improvement in the tune and there's flywheel/clutch options that help alot.

The real surprise is that the car really has fantastic handling, very sharp responses and 49/51 F/R weight distribution with the dry sump engine way back behind the front axle so it's very neutral. The steering feel is also great. We're Lotus people, right, so we know that there's alot more to a car than power.

I also need to disagree a bit on the interior. There is really nothing cheapish about it. Everything is either covered in leather and alcantara or is real metal (save for the upper console which was plastic in some models). Everything that looks like metal is, and everything that looks like leather is. Even the steering column is leather wrapped.

Three things I'd change, I'd drop 400 pounds, I'd make it a little more narrow for maneuverability (although those wide hips are fantastic looking) and I'd change the front sightlines to be able to see the front of the car. Aston didn't do any of these, instead the car is bigger and just as heavy.
Great comments, I am was not familar with the powerpack. The changes make sense which begs the question as to why aston didnt make it that way in the first place.

Just looking at your interior pic and from memory of the one I went in, the gear shift surround is cheapish hard plastic, the inside door handles felt fiat and a few other egregious bits. Not a deal breaker but they could have and should have gotten all the touch feely buts right. The interior though is clean, unlike the overworught tarts handbag that is the new one.

As for steering feel and handling I'll take your word for it. No reason though for the ride to be so harsh.

As for sightlines, thats the price of great styling, we cant have great lines and proportions as well as honda sightlines.

The old vs new car reminds me of what I saw just yesterday. A new dayglo green and black Mclaren 570 being followed by a mint 928 S4. One was just crass and the other really classy great looking and appealing. I wonder what it says about our current society that modern fast cars are so obvious and crass. I guess they need to look really really fast while the paddle crowd drives them in traffic at the speed limit.

Anyway It seems like we have lost Aston, all thats left now is the Miata and Lotus, well there is the new renault alpine but you cant get that here. Lotus fortunatly keeps making all the right noises about keeping its mojo. The Cayman Gt4 I also hear great things about and they look decent. But the classy front engined Gt seems to have died with the last vantage.

I've long maintaned that the aston vantage is the futie classic collectable. Hadnt thought of a powerpack car before, always assumed the V12 was the only one to get, but now you have me thinking, and Ill bet a v8 powerpack is reasonable to buy. How has it been to keep running?

I
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 02:03 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Great comments, I am was not familar with the powerpack. The changes make sense which begs the question as to why aston didnt make it that way in the first place.
I can only guess that Aston thought their market would be more geared towards the GT than the sports car initially. The engine with a heavy flywheel and laggy throttle response is a better cruiser. The stock suspension was relatively soft as well from what I've read, mine has the later sport pack so I don't have 1st hand experience.

Quote:
Just looking at your interior pic and from memory of the one I went in, the gear shift surround is cheapish hard plastic, the inside door handles felt fiat and a few other egregious bits. Not a deal breaker but they could have and should have gotten all the touch feely buts right. The interior though is clean, unlike the overworught tarts handbag that is the new one.
The surround is actually polished aluminum and the door handles and rests are painted, cast aluminum. All of the climate control knobs are aluminum as well. If it looks like metal in this car, it is, aside from that upper console piece on some cars.

Quote:
As for steering feel and handling I'll take your word for it. No reason though for the ride to be so harsh.
The sport suspension is a stiff suspension, with big 19" wheels and stiff sidewall tires, but I wouldn't say that it rides more harsh than a 911. it's more plush than my sport pack Elise .

Quote:
As for sightlines, thats the price of great styling, we cant have great lines and proportions as well as honda sightlines.
Agreed.

Quote:
The old vs new car reminds me of what I saw just yesterday. A new dayglo green and black Mclaren 570 being followed by a mint 928 S4. One was just crass and the other really classy great looking and appealing. I wonder what it says about our current society that modern fast cars are so obvious and crass. I guess they need to look really really fast while the paddle crowd drives them in traffic at the speed limit.

Anyway It seems like we have lost Aston, all thats left now is the Miata and Lotus, well there is the new renault alpine but you cant get that here. Lotus fortunatly keeps making all the right noises about keeping its mojo. The Cayman Gt4 I also hear great things about and they look decent. But the classy front engined Gt seems to have died with the last vantage.

I've long maintaned that the aston vantage is the futie classic collectable. Hadnt thought of a powerpack car before, always assumed the V12 was the only one to get, but now you have me thinking, and Ill bet a v8 powerpack is reasonable to buy. How has it been to keep running?

I
I've also never driven a 4.7L car, I understand they have noticeably more torque than the 4.3. I wouldn't complain if I had a 4.7, but I like the rev-able nature of the 4.3 and the sound, oh the sound.

