Camaro SS 1LE - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Camaro SS 1LE

I may be in a position where I can only have 1 car, while I adore my lotus, it can't be a daily here in SoCal. I still want something that's trackable and relatively reliable. I thought the new SS 1LE, anyone have experience with one? Seems to be highly praised. I know it's blasphemy to some here, but I know a lot of you have an experienced a vairety of cars!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 06:19 PM

A friend just got one, and you really need to test drive it first. It feels very much like a hammer to the Lotus' scalpel, but there is definite joy in both. The good thing over a Lotus is that it is almost certain that you can find one within 30 minutes of you at a dealer, so there isn't much need to speculate whether or not it will speak to you.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 07:05 PM

I had a 5th gen SS. It's a boat.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 08:40 PM

I have a 4th Gen Z28 and it kicks ass.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

To clarify I am referring to the latest gen 6th as it as been praised by many as a fantastic drivers and track car. Despite the fatness
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 07:42 AM

If you are planning on tracking the car I would expect you will be feeding it new tires and brakes on a regular basis and they are far more expensive on a car like this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 12:23 PM

It's still a boat. There is no getting around that fact. Even with a set of coilovers and stiffer springs, you could feel the weight all over the place. Most people are ignorant of this because they have never driven a car as light as the Elise/Exige. The low end torque is great though. If you are OK with that, then I think it's a great car. Just as a FYI, consumables are not cheap.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 02:47 PM
boxerman

Get an evora
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

This was my main concern, how much you feel the weight and the comedic outward visibility. I need to stop reading so much motortrend.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 07:13 PM

I have a 2017 SS 1LE with almost 28k miles and several track days as a daily driver. I have over 15 years of track experience and it is the most capable car I have owned or driven. My track car ownership has been three Camaros, Corvette Z51, Mustang Performance Pack, and my current Exige S. Believe it or not the 1LE is ~3 seconds a lap faster around my 2.5 mile home track than the modified Exige with 60 treadwear tires. I've been unable to overheat the water, oil or brakes on the track. It gets around 26 MPG highway and I can run 87 octane or 88 e15 for a discount. GM warranties this vehicle on the track. I'm just now on my second set of Goodyear tires with the track alignment year round. The exhaust sounds amazing. Apple CarPlay works very well. The electronic rear diff and PTM are like magic on the track and street. I like to tell myself I'm .5 second faster than the computer per lap but have not been able to verify it;} The car will beat a Mustang GT350 on a short track for much less $. Get it with the PDR and you get the Cosworth Toolbox software for free. This allows you to analyze every portion of any racetrack with all of the OBD2 inputs and includes video. Here is a link to what the video looks like:

Now to the downside:
It's a $42.5k 1SS Camaro which includes a $7k track package. Resale, trade-in, and registration values are based on a 1SS Camaro. You can get a 2SS 1LE now for a premium. Visibility is not good. Let me reitorate...it's rough to see out of. The recaro seats are excellent for the track but are made for small people. I'm 5'5" 180 lbs and have developed some bruising on my legs due to more than 4 hour stints. You have to have snow tires if you are north of Kansas City. The steering and suspension are too stiff even in touring mode. There were less than 1300 of them sold in 2017 so the Dealers and many aftermarket suppliers don't know what they are yet.

I'm using it as a company car so I hope to be able to turn it into a dedicated track car when I'm done.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotusxs View Post
I have a 2017 SS 1LE with almost 28k miles and several track days as a daily driver. I have over 15 years of track experience and it is the most capable car I have owned or driven. My track car ownership has been three Camaros, Corvette Z51, Mustang Performance Pack, and my current Exige S. Believe it or not the 1LE is ~3 seconds a lap faster around my 2.5 mile home track than the modified Exige with 60 treadwear tires. I've been unable to overheat the water, oil or brakes on the track. It gets around 26 MPG highway and I can run 87 octane or 88 e15 for a discount. GM warranties this vehicle on the track. I'm just now on my second set of Goodyear tires with the track alignment year round. The exhaust sounds amazing. Apple CarPlay works very well. The electronic rear diff and PTM are like magic on the track and street. I like to tell myself I'm .5 second faster than the computer per lap but have not been able to verify it;} The car will beat a Mustang GT350 on a short track for much less $. Get it with the PDR and you get the Cosworth Toolbox software for free. This allows you to analyze every portion of any racetrack with all of the OBD2 inputs and includes video. Here is a link to what the video looks like:

Now to the downside:
It's a $42.5k 1SS Camaro which includes a $7k track package. Resale, trade-in, and registration values are based on a 1SS Camaro. You can get a 2SS 1LE now for a premium. Visibility is not good. Let me reitorate...it's rough to see out of. The recaro seats are excellent for the track but are made for small people. I'm 5'5" 180 lbs and have developed some bruising on my legs due to more than 4 hour stints. You have to have snow tires if you are north of Kansas City. The steering and suspension are too stiff even in touring mode. There were less than 1300 of them sold in 2017 so the Dealers and many aftermarket suppliers don't know what they are yet.

I'm using it as a company car so I hope to be able to turn it into a dedicated track car when I'm done.

Thanks for that, very detailed and no bias. I've seen some 2017 with under 10k miles going for low 30s! So they're dropping values pretty fast.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:43 PM

A Camaro will always kick ass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in