Chrysler Crossfire - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Absolute power does what?

Fast driver + slow car = fast lap time
Slow driver + fast car = slow lap time

Fast driver + fast car =

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDad View Post
When one's ego is tied into choice of vehicle, such things tend to occur.
What "ego" could one possibly hang on a Chrysler product? Its like going to a Wrist Watch convention with a K-Mart Armitron and thinking you are going to "show up" the guys with Tag Heuers or Rolexes. Right.

Page 65, Section LD - what ya wanna know?
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
What "ego" could one possibly hang on a Chrysler product? Its like going to a Wrist Watch convention with a K-Mart Armitron and thinking you are going to "show up" the guys with Tag Heuers or Rolexes. Right.

Well, if you can stop rolling on the floor laughing long enough, you might realize that the Crossfire's only Chrysler part is the badge. The engine, chassis, suspension, transmission, suspension, electronics all Mercedes. Most of the interior parts were interchangeable with the previous generation SLK. The body was built in Germany under contract, I believe by Karmann. The whole car was assembled in Germany. So yes, it's technically a Chrysler.

But I guess you could call the Lotus a Proton

And your older esprit has more than a few bits in it from the old British Leyland parts bins, for example the interior door handles were used in just about every British Leyland car made in the 60's and 70's.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe

Last edited by 4380r; 05-09-2013 at 12:36 PM.

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Stilling doing God's work

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusforsale View Post

You can also call a Ferrari and Maserati a Fiat. Or a Porsche a Volkswagon. Or a Lamborghini a Audi (also a Volkswagon). You could also call a "Smart" car a Mercedes-Benz. Point being, it is all relative.

BTW, I love my Armitron watch... It's classic.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Well, if you can stop rolling on the floor laughing long enough, you might realize that the Crossfire's only Chrysler part is the badge. The engine, chassis, suspension, transmission, suspension, electronics all Mercedes. Most of the interior parts were interchangeable with the previous generation SLK. The body was built in Germany under contract, I believe by Karmann. The whole car was assembled in Germany. So yes, it's technically a Chrysler.

And your older esprit has more than a few bits in it from the old British Leyland parts bins, for example the interior door handles were used in just about every British Leyland car made in the 60's and 70's.

lol.

I remember some years ago a friend of my dad's was telling me how he was so sick of his Mercedes always being in the shop, high repair bills, their nonchalant attitude, etc.....He was a long time M/B owner several times over. He said he was done with M/B for good.....Anyway, I asked him what he wound up buying and he said he bought the Crossfire.
I kinda raised one eyebrow and tilted my head as I looked at him trying to decide if he was pulling my d!ck or what.
I still dont know if he knew a Crossfire is basically an M/B.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!

I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post

Or like us Lotus guys rocking our Tag Heuers and the 458 guys rocking their Chopards or Panerais.

Or the 458 Panerai guys showing up to Pebble Beach by the guy buying the '63 250GTO and rocking a Patek or a Richard Mille Tourbillion!

post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 04:03 AM

Quote:

Yeah, but.....

It wasn't badged as and sold as a Merc it was sold as a Chrysler.

Not judging that - just sayin'

And I don't see many of them, but when I do, it's usually women over the age of 50 driving them. Whatever that means.

That being said, I've always contended that the Crossfire would have been a BIG hit if they badged it an MB. Change the front clip/grill to look more the in SLK vibe and make it some sort of SLK variant they did with that C class hatchback thingie.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
Yeah, but.....

It wasn't badged as and sold as a Merc it was sold as a Chrysler.

Not judging that - just sayin'

And I don't see many of them, but when I do, it's usually women over the age of 50 driving them. Whatever that means.

That being said, I've always contended that the Crossfire would have been a BIG hit if they badged it an MB. Change the front clip/grill to look more the in SLK vibe and make it some sort of SLK variant they did with that C class hatchback thingie.
The badge, huh?

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
The badge, huh?
Reminds me of the old story where Lee Iaccoca was talking about the difference between a Mitsubishi Starion and Dodge Conquest. They were the same car with different badges and slightly different taillights, etc. Built in the same plant on the same production line by the same employees from the same parts. But the Japanese car was perceived by the public as a much better car: it sold for thousands more and was rated as more reliable, even though there was no difference. Except the badge.

Which car was more reliable? Toyota Corolla or Geo Prizm? Consumer Reports said the Toyota. Of course, they were the same car, built on the same production line, by the same people. Obviously, the vehicle with the Toyota badge is better! But Consumer Reports data comes from the public. It's self-reported. The public believes the Toyota is superior, the public believes Geo (GM) is junk, therefore it is. The badge was the most important part of the car as far as perceived value goes.

Perception is king. American car marques lost the perception war in the 70's and never got it back.

Years ago I had a Pontiac Grand Am. I bought it the same month as a co-worker bought his Toyota. The Pontiac got Consumer Report's lowest reliability rating, the Toyota among the highest. Every month, my co-worker had me pick him up at the dealer while he had them fix something. He never had to do the same for me. And he truly, honestly believed his car was more reliable than mine, even though the empirical data was obviously in my favor. He knew, like everybody knows, Toyota makes a better car. The Grand Am is junk, the Toyota is the best car available. It didn't matter that I could drive my car every day, every month, while his was in the shop at least a day a month. I was nuts to even suggest my car was more reliable than his. GM lost the propaganda war to Toyota and has never recovered.

