Cayman GT4 - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 04:50 PM

This engine is the 9A1 in the Cayman it appears.
So no its not the newer 991 engine but the last 997.2's 3.8.
Essentially they are the same. Also, the engine makes at least 385 HP ( from porsche themselves).
I would expect this car to be sub 4 second to 60 and low 12's in the 1/4
My 997.2 4S is heavier but hits 60 in 4 seconds flat with PDK launch control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 07:53 PM

As Jethro says in the video, thankfully the GT4 has a manual gearbox. I wonder if any potential GT3 (only available with PDK) sales will go to the GT4 instead?

Andreas hints that more naturally aspirated GT models are on the way, so perhaps the NA&manual combo will continue on the Cayman platform instead of the 911.
post #43 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 09:28 PM

Just for the record the car would better with a pdk. Reserve judgment until you have driven a pdk car. Once you driven a pdk you will never want to drive a slush box or six speed on a track.

post #44 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 09:31 PM

I think this thing is a home run. Actually put my name down for one at the dealer but not sure what will come of it. Have been looking hard at ~09 997 turbos and ~09 R8s. Never thought I'd buy a new car but this might be the one. It doesn't make much sense to keep the Elise but don't think I'll be able to bring myself to sell it.
post #45 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
Just for the record the car would better with a pdk. Reserve judgment until you have driven a pdk car. Once you driven a pdk you will never want to drive a slush box or six speed on a track.
Haven't met the PDK I like yet, and I've driven quite a lot of them. Haven't driven the 991 GT3 though, and that one is supposed to be great.

Anyway even if a PDK is really good, I still prefer 6 speed. I like to drive the car, not have it driven.
post #46 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by road racer View Post
Haven't met the PDK I like yet, and I've driven quite a lot of them. Haven't driven the 991 GT3 though, and that one is supposed to be great.

Anyway even if a PDK is really good, I still prefer 6 speed. I like to drive the car, not have it driven.
There is no comparison between the PDK-S and the standard PDK. They are completely different and I'm happy the GT3 has the PDK-S. Personally I like the PDK-S more than the 6speed because I can still shift but my hands never leave the steering wheel. The shifts are also unbelievably fast and better than I could ever dream to shift.

Back on topic, the GT4 is cool. It's a great deal for a track car with a full warranty. The car also isn't 100k. It's 85k for the stripper, which will be very popular. However the GT4 isn't a 911 so who knows how it will do long term. Porsche fanatics are weird about their 911s.

2016 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (imminent!)
2012 Porsche Cayman R
2013 VW Golf R

Past
2015 Porsche 911 GT3, 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S, 2009 Ferrari Scuderia, 2011 Aston Martin Vantage S, 2008 Aston Martin Vantage Roadster, 2006 Noble M400, 2006 Lotus Elise
post #47 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 06:02 AM
Absolute power does what?

Quote:
Sorry but I couldn't disagree more here. I've driven all the various PDKs and while yes, they are *extremely* impressive and shift far faster than any human ever could in my opinion they aren't nearly as much fun on a track as a good old manual. Yes they rev match beautifully, shift incredibly quickly and you have perfect shifts every time. But for me much is lost, the connection to the car, the experience, the smiles. I've spent many years developing my heel-toe skills and enjoy very much using them.

Again for me it's about the experience - sure your PDK is going to be faster than my manual but in my opinion my smiles are going to be much bigger.

-Ross

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #48 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Less is Better

Quote:
I've driven a number of pdk cars, 997, 981, 991. I don't care for it at all. It's just an automatic that shifts very quickly.

Last edited by me73; 02-10-2015 at 07:54 AM.
post #49 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Haha, damn right

S240 Exige S with BOE FW300 + over 40 mods
post #50 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 06:54 AM
KCZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs986 View Post
I saw the Caymen and Boxster GT-4 at the Detroit auto show, yes they are nice cars but not worth $104k sticker price.

