G2 NSX is selling in Lotus numbers - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:50 AM
not your dad's puns

Just to add my own data point...

I got to drive one of these at an Acura sponsored event, and I found it absolutely sublime. The acceleration was face melting, the handling was surgical. And the presence in person, is much more beautiful than pictures can do justice.

I can certainly see cross shopping this against a McLaren. I agree that there is more "prestige" with the 570, but that also means we can expect the Acura values to make them more within reach in a few years, at least hopefully, anyway.

As a long time JDM/sport compact/F&F guy, I love the GTR. It's just not beautiful enough to me.

I see Acura going after Porsche with the NSX, in fact the Acura event had quite a lot few Porsche drivers impressed, even making a sale as a result. And these are guys that get in line to drop a quarter million dollars for the chance to own a very impractical street legal race car. So I think a Honda chose their market carefully with this.

I think the problem is mostly timing. As others have said, sports car sales are not necessarily a growth segment

because racecar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopun View Post
I think the problem is mostly timing. As others have said, sports car sales are not necessarily a growth segment
The car is an answer to a question almost nobody is asking: "Where can I spend this much money on a Honda-built cachet sports car?"

The generalized trend remains the same - there seem to be two kinds of sports cars anymore. Both are in niche markets. You either have the cheap/entry level sports car like the MX5 and Toyota/Subaru 86 twins, or you go above $100k and are looking at a lot of cars. The only sports cars that leap immediately to mind in between those price points are the base Boxter, some Vettes, the 370z and the 4c. Of those, the Vette is the only one I see lots of newish examples of currently - I see a lot more Cayennes and Macans than recent Boxters.

There just aren't all that many people who want to spend over $100k on a toy they can't get full value out of on public roads "It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow," and there's a lot of competition in that market space. Somebody is going to lose, and the losers are going to be cars without lots of mind share in the market segment: Honda/Acura, Alfa-Romeo, and yes, Lotus. The cars that are doing well in that segment are brands and models that have consistent history over decades behind them.
brgelise and Turbopun like this.
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:12 AM

I have owned 3 first gen NSX, still have an NSX race car today. I have been active in the NSX community since 2003 when I bought my first one. I am still make lots of parts for the Gen 1 car, mostly track focused suspension, motor and interior parts. I wanted to hate the new NSX for all the reason many point out, too heavy, too complex, electric blah, not the first car...who wants it, etc.

I had a chance to track one last fall on Thunderhill, everything changed. The car is brilliant in every way, drives 'smaller' than it is, super easy to drive at 80% and feels so crisp. The weight is not an issue and the electrics are seamless, controls are well placed and easy to use. i am not a huge fan or modern electronic dashes, but this is no worse than any new car I have driven. All this on a car that is very easy to drive on the streets, quiet and filled with every creature comfort one can ask to in a Grand Touring machine.

I think folks miss the point, the new NSX is budget Porsche 918, not an overpriced (fill in the brand). The front torque vectoring is nothing short of amazing, the electric motor filling in for turbo lag is fabulous, the motor pulls well and sounds good. All this being said, is there a market for a $200K 'supercar'? In a world of superlatives where everything needs to be the most of what ever, is there room for a very well design and executed car, manufactured in the United States that is much more than the sum of the numbers? I think the market is saying NO. Acura is committed to the car as a marketing machine, they are putting $ into the GT effort with 2 teams racing these in national series, they won their class in a stock car(only changed tires, caged it) at SCCA national in 2018 as well as Pikes Peak hill climb. The new NSX is all about showing Honda's commitment to Acura as a performance brand.

Only time will tell if the new car can stand the test of time like the original...which was also panned at points during its 14 year production run.
Turbopun likes this.

2006 Elise with BOE 400 supercharger and some aero mods, CRF floating oversized rotors, MCS single adjust coil overs, CRF exhaust, CRF sway bar w/adjustable link, mono-ball pivots, machined steer arms, baffled oil pan, CRF titanium toe link brace, hardened motor mounts, Ethos wheels w/Yoko slicks

post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumdave View Post
Acura is committed to the car as a marketing machine, they are putting $ into the GT effort with 2 teams racing these in national series, they won their class in a stock car(only changed tires, caged it) at SCCA national in 2018 as well as Pikes Peak hill climb. The new NSX is all about showing Honda's commitment to Acura as a performance brand
This is an interesting point. If it were an American company, I'd assume that the weather vane would flop around in a year or two when the C level execs all changed chairs. That's why it took GM 40+ years to build a mid-engine Corvette - Pete Estes axed all of Ed Cole's pet programs when Cole retired).

But this is Honda. And while the founder has been dead for a good while and their last real sports car was the S2000, they are a Japanese manufacturer with very deep pockets. Japanese companies historically take what would be a suicidally long view for a publicly traded company in the US. It's not the 'decade long' attention span that it used to be, but an integrated plan spanning 5-10 years (as with Subaru's successful domination of WRC selling a whole lot of Imprezas) might very well happen.

Further, they have the example of the FairladyZ and the MX5 keeping sales up for decades just by being there. 'ZoomZoom' was lot more credible at a dealership that had a Miata on the lot, and decades of wins in SCCA track and solo events didn't hurt either.

If they stick with it for 5+ years and accept losses to keep the 'halo car' out there winning on the track, along with ponying up for some media product placement (how many Yellow Camaros were sold because of the first transformers movie?) they could very well make the car an image builder. The looks aren't terrible, but hopefully will be refined as time goes on. That'll help too.
Turbopun likes this.
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:32 AM

Titanium Dave pointed out some of the major flaws. It is highly dependent on electronannies (like the GTR) to be fast. Take away the vectoring etc.....to get pure sports car.. Now if they built it to be a GT car...different story.. would I be correct to say even the Evora is outselling it???
Varun916 likes this.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in