Because I'd Never Had a Miata - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Less is Better

Because I'd Never Had a Miata

I bought a super cheap NB to enjoy over the winter while the other cars sleep in the garage.
Attached Images

VisualEchos likes this.

Last edited by me73; 11-05-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 04:04 PM

NB.

I have a 2003, great cars. I've used mine as a DD sometimes, even in winter, and rallycrossed it once.
Attached Images

PLAY-DOH likes this.

Last edited by centerpunch; 11-05-2017 at 04:09 PM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Less is Better

I looked at the S2000 and the BRZ. Both great sports cars. They both were similar in that they have very solid and precise driver interfaces. Moreso than the Miata. But when it came down to what was the most fun to drive around town under any conditions, the Miata wins. The Miata just wants to play, it's a toy in the way that the other, heavier cars can't match. Very Elise-like in that respect.
[email protected] likes this.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 06:08 PM

Because I'd Never Had a Miata

The reason your ND was so cheap is because it's an NB. LOL.
I've had three and loved them all. Really fun, inexpensive cars.

Congrats.
Parko likes this.

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerpunch View Post
NB.

I have a 2003, great cars. I've used mine as a DD sometimes, even in winter, and rallycrossed it once.

Your 3rd picture gives the illusion that the car has gobs of power. 😉

Looks like a fun day.

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusCC View Post
The reason your ND was so cheap is because it's an NB. LOL.
I've had three and loved them all. Really fun, inexpensive cars.

Congrats.
oops, fixed
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusCC View Post
Your 3rd picture gives the illusion that the car has gobs of power. 😉
Looks like a fun day.
It was a riot. My Miata (4th one I've had!) has LSD and was running all-season Conti DWS tires.

I was the fastest RWD car at the event!

(Also the only RWD car at the event.....)
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Less is Better

Day 1 of commuting, day 3 of owning. Man, the brake and gas pedals are far apart. Even my WRX is alot easier to heel-and-toe.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 07:07 AM

It's a real heel/toe. On the Elise I can just roll the foot. On the Miata it was more heel and toe.

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
Day 1 of commuting, day 3 of owning. Man, the brake and gas pedals are far apart. Even my WRX is alot easier to heel-and-toe.
My NA Miata had a set of pedals installed that widened the footprint of the go pedal. Made it a lot easier to heel-toe. Perhaps look at a set of those?

Love me some good Miata action.

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
My NA Miata had a set of pedals installed that widened the footprint of the go pedal. Made it a lot easier to heel-toe. Perhaps look at a set of those?

Love me some good Miata action.
I'm not flexible enough to twist my ankle around to hnt with the stock setup.

I'm going to try to dig out an old Razo gas pedal that I bought 20 years ago and never used...
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 05:35 PM

Weird I can heel/toe a miata without thinking about it and after 2000 miles in the Elise I still not even close to getting in right in this car.
I love the miata. I was going to put way too much money into one before buying the Elise. I was going to turbo k20 swap one with an S2000 transmission, and it would be an amazing car, but it would still be a miata, and one with way way too much money in it.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1Rx7 View Post
Weird I can heel/toe a miata without thinking about it and after 2000 miles in the Elise I still not even close to getting in right in this car.
I love the miata. I was going to put way too much money into one before buying the Elise. I was going to turbo k20 swap one with an S2000 transmission, and it would be an amazing car, but it would still be a miata, and one with way way too much money in it.
Really? I find both pedals in the Elise really easy to reach with my foot. I will say, adjusting the gas pedal up made a big improvement.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Less is Better

Easily fixed my pedal issue, Bent the gas pedal lever over towards the brake. I have to say for under $3000, this car is less than 10% of what I paid for the Elise 5 years ago, but it;s like 85% as much fun.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Easily fixed my pedal issue, Bent the gas pedal lever over towards the brake. I have to say for under $3000, this car is less than 10% of what I paid for the Elise 5 years ago, but it;s like 85% as much fun.
I would agree with this assessment. The Miata's are just so damned fun. The smile per dollar metric is real. If in the future my Exige ever gets wrecked, god forbid, I think I'll be going the way of a Miata (NA or NB) for a track-biased street toy.

