Evora 400 vs M2 Comp vs Catherham 360R - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Evora 400 vs M2 Comp vs Catherham 360R

Couple big things happening next year and Im gonna reward myself with a car purchase. Will be finishing up my training for work and will be completely debt free around summer time. I have owned a few sportscars/coupes and have decided to step my game up a little more. Ive had a Factory Five Daytona Coupe, 2015 Mustang GT, fox bodies, Focus ST, Focus SVT etc. I love a car with a pure driving experience. This has me leaning toward a used Evora 400 or a Caterham 360R but the M2 Competition is sexy as hell too. This car will be a track car/ Tail of the Dragon slayer since I only live about 45min from there. How is maintenance on the Evora? I typically do all my own. How expensive are pads and rotors? Im 6'2" with a helmet on, can I get in and out of one?

As far as the Caterham goes I know what Im getting into there, 180hp go kart that you put on instead of get in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 02:11 PM

I think you first need to figure out how practical you want this car to be for your intended use. If it will only be a fair weather car that you are using to track or carve up mountain roads then I would go with the catherham all day long.

If you want to be able to drive the car to work on occasion and take it on dates without worry about the forecast then You're going to only be looking at the M2 and Evora. These 2 cars are in 2 different price brackets and there won't be many used examples of either available. I would test drive both and then determine which one you feel is worth the price to you.

Maintenance on the evora 400 is not bad if you can do basic stuff yourself but you will have to be somewhat tolerant of little niggles. My passenger airbag light is currently on, the seat bolsters are coming untucked again, and there are a few small rattles on the interior. None of this is a huge deal to me. The dealer will take care of it at my next visit. Other people may feel differently. OEM pads are about $250/axle. OEM rotors are insanely expensive at like $1500/piece but inokinetic just released some ultradisc replacements at $1250/pair for the front. The engine is a super understressed Toyota engine so it will be fine if not abused. The only scary maintence job is the clutch as it requires the rear clam to be removed and can be very pricey if a shop does it. The evora 400 has a new clutch assembly that should hopefully last longer but it's not proven yet.

The M2 comp is a mean car but it's very heavy for it's size and I find the ride on the original M2 (same suspension) to be fairly harsh. The interior isn't that nice but it's fast and fun to drive. It's not nearly as special of an experience as the evora because at the end of the day it's still a 2 series and you see them all over the place. No idea how reliable they are or how expensive to maintain but I can tell you that it's not track ready right off the showroom floor like the evora 400 will be.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

$1500 a piece HOLY SHi*. Thats gonna make track days expensive. Caterham is looking better and better.

I dont worry about weather, I'll carry a helmet with tear offs on it. Plus my wife doesnt ride in my fun cars with me, she scares easily.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 09:26 PM

FWIW...most get quite a few track days out of the stock Lotus rotors (including Evoras) before needing swaps. They tend to hold up very well to track use.

2016 AMG GT-S
2012 Caterham R400 (sold)
2010 Chrome Orange Evora (Sold )
2005 ST Elise (sold)
2002 MB G500 lifted etc.
2003 Cooper S (track)
we'll see what Lotus comes up with next...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictusmaneo View Post
FWIW...most get quite a few track days out of the stock Lotus rotors (including Evoras) before needing swaps. They tend to hold up very well to track use.
Ok, I know they are AP Racing brakes and they make top quality stuff but Im very hard on brakes. I know the Mustang is heavier but I ran through a set of Carbotech XP10s every other track weekend. That translates to rotors too. Still want an Evora but I also want a Caterham too....decisions decisions.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:40 PM

Brakes on an Evora are light years better than the Stang primarly because Evora is 70-900 lbs lighter. Drilled front won't last long. I have ~25-30 days on aset of rear solids and 15+ days on front girodiscs which are still solid.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:45 PM

Brakes on an Evora are light years better than the Stang primarily because Evora is 700-900 lbs lighter. Drilled fronts won't last long. I have ~25-30 days on a set of rear solids and 15+ days on front girodiscs which are still solid.

I have an S1 Evora S and run down a colleagues' M235i??R (one of those comp ones that sat on a dock for a while) all the time on straights btw. So even though I am faster than he is anyway, I kill him on long straights and he has complimented me on how quick it really is. 400 will be as quick and quicker.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 01:25 PM

If you have the opportunity to own a Caterham 7, you should do it. There’s time later in life for more practical cars.

Jon
2008 Elise S/C - Starlight Black
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBoost View Post
If you have the opportunity to own a Caterham 7, you should do it. There’s time later in life for more practical cars.
Thats kind of where Im at with it too. I daily my Focus ST, Im restoring a 55 Thunderbird for my wife and just got back from the drag strip in my 64 Fairlane. I have enough practical cars.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 11:07 PM
rnr

As someone who simultaneously owned a Seven, an Elise and an Evora S I agree with @MoBoost about the owning a Seven once in your life. It is the purest driving experience you will ever get but I suggest you ride/drive one before making a decision as they are not the easiest cars to live with. Its also much cheaper to buy second hand especially if the previous owner was mechanically handy enough to fix the niggles of a new car.

In my case the Seven started out as a street car and became more and more track focussed during my ownership. In the end I sold it after 6 years because I wasnt doing enough track days which meant the car barely moved. That said I plan on visiting Spa next year and will be renting a Caterham for that so I am definitely still a fan.

http://www.rahulnair.net/blog
06 Elise
16 Dodge Charger Hellcat
02 Dodge Viper GTS
13 Evora S IPS (sold)
02 WCM Ultralite (sold)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnr View Post
As someone who simultaneously owned a Seven, an Elise and an Evora S I agree with @MoBoost about the owning a Seven once in your life. It is the purest driving experience you will ever get but I suggest you ride/drive one before making a decision as they are not the easiest cars to live with. Its also much cheaper to buy second hand especially if the previous owner was mechanically handy enough to fix the niggles of a new car.

In my case the Seven started out as a street car and became more and more track focussed during my ownership. In the end I sold it after 6 years because I wasnt doing enough track days which meant the car barely moved. That said I plan on visiting Spa next year and will be renting a Caterham for that so I am definitely still a fan.
I try to do 3 track days a year and I hit the Tail of the Dragon, Skyway, Blue Ridge Pkwy multiple times a year. Ive had a car that was difficult to live with before, Factory Five Daytona Coupe. Hot in summer, cold in winter, every pebble on the road was felt etc so I know what thats all about. I hate to say it but it looks like the Evora is probably out at this point. Saw that JayEmm sold his due to lack of support from dealership and Lotus. I live 2.5hrs from the closest dealership so that could make it a royal PITA for me. I live 40min from 2 BMW dealers and I can work on a Caterham myself. Ive had plenty of cars with Zetecs and Duratecs in them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in