I own a 1999 Chrysler 300M. I bought it new, had to special order it to get the equipment I wanted. It's by far the best all-around car I've owned and I can't imagine any other car I could have bought back then that would have been better. It's reliable, comfortable, and more economical than you'd believe. But it gets no love - "ew, it's a Chrysler!" I've put about 155,000 miles on it and it's never once left me stranded. It doesn't leak any fluids and I've only had to do one mechanical repair that's not regular maintenance as outlined in the manual. It'll do 145mph and handles quite well. (I say "She moves well for a fat chick"). I have big wheels and tires on her, as well as Eibach springs.

And I have had it on the track. I'll go out on a limb here and say it will outrun a Crossfire :-)
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunschev View Post
Reminds me of the old story where Lee Iaccoca was talking about the difference between a Mitsubishi Starion and Dodge Conquest. They were the same car with different badges and slightly different taillights, etc. Built in the same plant on the same production line by the same employees from the same parts. But the Japanese car was perceived by the public as a much better car: it sold for thousands more and was rated as more reliable, even though there was no difference. Except the badge.

Which car was more reliable? Toyota Corolla or Geo Prizm? Consumer Reports said the Toyota. Of course, they were the same car, built on the same production line, by the same people. Obviously, the vehicle with the Toyota badge is better! But Consumer Reports data comes from the public. It's self-reported. The public believes the Toyota is superior, the public believes Geo (GM) is junk, therefore it is. The badge was the most important part of the car as far as perceived value goes.

Perception is king. American car marques lost the perception war in the 70's and never got it back.

Years ago I had a Pontiac Grand Am. I bought it the same month as a co-worker bought his Toyota. The Pontiac got Consumer Report's lowest reliability rating, the Toyota among the highest. Every month, my co-worker had me pick him up at the dealer while he had them fix something. He never had to do the same for me. And he truly, honestly believed his car was more reliable than mine, even though the empirical data was obviously in my favor. He knew, like everybody knows, Toyota makes a better car. The Grand Am is junk, the Toyota is the best car available. It didn't matter that I could drive my car every day, every month, while his was in the shop at least a day a month. I was nuts to even suggest my car was more reliable than his. GM lost the propaganda war to Toyota and has never recovered.

I own a 1999 Chrysler 300M. I bought it new, had to special order it to get the equipment I wanted. It's by far the best all-around car I've owned and I can't imagine any other car I could have bought back then that would have been better. It's reliable, comfortable, and more economical than you'd believe. But it gets no love - "ew, it's a Chrysler!" I've put about 155,000 miles on it and it's never once left me stranded. It doesn't leak any fluids and I've only had to do one mechanical repair that's not regular maintenance as outlined in the manual. It'll do 145mph and handles quite well. (I say "She moves well for a fat chick"). I have big wheels and tires on her, as well as Eibach springs.

And I have had it on the track. I'll go out on a limb here and say it will outrun a Crossfire :-)
Are you an unsigned rapper or a storefront 'urban' pastor? Because that's who I see driving 300s.

Sorry man, had to do it!

Back to the Crossfire - Mike, yes, the badge. A Merc carries more panache than a Chrylser. If the Crossfire was badged a Merc it would carry more panache - that's the just the reality of it.

I think we are going to see this more often with the VW and Alfa models. A Cayenne carries more mojo than a Toureg. Basically same car.

And isn't that new Bentley SUV going to be on top of an Audi Q7?

Hell, a Navigator (the popular baller SUV in the early 00's) was a dressed up Expedition. Escalade is a dressed up Suburban.

And Lexus' best selling car - the ES - is a dressed up Camry. Lexus carries more panache than Camry.

Cmon man, you get that!
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 04:12 AM

you may be thinking of the 300C. The 300M i don't believe had quite the same following. it always reminded me of a concorde with a recessed back.

2007 CO Exige S
2005 LRG Elise (leaving soon)
2007 Suzuki GS500- (leaving soon)
2008 Buell XB9SX (leaving soon)
2005 Honda Accord - King of the road
post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 06:31 AM
Me!
6.94915254 lbs/hp

Quote:
Are you an unsigned rapper or a storefront 'urban' pastor? Because that's who I see driving 300s.

Sorry man, had to do it!

Back to the Crossfire - Mike, yes, the badge. A Merc carries more panache than a Chrylser. If the Crossfire was badged a Merc it would carry more panache - that's the just the reality of it.

I think we are going to see this more often with the VW and Alfa models. A Cayenne carries more mojo than a Toureg. Basically same car.

Hell, a Navigator (the popular baller SUV in the early 00's) was a dressed up Expedition. Escalade is a dressed up Suburban.

And Lexus' best selling car - the ES - is a dressed up Camry. Lexus carries more panache than Camry.

Cmon man, you get that!

