Cayman GT4 - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 07:29 PM
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
I'm sure the GT4 will be a very fun car. But it's still not the car it could be with the non-GT engine, a slightly detuned version of the 911S even. They could have at least given it the 911GTS engine with 425HP.
That'll be the GT4RS .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus F1 View Post
I can't imagine they felt the same with that weight difference. I felt a big difference from a Miata to my Elise when driven back to back....very odd
I never said they weighed the same.
There are so many other driving dynamics to factor in, I know we tend to focus on 1 thing here.
I had the sport suspension and the car handled fantastic. Very well balanced and planted.
Porsche builds great cars, and even the 99 Boxster with 200hp was a very fun car to drive.
I dont think Porsche knows any other way.
Not as raw as an Elise of course but when talking capabilities theyre very close, though I think my Elise was a little faster.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!

I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
post #23 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 07:51 PM
Lotus Hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
That'll be the GT4RS .
LOL okay. More money and more letters.

Seriously though, the depreciation on the latest (post-2009) Caymans hasn't been too bad, compared to the Evora or other similar cars. I think the whole intermediate shaft bearing thing killed the value of the pre-09 models. It's why I didn't get one, at least...

post #24 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
You know, that is a bit of a hurdle for buying a new P-Car to me too. I have a 2000 Boxster that was may dad's last sports car before he passed away, which is similarly optioned to the one that I bought new in 2000. The new gen's have evolved for sure, but when I drive them I just come away feeling like it's not different enough to get me excited over the Boxster I have in the garage. That has kind of killed the entire P-Car range for me for the last decade or so.

I guess that points to how good the older cars are, and how many other interesting cars there are out there to experience.
I agree, though I often wondered what my Boxster would have been like with another 120hp and gobs of tq. My only complaint before was that it was a little under powered. But yeah, its pretty much the same car, I guess, I havent driven a newish one.
Lots of interesting cars out there, Im trying to buy them 1 car at a time. lol

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
post #25 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
That depends on what you're looking for, I suppose. The Elise isn't a GT like the Boxster.
I dont know if most people would classify the Boxster as a GT. A 928? Yes.
Have you driven a Boxster?
Look, just because someone praises another car, or even if you do, it doesnt devalue the Elise in any way.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!

post #26 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
Not as raw as an Elise of course but when talking capabilities theyre very close, though I think my Elise was a little faster.
Hmm, the 0-60 of the Elise is almost 2 seconds faster than a 2.5 Boxster. I can tell my Elise is faster than my 3.2 Boxster, with the understanding that the Elise needed to be revved out to get it. I wonder if your Elise is/was down on power for some reason.
post #27 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Less is Better

Quote:
I dont know if most people would classify the Boxster as a GT. A 928? Yes.
Have you driven a Boxster?
Look, just because someone praises another car, or even if you do, it doesnt devalue the Elise in any way.
I owned a 2000 S with the RoW M030 suspension for six years. It's a GT, just like the 911 Carrera is a GT. That's not an insult, it's a description of the equipment and intent of the vehicle.

Last edited by me73; 02-04-2015 at 08:05 PM.
post #28 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Hmm, the 0-60 of the Elise is almost 2 seconds faster than a 2.5 Boxster. I can tell my Elise is faster than my 3.2 Boxster, with the understanding that the Elise needed to be revved out to get it. I wonder if your Elise is/was down on power for some reason.
Yeah, gee, maybe it was down on power, though I was talking on the 2 cars as a whole, handling included.
There ARE other cars that handle well, you know.
Based on MY experience the old Boxster is a great, cheap, capable car.
Am I here to pick apart every nuance of the 2 cars?
No. Not here, not now.
But I will say the Boxster probably performs around a track better than you care to give it credit for.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!

post #29 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I owned a 2000 S with the RoW M030 suspension for six years. It's a GT, just like the 911 Carrera is a GT. That's not an insult, it's a description of the equipment and intent of the vehicle.
So the Boxster S is a GT, but the Miata is a sports car?

I never disagreed with you that the Elise is more raw, more focused.
I already said that.
So whats the argument?
That there are other capable cars besides the Elise?