I'm sure the V12 is a monster and still has great chassis balance, but if you look at where that engine sits, it's much higher and further forward than the V8.

I may just not be power hungry, but I've never felt that 400 hp isn't enough in this car. It's definitely not as much violent thrust as say, a Hurcan or a 991 Turbo, but it's certainly plenty as far as I'm concerned. I generally enjoy the character of an engine than the ultimate power numbers. The 4.3 has alot of personality.

As for maintenance, they are very solid, well built cars. They have few design faults and are generally pretty reliable. They go through tires pretty fast and the stock clutch can be hard to master and wears quickly. I had a 986 Boxster S for a long time and it was alot more temperamental than the Vantage.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 08:23 PM
boxerman

Quote:

I may just not be power hungry, but I've never felt that 400 hp isn't enough in this car. It's definitely not as much violent thrust as say, a Hurcan or a 991 Turbo, but it's certainly plenty as far as I'm concerned. I generally enjoy the character of an engine than the ultimate power numbers. The 4.3 has alot of personality.

As for maintenance, they are very solid, well built cars. They have few design faults and are generally pretty reliable. They go through tires pretty fast and the stock clutch can be hard to master and wears quickly. I had a 986 Boxster S for a long time and it was alot more temperamental than the Vantage.
What year is yours, what year did they go to the 4.7. Engine size does not make it less lazy. Gearing flywheel and tune are all bigger factors.

Agreed 400hp is plenty for road car.

Maintanace, I have a ferarri 512BB so am somewhat inured to the term maintanance, and the exige v6 track car eats tires and brakes like there is no tomorrow. What goes wrong on the Aston, whats the yearly upkeep require, any big expenses over the years, excluding tires. If one owned the car for say 10 years what would you estimate the average yearly maintance bill would be, and what big expenses occur here and there over the years. Ie what goes wrong on these.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 06:45 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
What year is yours, what year did they go to the 4.7. Engine size does not make it less lazy. Gearing flywheel and tune are all bigger factors.

Agreed 400hp is plenty for road car.

Maintanace, I have a ferarri 512BB so am somewhat inured to the term maintanance, and the exige v6 track car eats tires and brakes like there is no tomorrow. What goes wrong on the Aston, whats the yearly upkeep require, any big expenses over the years, excluding tires. If one owned the car for say 10 years what would you estimate the average yearly maintance bill would be, and what big expenses occur here and there over the years. Ie what goes wrong on these.
Mine is an '07. They went to the 4.7 in '09. The 4.7 was noted as having more torque but being a little less satisfying at the top end and some people say the 4.3 sounds better.

There really is very little that goes wrong with these cars. They're very solid. Some cars have a timing cover seal leak that Aston has since addressed. Leather on some dashboard parts can shrink and need replacement and the door on the GPS system is fragile. Like any exotic, they are expensive to get work on. These cars have a transaxle and a torque tube, so there's alot to remove to replace a clutch, it's about $7,000 from the dealer. In general it has cost me about $300 or so a year in maintenance.

If you're looking to buy one, THE definitive book to buy is this one:

http://www.astonmartinreview.co.uk/
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 06:48 PM
boxerman

Quote:
Mine is an '07. They went to the 4.7 in '09. The 4.7 was noted as having more torque but being a little less satisfying at the top end and some people say the 4.3 sounds better.

There really is very little that goes wrong with these cars. They're very solid. Some cars have a timing cover seal leak that Aston has since addressed. Leather on some dashboard parts can shrink and need replacement and the door on the GPS system is fragile. Like any exotic, they are expensive to get work on. These cars have a transaxle and a torque tube, so there's alot to remove to replace a clutch, it's about $7,000 from the dealer. In general it has cost me about $300 or so a year in maintenance.

If you're looking to buy one, THE definitive book to buy is this one:

Aston Martin Review
Is the difference between the 4.3 and 4.7 bore or stroke. A longer stroke definitely leads to a rougher motor esp up top but more Tq. A sweet rever is always great.

The 1.8 in our 4cyl loti is a stroker hence not very sweet up top.
The 3.5 toyota V6 is as smooth as a motor gets.

Yeah a 4.3 powerpack sounds really interesting. Either that or I have this strange hankering for bently arange, its juts the runnign cost that scares me on that one.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 11:46 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
I've enjoyed your conversation gentlemen.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 10:09 PM

Photos taken today at the LA Auto Show. Car is being shown in the Galpin Studio room.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
Attached Images

Lotus events in California - www.gglotus.org
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 05:27 AM

Looks pretty sweet in that environment

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in