No the biggest problem with the Crossfire was that when new, it was built on the OLD Mercedes SLK platform, not even the newest SLK at the time!

2007 Storm Titanium Exige S w/ sunvisor delete
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 08:43 AM

Jeremey Clarkson says the backend of the crossfire looks like a dog taking a dump :

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 08:58 AM

^^ those pics are actually pretty funny!

I always liked the look of the Crossfire. So, I bought a brand new 2005 Crossfire as a toy at the beginning of 2007. It wasn’t the piece of crap most think it was. Mine only went back to the shop once and that was for a recall. It wasn’t the fastest but it wasn’t a pig either and it actually handled pretty darn good. I de-badged it and I got almost as many “who makes that” as my Lotus.

Best part…I paid $22,000 for a brand new car that most people thought went for over $50k.
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 02:46 PM

"And all this was said behind my back."
Don't waste your time on dickheads.

2017 Evora 400 - Drop Dead RED
30,000 Km - 18,600 mi.
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:

Sorry man, had to do it!

Cmon man, you get that!
I am well aware of all the points you make, im not even disagreeing with you per se.
Just that its a crappy car because its a Chrysler but if you put a M/B emblem on it all of a sudden its a good car?
I recognized its a good car regardless of the emblem, you are kind of glamoured by emblems.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!

post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
I am well aware of all the points you make, im not even disagreeing with you per se.
Just that its a crappy car because its a Chrysler but if you put a M/B emblem on it all of a sudden its a good car?
I recognized its a good car regardless of the emblem, you are kind of glamoured by emblems.

On the contrary, it may very well be a great car. Just saying that the MB emblem carries more panache and as such, it would have been a better selling car if it had a) a more 'MB' like front clip, ala the SLK Kompressor and b) was badged MB. The Crossfire came and went without a wimper. At the time, my wife drove a Chrysler Pacifica which spent a TON of time in the shop (I even contacted an attorney for 'lemon law'). As such, being in that dealership in Elmhurst so much, I got to peruse a black Crossfire multiple times. Always thought it was a cool car and even then, thought it should have been a Benz.

BTW, the Pacifica lasted about 3 months with us before I launched it.

That's all.

I've had all manner of cars. For example, I had a BMW X5 which was just 'whatever' to me. Also, in college, I had a Honda CRX Si, which was probably one the best cars I've owned.

My wife drove a loaded Honda Odyssey minivan for the first 3 years of our twins' lives. Will no panache and a pedestrian boring car, it might be one of the best cars we've ever owned. Insanely reliable and ridiculously practical. Frankly, a minivan might be the most 'purpose built' vehicle around....even more so than the little plastic cars!
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Kitty View Post
Jeremey Clarkson says the backend of the crossfire looks like a dog taking a dump :

Wow, I do see it now.

But let's be honest, Clarkson hates all American cars. He calls all Americans 'fat', whilst sporting quite the beer belly himself!

Yes, there are some wonderful cars to come out of England, but many of their 'pedestrian' cars are anything but exciting. I'm I supposed to be excited about anything produced by Vauxhaul?
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Wow, I do see it now.

But let's be honest, Clarkson hates all American cars. He calls all Americans 'fat', whilst sporting quite the beer belly himself!

Yes, there are some wonderful cars to come out of England, but many of their 'pedestrian' cars are anything but exciting. I'm I supposed to be excited about anything produced by Vauxhaul?
Yes, hes very biased and at times he has outright lied or was misinformed about certain "facts" relating to certain vehicles to cast them in a negative light. (American vehicles)

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!

post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
On the contrary, it may very well be a great car. Just saying that the MB emblem carries more panache and as such, it would have been a better selling car if it had a) a more 'MB' like front clip, ala the SLK Kompressor and b) was badged MB. The Crossfire came and went without a wimper. At the time, my wife drove a Chrysler Pacifica which spent a TON of time in the shop (I even contacted an attorney for 'lemon law'). As such, being in that dealership in Elmhurst so much, I got to peruse a black Crossfire multiple times. Always thought it was a cool car and even then, thought it should have been a Benz.

BTW, the Pacifica lasted about 3 months with us before I launched it.

That's all.

I've had all manner of cars. For example, I had a BMW X5 which was just 'whatever' to me. Also, in college, I had a Honda CRX Si, which was probably one the best cars I've owned.

My wife drove a loaded Honda Odyssey minivan for the first 3 years of our twins' lives. Will no panache and a pedestrian boring car, it might be one of the best cars we've ever owned. Insanely reliable and ridiculously practical. Frankly, a minivan might be the most 'purpose built' vehicle around....even more so than the little plastic cars!
Well sure it would have sold better with an M/B badge, what wouldn't? (Given a certain price point)

The x5 is nice, the CRX isn't for me.
My wife also had an Odyssey and I would agree that it is a great vehicle. We had the factory nav in it so that was cool I guess. We loved that vehicle.

When the Crossfire came out Chrysler/Dodge was battling QC issues which didn't help them sell anything, let alone the crossfire. I contend their problem was mainly poor QC perception (or real), and lackluster marketing efforts.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in