Bought 1992 Miata... now I know why itís so loveable. I wish my Evora would shift as - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 14Likes
  • 1 Post By MrBreeze
  • 1 Post By scv
  • 1 Post By brgelise
  • 1 Post By MrBreeze
  • 2 Post By me73
  • 1 Post By VisualEchos
  • 2 Post By Trick Wheels
  • 2 Post By [email protected]
  • 1 Post By dr-exmedic
  • 1 Post By Kurtastraphy
  • 1 Post By Notorious

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bought 1992 Miata... now I know why itís so loveable. I wish my Evora would shift as

As this old lady
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 02:52 AM

I had a few Miata's the last a 2017 RF with a short shift kit, I think the 400 has a great gearbox, just needs a shorter throw.
nintense likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 04:20 AM
scv

Agree with both above; after 3 Miata's (current owner 2016), continued awe of how well the car does what is intended, including crisp shifting...........Evora 400 very similar, slightly longer throw.....complementary I feel considering direct vs cable connections.......
nintense likes this.

"the most uninterested man in the world....stay thirsty, my friend"
2017 Evora 400
2012 Evora S-sold

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 05:08 AM

My therapy yesterday aftr sending my 15 yr old poodle to heaven was a nice 45 minute top down cruise in the wife's 12 Miata GT PRHT. It is an auto as she does not shift but the paddles do everything I ask of it. Just wish redline wasn't so low!!! Most fun occurs when you see hairpin 20mph corners
nintense likes this.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 05:12 AM

This was my last Miata, it had about 10k worth of upgrades. Does anyone make a SSK for the 400?
Attached Images

nintense likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 05:38 AM

I have a 6 speed 2008 Miata and it is superb. The 5 speed Miata transmission is supposed to be even better.

The solution is to own both an Evora and a Miata. I am aiming at adding the Evora.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 05:47 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
My therapy yesterday aftr sending my 15 yr old poodle to heaven......:
That sucks. 15 years is a good run for a big dog. Losing an old pal like that is tough.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusquacious View Post
That sucks. 15 years is a good run for a big dog. Losing an old pal like that is tough.
She actually a toy but still 15years and they are instilled in your heart. I can't quite fall in love with new RF and neither can my wife. We don't know why but maybe if they smarten up and make it in True Red like our 2012..... and add 50HP.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 07:24 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintense View Post
As this old lady
There's honestly something magical about the NA and NB Miata. Size, weight, suspension, simplicity. It's a joy to drive in any situation. Subtle, stiff (enough), communicative, maneuverable, and makes all the right sounds. One thing that I don't hear alot about is the gearing. The ratios are just perfectly selected to match the character of the engine. The shifter is magnificent. It's direct linkage to the transmission is just superior to a remote box. The flex and bend of a rod or cable isn't there. Our mid-engine cars will never be as good. As soon as I sold it I started thinking about buying another one.

I wasn't happy with the steering feel in the ND and it's a tight squeeze for me. But I love that it's being made.

I believe that as cars get heavier and more complicated, younger enthusiasts will continue to re-discover the joys of a simple sports car and hopefully Lotus will re-think the plan to not replace the Elise.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f152...-miata-432793/
Attached Images

brgelise and nintense like this.

Last edited by me73; 06-23-2018 at 08:10 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 07:34 AM

I've had 2 Miata's, a 1997 and a 2004 Mazdaspeed turbo, and for my money there are no better Sports Cars on the planet. So easy to use, fantastic balance, cheap to own/maintain, not too serious, just pure joy. Only about a billion times better than my S2000 and Exige. They are just fantastic packages.
brgelise likes this.

2006 Exige
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 09:46 AM

I have been driving a 1991 Miata everyday for the past 4-years. I bought it with 60k actual miles and it just turned 90k last week. It is a great car for L.A. traffic. I love it!

I bought a new 2016 MX-5 (Miata) ND with the club package (Brembo brakes, forged BBS wheels, Bilstein shocks and a limited-slip differential) on the last day of November 2016. Overall, I like the 1991 better than the new car, although the new car is faster.