How's your shifter? I installed a short shifter on mine and it remains, to this day, one of the best boxes I've ever had the opportunity to work through the gears.

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 10:12 AM

One of the things I like about the Elise was that I can really wring it out and thrash it. The spec Miata I drove once (NA, I believe) had a similar tenacity. It just didn't have the same directness though.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I would agree with this assessment. The Miata's are just so damned fun. The smile per dollar metric is real. If in the future my Exige ever gets wrecked, god forbid, I think I'll be going the way of a Miata (NA or NB) for a track-biased street toy.

How's your shifter? I installed a short shifter on mine and it remains, to this day, one of the best boxes I've ever had the opportunity to work through the gears.
LOVE the shifter. I'm sure it's stock, but it's short and direct. It's not as short as say, an S2000, but I had a little trouble getting the S2000 into reverse, no issues with the Miata. I think it's on par with the Honda as far as feel. The thing with F/R cars (the ones without a rear transaxle anyway) is that there are no cables and if there are rods, their short, so there's no slop and it's really direct. The transmission in the NB and NA are evolutions of the Rx-7. It actually feels just about the same as my Rx-7, which I have a short Momo knob on but the lever is stock. So essentially I've actually been using this transmission for about 30 years.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
One of the things I like about the Elise was that I can really wring it out and thrash it. The spec Miata I drove once (NA, I believe) had a similar tenacity. It just didn't have the same directness though.
I come off of a turn onto a straight section of road, floor it, there's acceleration, the engine is growling, the suspension hunkers down just a bit, I'm managing the steering to keep the car straight, I look down and... I'm just 5 over the speed limit, 40mph. It's hilarious and amazing that they can make a slow car feel so fast.

The other impressive thing is how well controlled the car's suspension is while still being compliant. This is a Lotus trick that Mazda definitely understands. My Elise has the sport pack, so I don't even get this sensation in my Lotus.

Speed bumps are much less harsh in the Miata than even in my G37 sedan, let alone any other sports car. And yet the car is so planted I can approach and run through roundabouts without even lifting off the throttle in anticipation. And yet I can kick the tail out with a stab of the throttle when I want to. It's really fascinating to explore what they'vs done with the car's dynamics.

Last edited by me73; 12-10-2017 at 08:23 AM.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
I come off of a turn onto a straight section of road, floor it, there's acceleration, the engine is growling, the suspension hunkers down just a bit, I'm managing the steering to keep the car straight, I look down and... I'm just 5 over the speed limit, 40mph. It's hilarious and amazing that they can make a slow car feel so fast.

The other impressive thing is how well controlled the car's suspension is while still being compliant. This is a Lotus trick that Mazda definitely understands. My Elise has the sport pack, so I don't even get this sensation in my Lotus.

Speed bumps are much less harsh in the Miata than even in my G37 sedan, let alone any other sports car. And yet the car is so planted I can approach and run through roundabouts without even lifting off the throttle in anticipation. And yet I can kick the tail out with a stab of the throttle when I want to. It's really fascinating to explore what they'vs done with the car's dynamics.
Keep in mind, too, the car I am referring to had slicks, being a spec miata. This killed a lot of that, and the rest died with the engine. It just never felt happy to rev or shift quickly. Heel-toe sounded good, but that was about the only time it seemed "happy". This particular car could've just been tired out, too. The track was far to smooth and I was far too slow to observe the suspension setup's behavior.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Less is Better

Sold Miata #1 at the beginning of the spring. Bought Miata #2 just a few days ago. There's noticeably more space in the 1st gen cars and also noticeably less torque. This one is in really nice shape, only 47,000 miles. Now it's color matches my other sports cars

I don't like to make many comparisons to the Elise, because there is no comparison, but one fascinating thing to me is that despite the minimalism and seemingly low cost of the construction of the interior of the Elise, it still feels like the Miata's interior parts and touch points are cheaper. It's odd, but the Miata feels like an economy car interior, the Elise, somehow does not.
Attached Images

Last edited by me73; 08-30-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in