The BOSS is back - Ford brings back the Mustang 302 BOSS - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Stilling doing God's work

The BOSS is back - Ford brings back the Mustang 302 BOSS

Mustang: Meet the new Boss - Return engagement (1) - CNNMoney.com

Ford is bringing back the Boss. The Mustang Boss 302, a name that first appeared in 1969 on a car meant to compete with the likes of General Motors' Chevrolet Camaro Z28, both on the street and on the track.

The 2012 Boss 302 will feature an improved version of the 5.0-liter V8 used in the standard Mustang GT. In the Boss, the engine is tuned to rev higher and deliver more power. For serious racers willing to sacrifice some creature comforts, there's a version that takes things a bit farther.

In the Boss, Ford's 5.0-liter V8 will be capable of producing 440 horsepower, a big jump from the already plentiful 412 horsepower in the Mustang GT.

A new intake system, camshafts and more aggressive valve timing all help produce the horsepower boost.

Even with the power upgrades, Ford promises the engine will still be amiable in around-town driving. There will be only one transmission available for this car, a six speed manual.

Engineers found the standard Mustang GT's exhaust already provided ample performance within legal noise limits. On the Boss, they concentrated on tuning the sound to provide a unique experience, Ford said.

For that, an extra pair of exhaust pipes were added. They come out just ahead of the rear wheels. While they don't carry much of the car's exhaust, they transmit a lot of its sound.

Metal discs inside the extra pipes tune and soften the sound to meet legal requirements. The discs are easily removable, according to Ford, for track driving or other situations where noise regulations aren't an issue.

or better track times, the Boss will be available in a Laguna Seca version, named for the famed racetrack.

In this car, the backseats are removed, replaced by crisscrossed steel braces that strengthen the body. Outside, the Boss 302 Laguna Seca has aerodynamic add-ons that nearly mirror those found on the track-only Boss 302R

This car also gets brake ducts that feed cooling air directly to the brake rotors for improved performance. They're also available as options on the standard Boss 302,

The Recaro seats seen here are also available as an option on the regular Boss 302.

The suspension on the Boss 302 is adjustable to five different settings. Instead of pressing a button or turning a knob inside the cabin, suspension settings are changed using screw at the top of shock absorber towers under the hood. Steering response is also adjustable through a menu in the car's instrument cluster.

Ford has not yet released pricing or fuel economy figures for the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 04:38 AM

I want one of these. I wish that the Laguna didn't come in the Porsche RS dayglo, though.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 04:54 AM

I do like this latest version of Mustang...Boss version even better. Even the new GT looks pretty good...I have to get over the interior design but if I can live with my Lotus interior, this should be fine too

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptalk View Post
In the Boss, Ford's 5.0-liter V8 will be capable of producing 440 horsepower, a big jump from the already plentiful 412 horsepower in the Mustang GT.
28 extra horsepower is a "big jump" but the 30 extra horsepower between an Elise and an Exige S is not considered substantial?

I owned a Mustang for a while. Horrible, horrible car.

2007 Exige S - Krypton Green - VF Stage 2 - RLS Intercooler - Volk TE37s - B&M Shifter - 2bular header & exhaust - Sector111 motorsport engine mounts - stripes - harnesses - Pagid pads - Green air filter
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 06:08 AM

my next car for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
horrible??? what? what year 1984?
outstanding automobile.

"HE WHO SAYS IT CANNOT BE DONE SHOULD NEVER INTERRUPT THE ONE WHO IS DOING IT" R.R.E RIP
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 06:20 AM

Ford is on a roll. The Boss looks fantastic and will likely be impressively rapid at most every venue, from drag strip to race track.

I'm also in the ex-Mustang club. I had a '93 Cobra. I agree it was a horrible car but it was also quite fun in a trashy redneck sort of way. It did the best burnouts but the brakes, handling, and chassis were all crap. I'm going to have to go drive the Boss 302 and see if they were able to keep the fun factor but make it more sophisticated and a real car that doesn't fall apart.

'07 Exige S270 :: Aspen White ::

"This is like O. Henry and Alanis Morissette had a baby and named it "this exact situation"."
Sterling Mallory Archer
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 07:36 AM

After owning a '90 GT and a '96 Cobra I thought I was done with Mustangs, but Ford may eventually make me eat my words. The Mustang formula of creating the "best bang for the buck" is hard to ignore.