I have a 2002 base Boxster that I have owned for 3 years now. I only paid $9k for it, at that price the Boxster is a great deal but not $104k.
I'm not sure what you saw, maybe the Boxster/Cayman GTS because Porsche is not making a Boxster GT-4, and the Cayman GT-4 is getting its first showing at Geneva next month. The benchmark in its class: the Porsche Cayman GT4 If I was thinking about going the GT-4 route, at those prices, I'd find another $35K and buy a 911 Targa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
Porsches have always, always been expensive new all the way back to the beginning of the brand. The beauty of buying a used modern Porsche is the incredible depreciation. But new, the Boxsters/Caymans were always very expensive. My 2000 S was over $60k new. These cars drop in value at an impressive rate, especially the 97-07 cars with the M96/M97 engines and you end up with a screaming bargain on the used market if you can live with all the (mostly) little issues.

How much is the Evora S list?

The Cayman and Boxster have fantastic balance. 45/55 weight distribution and a relatively long wheelbase make them very forgiving and very easy to control. It's a great platform. I'm sure the GT4 will be a very fun car. But it's still not the car it could be with the non-GT engine, a slightly detuned version of the 911S even. They could have at least given it the 911GTS engine with 425HP.
Porsche has strategically positioned their models so they don't cut into each other's sales. They're not going to give a Cayman or Boxster 425hp and put it into 911 range.

As the owner of both an Evora and a 981 Boxster, I can tell you that while the Boxster does have outstanding handling, the Evora wins that particular comparison, period. As to price, there was only a $10K difference when I purchased them new, and it was worth it.

2011 Evora S 2+2 in Persian Blue with Oyster
2003 350Z, Track edition
2013 Boxster S 981
2014 Xterra, for 6 months of winter and mud season
post #51 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 07:01 AM

Garage
The current Cayman's low point is the steering feel. I read that the GT4 should steer better.

PDK or manual doesn't matter to me; both have their merits. After a while, I want the one I current don't have...

Past & Present:
2017 Jaguar XE R-Sport
2012 Aston Martin Rapide
2011 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Manual
2011 Lotus Evora - Aspen White
2005 Range Rover HSE
2007 Jaguar XK Coupe
2004 Jaguar XJ350 Vanden Plas
post #52 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
If I was thinking about going the GT-4 route, at those prices, I'd find another $35K and buy a 911 Targa.
Very different driving experience. I doubt many cross shop those two options.

Quote:
Porsche has strategically positioned their models so they don't cut into each other's sales.
What they've done is engineered a superior platform capable of dynamically outshining the traditional one. Driving a Cayman S and a non-S Carrera, this is clear to me.

Unfortunately for Porsche, they have a large clientele that is unwilling to consider anything but a rear engine car. Since the rear engine car is the one they know can provide more profit, it is the one that they put at the higher end of the market. This is a marketing decision, not an engineering one.

Is it wrong? Clearly not, it's working for them. But there is a better platform waiting to be fully exploited.

Quote:
They're not going to give a Cayman or Boxster 425hp and put it into 911 range.
Exactly, and that's the problem with the mid-engine Porsches

Quote:
As the owner of both an Evora and a 981 Boxster, I can tell you that while the Boxster does have outstanding handling, the Evora wins that particular comparison, period. As to price, there was only a $10K difference when I purchased them new, and it was worth it.
That's my point. The projected price of the GT-4 isn't expensive compared to it's competition.
post #53 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossL View Post
There is no comparison between the PDK-S and the standard PDK. They are completely different and I'm happy the GT3 has the PDK-S. Personally I like the PDK-S more than the 6speed because I can still shift but my hands never leave the steering wheel. The shifts are also unbelievably fast and better than I could ever dream to shift.

Back on topic, the GT4 is cool. It's a great deal for a track car with a full warranty. The car also isn't 100k. It's 85k for the stripper, which will be very popular. However the GT4 isn't a 911 so who knows how it will do long term. Porsche fanatics are weird about their 911s.
Sport steeringwheel is a must with paddles (its availible on every model BTW)
The PDK-S in the GT3 has shift points faster than a Ferrari 458 Italia.

Anyways the Cayman GT4 like all caymans will tank on resale because as you mentioned it is not a 911. This would concern me most about purchasing this car new....

911 people ONLY want 911's and nothing else.