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!

post #30 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Less is Better

Quote:
Yeah, gee, maybe it was down on power, though I was talking on the 2 cars as a whole, handling included.
There ARE other cars that handle well, you know.
Based on MY experience the old Boxster is a great, cheap, capable car.
Am I here to pick apart every nuance of the 2 cars?
No. Not here, not now.
But I will say the Boxster probably performs around a track better than you care to give it credit for.
I enjoyed tracking my Boxster quite a bit, actually. As I stated in earlier posts, very nicely balanced and easy to control. I'm not sure where the hostility is coming from. If you read back, I have nothing but compliments for the mid engine platform cars.

Yes, the NA and NB Miatas are 2200 pound, loud, simple, rough around the edges sports cars. The Boxster has alot more refinement.

Last edited by me73; 02-04-2015 at 08:24 PM.
post #31 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I enjoyed tracking my Boxster quite a bit, actually. As I stated in earlier posts, very nicely balanced and easy to control. I'm not sure where the hostility is coming from.
Im not being hostile.
Im from Chicago youre from Washington. Maybe this is hostile where youre from, but I can assure you I am not being hostile.
Were talking cars, thats all.
You cant beat the steering box in the Elise or the lack of weight. That said, I found the car very twitchy at the limits, my driving style (or lack thereof) Im sure.
I found the P car much easier towards the limits and the azz end didnt always want to wave at me as it went by.

I will still stand by my comment that you dont lose much in a Boxster to an Elise. Generally speaking. I am sure 320hp in a Boxster makes it fairly robust, Gt or whatever else you want to call it.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!

post #32 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:24 PM
JWA

FWIW, I wouldn't classify the Boxster as a GT either. Most versions of the 911, for sure. But I'd consider both the Boxster and Cayman as simply sports cars.
post #33 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I enjoyed tracking my Boxster quite a bit, actually. As I stated in earlier posts, very nicely balanced and easy to control. I'm not sure where the hostility is coming from. If you read back, I have nothing but compliments for the mid engine platform cars.

Yes, the NA and NB Miatas are 2200 pound, loud, simple, rough around the edges sports cars. The Boxster has alot more refinement.
I understand, my friend.
I think it takes more than refinement to make it a GT car. I dont know.
Maybe Im wrong, maybe someone else can help me out.
I was impressed how P made a basic, simple car with some level of refinement.
Now its very refined, but again Im not sure thats a bad thing. Ferraris are refined these days.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!

post #34 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
FWIW, I wouldn't classify the Boxster as a GT either. Most versions of the 911, for sure. But I'd consider both the Boxster and Cayman as simply sports cars.
I would agree, though sometimes that line is a little blurry.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!

post #35 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Less is Better

Quote:
The rear and mid engine cars use 75% of the same parts. Weight and equipment are trivially different. They only come with leather interiors, plush carpets, insulated powered convertible tops, and lots and lots of sound deadening. I could drive my Boxster in comfort for hours without complaint, it was a really nice place to spend time. That, to me, is a GT.
post #36 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
The rear and mid engine cars use 75% of the same parts. Weight and equipment are trivially different. They only come with leather interiors, plush carpets, insulated powered convertible tops, and lots and lots of sound deadening. I could drive my Boxster in comfort for hours without complaint, it was a really nice place to spend time. That, to me, is a GT.
So the Elises that came with carpeting, leather seats, and power windows are Gt cars too?
I think it takes more than that to be a GT car.
I guess we disagree on that small and perhaps trivial point.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!

post #37 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Less is Better

Quote:
So the Elises that came with carpeting, leather seats, and power windows are Gt cars too?
I think it takes more than that to be a GT car.
I guess we disagree on that small and perhaps trivial point.
OK, I'm wrong. Let's move on.
post #38 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I never said they weighed the same.
Well that's good because I never said you did. I simply said considering the large weight difference I am surprised that they felt so similar to you.
post #39 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus F1 View Post
Well that's good because I never said you did. I simply said considering the large weight difference I am surprised that they felt so similar to you.
The whole envelope of performance taken as a whole I should say.
Its late.
I dont write thesis statements on car boards and besides my secretary isnt here to do all my typing.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!

post #40 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
OK, I'm wrong. Let's move on.
Not necessarily, but I agree to move on.
Its a blurry line I guess.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in