Because I'd Never Had a Miata - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 12:19 PM

@me73 That Miata looks clean AF (as the kids say)! I keep thinking I want to get another NA for a track ratmobile. I love those cars. Agreed that they are very similar but also different. It's the driver involvement. And that shift feel is soooooooooo nice, especially with a nice short shifter kit and new bushings.

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:05 PM
Back to the Future, again

I had the NA when it first came out. Man, I loved that car. It was the first car I got into customizing. Given the chance, I'd get another one for a toss around fun beater car.

My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
@me73 That Miata looks clean AF (as the kids say)! I keep thinking I want to get another NA for a track ratmobile. I love those cars. Agreed that they are very similar but also different. It's the driver involvement. And that shift feel is soooooooooo nice, especially with a nice short shifter kit and new bushings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
I had the NA when it first came out. Man, I loved that car. It was the first car I got into customizing. Given the chance, I'd get another one for a toss around fun beater car.
When I bought the '99, I didn't plan on keeping it for very long, I just wanted something through the winter. I think I might hold onto this one for a while. It's in such nice shape.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:22 AM

My miata was the first fun car I bought and the one I learned to work on and modify cars. I still own it but now it's more of a track toy than anything else as it has slowly become more spartan due to continuous modifications.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:41 AM

Garage
Daily drove a 2001 for nearly a decade. I still remember leaving an autox event, wasn't competitive at all as a novice, but man was it fun. I remember smiling ear to ear as I pulled away from the event onto some wooded and curvy back roads back home. What a perfect gateway drug to an Elise/Exige!

Name:  IMG_1364.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  95.7 KB

2006 Lotus Exige BRG
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 04:45 PM

I own a 2014 NC Club Miata. Lots of fun even in stock form, 500 lbs heavier than Elise, 23hp less, same width, a few inches longer and taller, sits up much more, silky 6sp, much easier in and out of course, not as visceral of course, enough utility and comfort to take trips but enough smallness to not be a primary car. I’m looking at Elise’s but have to decide if it’s different enough in the right ways to replace the Miata considering it’s at least double the money. New to the forum so want to learn as much as I can and figure out what works for my needs best. My history is Japanese and specifically all the Mazda rotaries. Best was the 93 FD for sure but love the look of the 05 Elise especially in Orange or Green. I always pick the tough ones to find.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mphjr_lt View Post
I own a 2014 NC Club Miata. Lots of fun even in stock form, 500 lbs heavier than Elise, 23hp less, same width, a few inches longer and taller, sits up much more, silky 6sp, much easier in and out of course, not as visceral of course, enough utility and comfort to take trips but enough smallness to not be a primary car. I’m looking at Elise’s but have to decide if it’s different enough in the right ways to replace the Miata considering it’s at least double the money. New to the forum so want to learn as much as I can and figure out what works for my needs best. My history is Japanese and specifically all the Mazda rotaries. Best was the 93 FD for sure but love the look of the 05 Elise especially in Orange or Green. I always pick the tough ones to find.
As much as I've loved both my Miatas, that 500 pounds and 23 HP is just the tip of the iceberg in differences between the cars. The only thing I can tell you is that you have to drive the Elise and see if it fits your desires. It's very different (and much, much better) to drive and (way harder) to live with than an NC or FD (when the FD is actually running). If you're into mechanical interaction and feedback, you'll be in heaven. BTW, the Elise is significantly quicker than a stock FD so the Miata feels like it's dragging an anchor by comparison.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 06:36 AM

Ridden not driven so far

I've ridden in an Elise so I understand some of the significant differences and can imagine others. My FD was modified enough to make it significantly quicker than stock yet pretty reliable too and very comfortable. Would like to have it back but that's not going to happen. It's every bit as hard to get in and out of an Elise as everyone says and not comfortable by pretty much any description but that's not a big problem for me. I don't do significant mechanical work on my cars so the potential cam issues and just general maintenance/upkeep costs are of some concern plus trying to find a solid car given that a lot of them change hands frequently and history is not available. Way cool cars though so interested to investigate and learn.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mphjr_lt View Post
I've ridden in an Elise so I understand some of the significant differences and can imagine others. My FD was modified enough to make it significantly quicker than stock yet pretty reliable too and very comfortable. Would like to have it back but that's not going to happen. It's every bit as hard to get in and out of an Elise as everyone says and not comfortable by pretty much any description but that's not a big problem for me. I don't do significant mechanical work on my cars so the potential cam issues and just general maintenance/upkeep costs are of some concern plus trying to find a solid car given that a lot of them change hands frequently and history is not available. Way cool cars though so interested to investigate and learn.
I find that it's easier to work on my Elise than pretty much any of my other cars, including my own Rx-7. General upkeep is no different from any other sports car, really. Oil, filter, brake fluid every year, other oils and fluids on a pretty normal schedule.

I have local indy shops and a Lotus dealer in town, but the car has only once seen the dealer for a recall and only once been to the indy for a cam refresh. Most indies that work on European cars will work on the Lotus.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 07:20 AM

Did you catch your worn cams from inspection or symptoms of some sort? I've read that you might get check engine warnings or notice performance degradation or that you might have to inspect to find.
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 07:35 AM

Garage
For all that there's a lot of reaching around corners or removing panels to work on the Elise drive train, cam inspection is one of the things you can do without much trouble at all. Everything is top and center and the only concession to ergonomics you might consider is removing the engine cover (four bolts). It's really not that bad.

My understanding is that you get symptoms or a CEL if you didn't catch it soon enough. Once people became aware of the issue, a lot of worn cams (and followers) got replaced after inspection before symptoms emerged.
post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelypip View Post
Once people became aware of the issue, a lot of worn cams (and followers) got replaced after inspection before symptoms emerged.
@Mphjr_lt - This was the case for me. It's very easy to take off the valve cover, it's maybe a 30 minute job the first time and then more like 10 after that. All you need is a socket set with spark plug socket, a torque wrench, a little RTV and a finger nail (hopefully still connected to your finger ).

I found some minor wear on the lobes and decided to replace them because it's not that expensive. About $1200 in parts and labor. I could have waited for years before doing it, really.

As far as systemic engine issues, the Elise's cam wear is not a big deal. It's not like the IMS or chain tensioner on a Porsche, BMW V10 rod bearings, the timing belt or exhaust headers on a Ferrari or even the apex seal on a rotary. This is a fairly innocuous failure that has to be pretty bad before it becomes a risk to the engine.

When I replace the cam next time, I'll use the BOE hardened part and that will be the end of the issue forever. I would absolutely not make this a barrier to the purchase of an Elise. For all intents and purposes, the Elise is extremely reliable, especially considering the boutique nature of the car.
Mphjr_lt likes this.

Last edited by me73; 12-06-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in