Differn't strokes for differn't folks.
post #54 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 01:06 PM

I don't see these depreciating quickly at all. They may not appreciate as recent GT3s are doing. Guess it will really depend on how many they bring over.
post #55 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 01:32 PM

[QUOTE=KCZ;3839457]I'm not sure what you saw, maybe the Boxster/Cayman GTS because Porsche is not making a Boxster GT-4, and the Cayman GT-4 is getting its first showing at Geneva next month. The benchmark in its class: the Porsche Cayman GT4 If I was thinking about going the GT-4 route, at those prices, I'd find another $35K and buy a 911 Targa.

My Bad, You are right, I saw the Carrera 4 GTS/Boxster GTS/Caymen GTS and the Panamera GTS.

Boxster/Caymen GTS were $ 104k, I can't imagine what the price of the GT-4s
will be.
post #56 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 01:41 PM

As I mentioned before the Cayman GT4 is 85k base and you really don't need any of the options, especially if you want it as a track car. It's a GREAT deal in my opinion.

2012 Porsche Cayman R
2013 VW Golf R

Past
2015 Porsche 911 GT3, 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S, 2009 Ferrari Scuderia, 2011 Aston Martin Vantage S, 2008 Aston Martin Vantage Roadster, 2006 Noble M400, 2006 Lotus Elise
post #57 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Anyways the Cayman GT4 like all caymans will tank on resale because as you mentioned it is not a 911. This would concern me most about purchasing this car new....

911 people ONLY want 911's and nothing else.
cayman R has done very well on resale. I don't get your comment about 911. 911 owners aren't shopping for caymans. How does that affect resale? They were never in the market for it new and will never be in the market for it used. Just as 911 owners aren't corvette shopppers.
post #58 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewar View Post
I don't see these depreciating quickly at all. They may not appreciate as recent GT3s are doing. Guess it will really depend on how many they bring over.
Well if Porsche keep introducing a new version every 6 months, they will depreciate like any boxster/cayman.
If they stop here, they will hold their value well, just like the old Cayman R.

Here in Canada, the car is listed bone stock at $96.500
After taxes, no option, your wallet is $110.000 lighter.

That's F-Type R, slightly used R8 v10 or AMG GT territory. I dont like that idea that what was once the baby Porsche is now over 100 grand. Arent they supposed to release a 4cyl turbo at some point ?
post #59 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouch View Post
Well if Porsche keep introducing a new version every 6 months, they will depreciate like any boxster/cayman.
If they stop here, they will hold their value well, just like the old Cayman R.

Here in Canada, the car is listed bone stock at $96.500
After taxes, no option, your wallet is $110.000 lighter.

That's F-Type R, slightly used R8 v10 or AMG GT territory. I dont like that idea that what was once the baby Porsche is now over 100 grand. Arent they supposed to release a 4cyl turbo at some point ?
You use some funny math to make your numbers work. I don't know CA pricing but in the USA the base prices are;
  • Cayman GT4: 85k
  • Jaguar F-Type R: 100k
  • AMG GT S: 130k (The GT pricing hasn't been announced yet)
And comparing new car pricing to used car pricing is pointless. Using the real numbers, it's priced well below the cars you listed and is still a great deal for a weekend track toy with a warranty that's isn't voided with track use.

2012 Porsche Cayman R
2013 VW Golf R

Past
post #60 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossL View Post
You use some funny math to make your numbers work. I don't know CA pricing but in the USA the base prices are;
  • Cayman GT4: 85k
  • Jaguar F-Type R: 100k
  • AMG GT S: 130k (The GT pricing hasn't been announced yet)
And comparing new car pricing to used car pricing is pointless. Using the real numbers, it's priced well below the cars you listed and is still a great deal for a weekend track toy with a warranty that's isn't voided with track use.
No funny math needed here. Canadian prices, without taxe / after QC taxes
Cayman GT4 : 96.5k / 110k
Jag F-Type R : 100k / 114k
Lotus Evora S : 91k / 104k
AMG GT : I'll give you this one, pricing is not available yet.

And I'm not comparing new and used car pricing.
I have 100k on the table, and I'm just looking at all my options. And as of today, those 100k can get me a new 6 cylinder track oriented GT4, a stupidly loud new british v8, or a used german v10 in a german body or an italian body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in