Ford Focus RS w/RS2 Package - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Ticket Magnet

Ford Focus RS w/RS2 Package

So does anyone have an opinion on this car?
I am looking for a four-door grocery-getter and have been looking at these for awhile.
I seem to have an opportunity to purchase one and I am wondering if I should pull the trigger. I would be paying over list, but horsepower costs money.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 01:48 PM
not your dad's puns

It has 2 doors too many for me, but if I were shopping, it would be on my short list.

because racecar
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 04:15 PM

Ooooo..... Ahhh....

The e39 touring would be my choice, either that or a diesel Jetta wagon.
Why have AWD when you could have RWD? Much cheaper too.
Either way though, the Focus RS is a serious performer and I'm sure you wouldn't regret it.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 04:28 PM
JWA

I have one on order. I've had a number of its Mitsubishi and Subaru competition as foul weather/winter cars over the years and really like the modern Fords, so I couldn't resist. I went with Nitrous Blue, RS2, forged wheels, and winter wheel package. It's currently scheduled to be built the first week of June.
ShadowWulf369 likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 04:42 PM

Good luck getting one... although it sounds like you're already willing to go over, so you might have better luck. I shopped for these and went Golf R after I was unable to see one in person, much less test drive - I won't buy a car I haven't driven first. Maybe I'll regret going for the Golf once I drive an RS, but so far I love it. Based on reviews it sounds like the Golf offers substantially refined looks and interior at the cost of some subjective handling feel and the ability to overdrive the rear wheels. For a grocery getter / commuter I'm OK without oversteer, and I'm sure when I do eventually take it to a track day it'll still be fun if not phenomenal. I have the Elise for that, anyway!

Anyway, just another option to consider...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 05:54 PM
Happy To Be Here

Garage
I've recently been in the market for a new daily driver. Living here in WI, winter sucks and I wanted a four door AWD car. Already, that limits the choices to a handful. I looked at new Evos and STIs, and I decided that the dated interiors weren't worth the asking price. Sure, the money went into the motor, but I wanted something nice to look at behind the wheel, too. I briefly looked at the RS and it looks to be a wild ride. It's too bad they're so limited and I'm hearing about people waiting for several months just to have the option to order one. While that's one cool hatchback, I decided to go with a 328i with xDrive. Sure it doesn't have the same performance or driving involvement as the RS, but it's high quality inside and out with room for more people than just myself. Also, looking at the price some dealers want for RSs, my 328i turns out to be cheaper. I'll always have my Evora for when I really want to have fun behind the wheel.

2013 Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
2016 BMW 328xi - Estoril Blue
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 06:30 PM
He's on fire!

I've got an ST and its been lots of fun. I'm not a new buyer, but will have my eye on used prices for RS in 3 years.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 07:03 PM

I've got an ST too and I've been very impressed with the Ford's build quality. It goes pretty good too...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 02:49 AM

I have an ST as well and am very happy with it. I think the Rs will be a great daily
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 10:21 AM
Puff Daddy

Speaking of over-hyped cars, I decided to go with the Tesla Model 3 for my new DD.

If it turns out to be a debacle (high likelihood) I'll end up with a Focus RS in Frozen white with the same wheels you chose

All of the dealers around here are being snotty about the RS so that turns me off. They are asking a minimum of +$10k market adjustment which I would never pay. First time they wouldn't even talk to me about it, second time I went down (with the Exige) they said: "$50k and it's yours".
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 10:27 AM

At 50k you are nearly into gt350 prices lol
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 02:02 PM

Except it seems GT350 mark ups are even worse, I want one bad but screw the dealer market increase bullcrap.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 08:02 PM
Puff Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ob917 View Post
Except it seems GT350 mark ups are even worse, I want one bad but screw the dealer market increase bullcrap.
Yep, there is a $50k market adjustment on the one here. $100k + TTL
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 11:18 AM

There were a couple in stock at dealers over here and of course they were asking $8-10k over sticker.

Lotus Esprit V8
Lotus Exige S240
Lotus Elise *gone to a new home*
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:49 PM

I picked one up 2 months ago and it has far exceeded my expectations ... below is a summary of my experience:

What I had before: Porsche Cayman

Reason why I chose the RS: A million times funner than the Cayman with more personality and character

The Good:
- Amazing handling - truly on par with the very best AWD systems in the world ... think baby GTR
- Fast in a straight line and on the track
- Awesome Recaro seats, most comfortable seats I've had to date
- It pops and gurgles ... need I say more
- Great brakes and exhaust note

The Bad:
- Ridiculous fuel tank size (only 450KM's out of a tank) and only ok fuel economy 10.1L/100km's
- Turbo lag, definitely needs a tune to wake up the car
- Seating position is a little high but provides good visibility

I also have a Golf R and people always ask me which one I prefer ... and it's the RS as it's simply a funner car that makes you want to go out and drive it.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
Zoomby_U
MotoGeek likes this.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:36 PM

Garage
My last car was the RS Mk2 (you didn't get it in the US).
The new RS cars are phenomenal. Totally different to the ST and worlds apart from the standard Focus.

On the new car you can lower the seats by adjusting the Recaro mount base holes front and back, which helps. I had to drill a couple of new lower holes in my last one, then I had all new custom rails made and installed race seats anyway.

A company called Revo Technic in the UK already so a tune that ups the car to about 370hp with no mods and is much smoother. I had my last one up to 420 with nil issues. As it's the same(ish) motor as the Ecoboost mustang, and there's already a company in the US with 900hp out of one, I'd be there will be plenty of options available. The only shortcoming for big power will be the transmission but a company called JW Racing in the UK is already selling uprated gear sets too.

So far, it's beaten all other hot hatches in comparison reviews, less those sponsored by VW. Even then, the bias is so evident it hurts.
With a mild tune, these cars will happily take out the AMG A Class hatch which is $100K plus.

I'm considering getting one but I can't help but think I'll get as carried away with it as I did with my last one, and my wife will kill me!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:58 PM
JWA

I've had mine now for a month or so and I'm very happy with it. It took a good 500 miles for it to really break in and the ECU to acclimate, but once it did it really woke up. It's very well built, fun, fast, and good at hauling groceries .
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 09:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
I've got an ST and its been lots of fun. I'm not a new buyer, but will have my eye on used prices for RS in 3 years.
Same sentiments here I think
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 01:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmcdemo View Post
Same sentiments here I think
Well decided to upgrade the ST

and here she is if I can post the pics correctly:

MotoGeek likes this.

2011 Lotus Elise R Ardent Red/Black
2013 Lotus Evora S Carbon Grey/Black (sold)
2010 Lotus Evora 2+2 / Arctic Silver/Charcoal (sold )
2016 Ford Focus RS / Frozen White
2015 Mini Countryman S / Cosmic Blue

Last edited by vmcdemo; 11-18-2016 at 01:12 PM. Reason: pics
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 07:20 AM

Focus RS

I have one for sell. I had planned to play with it for a while but after the shipment was delayed over 6 months I decided to let it go sooner rather than later.

https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/3292658?ad_cid=8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in