In fact, the new MX-5 sits in the garage most of the time and I recently decided to sell it (it has less than 4k miles on it!). I realized I only need my 2011 Elise SC for weekends and the NA Miata for everyday and I'll be happy!

Good luck with your new Miata!
Tim in Irwindale
brgelise and VisualEchos like this.

2011 Lotus Elise SC (Storm Titanium/Magnolia 1 of 1) 13k miles
2011 Lotus Elise SC (Ardent Red/Black 1 of 2 w/ Black Pack) 34k miles
1994 Buick Century Special Wagon (White/Tan) Daily Driver 70k miles
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 10:27 AM

The earlier Miata's had more charm IMO, but I start at 1994 with the 1.8 Protege engine, as the 1.6 was just too anorexic for my taste. 1994-1998 are the cars to have (IMO), with my favorite being the 1995 Merlot M Edition with the BBS wheels.

2006 Exige
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 12:26 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick Wheels View Post
I have been driving a 1991 Miata everyday for the past 4-years. I bought it with 60k actual miles and it just turned 90k last week. It is a great car for L.A. traffic. I love it!

I bought a new 2016 MX-5 (Miata) ND with the club package (Brembo brakes, forged BBS wheels, Bilstein shocks and a limited-slip differential) on the last day of November 2016. Overall, I like the 1991 better than the new car, although the new car is faster.

In fact, the new MX-5 sits in the garage most of the time and I recently decided to sell it (it has less than 4k miles on it!). I realized I only need my 2011 Elise SC for weekends and the NA Miata for everyday and I'll be happy!

Tim in Irwindale
In my experience, the first generation of a model line is often the best. "Refinement" just dulls the car and takes it away from it's original intent.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
My therapy yesterday aftr sending my 15 yr old poodle to heaven was a nice 45 minute top down cruise in the wife's 12 Miata GT PRHT. It is an auto as she does not shift but the paddles do everything I ask of it. Just wish redline wasn't so low!!! Most fun occurs when you see hairpin 20mph corners

Sorry to hear about your dog, itís always hard.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick Wheels View Post

Tim in Irwindale

Got mine with 109k mostly garage kept. All manual (even the windows), need some minor repairs, but got it for funny price. Really love it.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 05:15 AM
Mark D

Garage
I can confirm that owning both is the solution . . . I have my 1990 Spec Miata with a blower that I track (between racing and tracking, I've got 15K track miles on it) and a '14 Evora S that I use to enjoy on the street. I tracked the Evora S a couple of times, but I like the cage, belts and low cost of tracking of the Miata. The best of both worlds
Attached Images

brgelise and nintense like this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 03:50 PM

Owning both is amazing.

I actually bought my 1995 Miata as a project, drop it into a Lotus Super Seven clone kit, but I find that I enjoy driving it so much I might need to buy another one so I can have both the clone and the OG Miata.

The place where it truly excels is when you have a 3-hour highway drive between you and your destination. I can drive my Elise all day on back roads, with my butt shifting all over the seat I never notice how firm those seats are...but put me on 100+ miles of freeway and I find that I don't actually enjoy it. The stock seats on the Miata, I could sit in for 8 hours of highway (plus it has cruise control).
nintense likes this.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 01:41 PM

The only thing that dissapointed me about the Evora was the shifting feel. I've since installed the Sector 111 shifter and transcables and it is actually a huge improvement. It is a little difficult to adjust but once you get it right it transforms the car. Shifts are easy and direct now. Best mod for the money in my opinion for Evora/S.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
nintense likes this.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 09:16 PM
Back to the Future, again

I've had my share of cars from a beater Ford ranger to whatever you might consider to be exotic or supercar. But the sweetest shifting car that offered the most pure driving enjoyment was a new off the showroom 1989 Miata which I got as a high school graduation gift. I miss that car.
nintense likes this.

My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in