Considering an Audi Q5 or Q3 as a DD, any advice? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Considering an Audi Q5 or Q3 as a DD, any advice?

Considering purchasing a pre-owned Audi Q5 or Q3. What do I need to know? Anyone own/have experience with these vehicles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 05:50 PM
tmr

We currently have a 2015 Q5 quattro 2.0T with Premium Plus as a loaner car until our new A4 gets here. This is a replacement for the 2013 A3 TDI we sold back to Audi, so it seems really big to us. That being said, it has a good ride, comfortable sport seats, and is not bad handling for what it is. My wife and I both still prefer a sedan, as we don't need an SUV or all wheel drive. I've driven BMW X1 and X3 loaner cars before, but the Q5 seems nicer inside. Mileage hasn't been too bad - low 20's in city/suburban driving - but figure high 20's on the road.

Overall, not a bad package, but just not our cup of tea. On the other hand, I've not heard much good about the Q3, which on paper doesn't get any better mileage than the Q5. It's basically a tarted up Tiguan from what I've read and is badly in need of a refresh.

'05 Lotus Elise (Arctic Silver) Sport, HT, Stage II, Odyssey PC925, Cup 240r Wheels
'11 BMW 335i (Alpine White) M-Sport, Premium, Heated Seats, HK, Ipod adaptor, 6 MT, Performance Power Kit - Euro Delivery 5/11/2011 - daily driver
'87 Nissan Pickup (Burgandy) King Cab, used for hauling stuff
'17 Audi A4 Ultra (Monsoon Gray) Premium Plus - Wife's car - Delivery 2/17
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 09:10 PM

We are on our second Q5 2.0T Premium Plus. Leased a 2012 and now leasing a 2015. Mostly my wifeís car and she does not want to drive a large SUV. She finds it easy to maneuver and sightlines are very good. Interior and exterior quality and fit and finish are very good. AWD system works well. Towing capacity is 4400 lbs, which is high for a 4 cylinder vehicle.

Canít really address long term reliability, but we had no problems with the 2012 and are having no problems with the 2015.

My only real complaint is with the navigation system. While it is relatively easy to use and to follow, I donít think the route algorithms are as good as my trusty old portable Garmin. Not an issue for shorter trips, but on long ones I double check the route before trusting that it is really going to be the fastest timewise.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Good to know, thanks guys!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 03:12 PM

Go ahead buy from those corrupt Germans

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 03:23 PM

The girlfriend recently bought a 2016 Q3 with ~20k miles. I often drive it when we go to the mountains for snowboarding and stuff like that.

The 3 things that I really don't like about it
1)no memory seat positions... She's 5'3" and I'm 6'2", sucks to switch drivers.
2)the transmission shifts extremely slowly
3)the brakes are definitely the worst of any car I have ever driven (and that is saying a lot)

The brakes will overheat and start feeling warped on one deceleration on the highway (going down the mountain in traffic). I can clean them up by lightly threshold braking just under the point where you feel the vibration begin, and then they will be fine for driving and stopping around town, but then the next moderate deceleration at higher speeds, and they will badly vibrate again, until cleaned again... Super frustrating.

The dealer said it has the normal Audi pads, but they feel like they are totally overheating and then fusing to the rotor.

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 02:12 AM

I have a diesel SQ5 and it is a sublime daily driver. I have done 96000kms in two years and it has only required a new reversing camera under warranty. Chipped and lowered does a 13 sec quarter can tow and handle. It feels like a Luxo cruiser compared to the Elise but for daily duty is excellent!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Very nice. I always thought the posh, elevated ride of a Q5 would be the perfect compliment to the Elise.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 02:02 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze91 View Post
I have a diesel SQ5 and it is a sublime daily driver. I have done 96000kms in two years and it has only required a new reversing camera under warranty. Chipped and lowered does a 13 sec quarter can tow and handle. It feels like a Luxo cruiser compared to the Elise but for daily duty is excellent!!

COUGH Can't see you thru all the smog you created.. I bet you belong to greenpeace, not!

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
COUGH Can't see you thru all the smog you created.. I bet you belong to greenpeace, not!

With a 3 ft long dpf and twin cats there is no soot and average fuel consumption of 8l/100kms it is way better than any petrol in terms of efficiency. And yes I am an environmentalist.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 06:23 AM

You do know they recalled those motors as well...???
I have found it amazing how we rag on American automobiles relentlessy yet this largest EVER corporate auto scandal is so quickly dismissed. So as an environmentalist you of all people should be outraged to find out your "clean" oil burner is some 400times dirtier than you thought!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in