2006 Elise
2008 335i
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 07:56 AM

I'll guess that the car will sticker around $40K which is between the GT and GT 500. Not too many kids will be buying these I suspect. I also agree that this is best bang for the buck and I am glad to see that despite the green movement the auto manufacturers are still cranking out bigger and badder muscle.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 08:03 AM

They had a big unveiling and display of the new Boss at the Historics this past weekend. They did a good job of copying the old style and spirit. And despite thinking the newest Mustang is pretty ugly, the new Boss is a good-looking car (red wheels aside). The question is whether it will succeed, or follow in the footsteps of the last Boss or Bullitts which seemed to falter.

2006 Exige "LotusBee"
2008 BMW 135i M-sport (the DD)
2009 Ninja 250R (for sale)
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 08:19 AM

Aren't all of the 5.0 mustang V8s 302s?

so when is the Boss 429 coming...

SRA Champion 2011 and 2012.
My first Lotus gave me a track disease. Now working with and racing Porsche's
Rennpart.com
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Elise Guru

M3 in a Mullet! I've been wanting new BOSS forever.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 10:26 AM

who else is STILL putting solid rear axles in their premier products?

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 10:37 AM

this is the first generation of Mustang that is really intriguing to me. They did a great job with the new 5.0

'06 Chrome Orange Elise
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Stilling doing God's work

Also thinking of switching back to this BOSS. Had a late 90's GT, it wasn't that bad. However, this one does look sweet.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitfan View Post
who else is STILL putting solid rear axles in their premier products?
Who else is putting McStruts in their premiere products(M3) or hang the engine behind the rear axle(911)? Not saying it is ideal (For Ideal please see McLaren MP4-12C), but they can make it work pretty well like BMW and Porsche.

Winning Suspension
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHAD View Post
horrible??? what? what year 1984?
It was a 2000 coupe.

The suspension, steering, brakes, power, ergonomics, quality, design: all utter crap.

2007 Exige S - Krypton Green - VF Stage 2 - RLS Intercooler - Volk TE37s - B&M Shifter - 2bular header & exhaust - Sector111 motorsport engine mounts - stripes - harnesses - Pagid pads - Green air filter
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickOpalak View Post
It was a 2000 coupe.

The suspension, steering, brakes, power, ergonomics, quality, design: all utter crap.
when i was going to take a rental out for a track day i got a mustang, returned it the next day for a mazda 3. no way i was getting on the track in that thing. utter crap is a good description. that was like a 2008.

i just don't understand the mustang.... either 30 year old chassis, or 60 year old suspension... pick your poison

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 06:28 AM
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitfan View Post
when i was going to take a rental out for a track day i got a mustang, returned it the next day for a mazda 3. no way i was getting on the track in that thing. utter crap is a good description. that was like a 2008.

i just don't understand the mustang.... either 30 year old chassis, or 60 year old suspension... pick your poison
WELLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got nothing. I just like them. Kind of like watching Kevin Smith movies. There's no good reason for it.

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 06:43 AM

For Fred...

Competition-spec Ford Mustang to take on FIA GT3 European Championship — Autoblog

I love cheering for the underdog!

2006 Phantom Black Elise (MP45 factory retrofit, black LSS wheels, RE11s)
1964 Ford Falcon Sprint V8
1972 Ford Bronco (project)
2011 Subaru WRX
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 09:50 AM

For a lot of owners, it's about the image and history of mustang. Or sentimentality. I have one because the first car I fell in love with was when I was 5 years old, and my mom pulled up in a 67 convertible to pick me up from kindergarten. I longed after that car for 11 years til I was old enough to drive, and that became "my" daily driver. And I can't tell you how many people would come up to me telling me they remember when they used to have an old Mustang. It seems to me like the older crowd wants to relive their glory days, and the younger crowd wants to create glory days to relive later.

That said, my mustang is modded to actually be driveable... (If only the interior were easier to upgrade.) Haven't driven the new ones much to have an opinion if anything has gotten better since the style change. But then, unlike many mustang drivers, I don't think my mustang is god's gift to the automotive world. The Lotus on the other hand....

2006 Exige "LotusBee"
2008 BMW 135i M-sport (the DD)
2009 Ninja 250R (for sale)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in