Introducing the new Supra, by Fischer-Price® - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 05:48 PM

Garage
We all expected something special. People delayed bying other cars to get one. We remember the original one.

I’ve not seen one yet, want to get behind the wheel. But it does seem to have fallen on its face.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:23 PM

Garage
Rare that a production car approaches the concept. That’s one thing that led us to pick up the LC 500

Name:  70E774A7-F153-4481-890B-07F146D13FDE.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  115.3 KB

Name:  3FFC48BF-EE4A-4C9A-B7F6-E41BB994DF42.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  95.9 KB
evomind and David Craig like this.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2016 370Z Nismo
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:21 PM

I just can't get over the fact it looks like they just copied several production cars (Rx-7, Z4, Infiniti G/Q trunk) and pieced this together. Then the performance specs and boring.......

Saw a comment about disappointing sales on the NSX. I had the chance to see one in person at a C&C event. Spent a good 30min looking it over and it just left me ho-hum. Tried to hard to be special, wasn't really impressive, too expensive, and the marketing on it was not sufficient. Hopefully they will try harder to make the Supra work.
Liftnot2 likes this.

2006 Lotus Exige: Avery Matte Graphite wrap, partial built motor (9:1 Mahle pistons, Ferrea Competition valves, ACT Clutch, ARP head studs), REV400, Nitron SAs, BOE QS exhaust, Ultradisc rotors, Moroso Oil pan, Circuitworks oil pump, CF Stuff (Cup Roof, ReVerie diffusor, side scoops, APR air dam, craftsquare mirrors), Worksbell quick release, Odyssey PC625, Morimoto Xenon HID, BOE Rear Oil Cooler, Difflow Aeroplates, BOE Swirl Pot, DaviesCraig EWP, Reversed Heater Matrix

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:42 PM
Liftnot

^ not to mention the new NSX is nearly 4000lbs. and the 3 E-motors are the same artechniture as the top line RLX sedan first came a few years ago but in reversed platform(obviously) with new s/w...its welded alum chassis and a V6 like the old NSX..thus, nothing special IMO.

the shape of the new Supra is like a mix of FT86 and RC350 & bulbous...Sad. The FT-1 is much better looking.
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:01 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
Rare that a production car approaches the concept. That’s one thing that led us to pick up the LC 500
It's an absolutely fabulous interior and exterior proportions give it a strong presence. It's a big car but has really nice styling in every way but I have to say, that slack jawed maw will never be attractive and ruins the rest of the car. Having said that, the LC500 is in a league above the new Supra for styling and three leagues above in the interior design.
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 10:10 PM

Garage
Concept cars meant to be concept. To live the look of the concept, the Supra should come with 500bhp, and such a car wouldn't cost in the 50k target price.
On the other hand I feel the 50-60k price point is a bit too much for the new Supra specs, and lack of clutch pedal won't attract the Supra buyers. For 60k you can get entry level F-Type which is more mature and better looking car, and probably in couple years you can get decked out Elise for less (and get a real Toyota motor with it).
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
It's an absolutely fabulous interior and exterior proportions give it a strong presence. It's a big car but has really nice styling in every way but I have to say, that slack jawed maw will never be attractive and ruins the rest of the car. Having said that, the LC500 is in a league above the new Supra for styling and three leagues above in the interior design.
Have to agree that the “maw” is one of history’s worst designs. It has been incorporated into the LC 500 the best of any Lexus, but it is a horror on most of them. Especially the SUVs. It’s almost as thought hey are showing off that people will buy a Lexus no matter how humorously horrible they can make them look.

In real life the maw looks better. Take a look at the new Astos Vantage and especially the DBS. Big front openings.

But regardless, point is that they have produced a production model that closely follows the concept.

2016 370Z Nismo
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:44 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Have to agree that the “maw” is one of history’s worst designs. It has been incorporated into the LC 500 the best of any Lexus, but it is a horror on most of them. Especially the SUVs. It’s almost as thought hey are showing off that people will buy a Lexus no matter how humorously horrible they can make them look.

In real life the maw looks better. Take a look at the new Astos Vantage and especially the DBS. Big front openings.

But regardless, point is that they have produced a production model that closely follows the concept.
I have been in the car. That's why I'm so impressed with the interior. It's got to be one of the nicest interiors for a luxury car that I've ever experienced.
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 12:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
I have been in the car. That's why I'm so impressed with the interior. It's got to be one of the nicest interiors for a luxury car that I've ever experienced.
They have done a rather brilliant job with it. Instead of the ipad style screen theirs is recessed into the dash where it can be seen better in brighter light. No touch screen, just a touch pad. Drives you nuts at first but can be mastered.

We came from the Bentley Continental, arguably the very best overall car on the road, so the interior was an interesting transition. Some features like the door handles are kinda similar in their solid feel, but that volume knob is the best out there, like a $10,000 amplifier.

Main thing is that the interior copies no one, is very original and well executed. What I hoped for in this Supra.
me73 likes this.

2016 370Z Nismo
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:50 PM

I'm surprised no-one has joked that this car is an amalgamation of BMW reliability and Toyota styling.

To be fair, even the original Supra turbos weren't all that amazing stock (and they are pretty heavy) - it was really the aftermarket (and "you owe me a 10-second car") that made them popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb26dett View Post
Funny. My friend and I were discussing this car last night. We grew up in the golden era of Japanese sports cars during the early 90’s to late 90’s and we both were disappointed to say the least about this car. They ruined the “Supra” name. So sad.
Unfortunately we don't have the benefit of a Japanese bubble economy (and the make-it-rain-at-the-club engineering spending) that yielded the 90s Japanese sports cars. Now that all the attention is on SUVs and crossovers, I really doubt we'll see anything like it in our lifetimes.
Liftnot2 and me73 like this.

Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 06:51 PM

Garage

With a different front bumper, and a little lower i think it isn't bad.
post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:11 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray View Post
I'm surprised no-one has joked that this car is an amalgamation of BMW reliability and Toyota styling.
That's great

Quote:
To be fair, even the original Supra turbos weren't all that amazing stock (and they are pretty heavy) - it was really the aftermarket (and "you owe me a 10-second car") that made them popular.
They were impressive for the time. It's hard to look at 0-60 in 5 seconds as impressive from today's perspective, but in the day, this was 911 turbo territory. It also pulled about 1g on the skidpad, which was amazing at the time.

I personally wasn't interested, too big and heavy. I'm more of an FD and M2 MR2 fan, but when the Supra came out, it was impressive.

People don't realize, but the Supra was never really a sports car. It started out as a stretched, pumped up, and optioned out Celica and they just got heavier and heavier. It wasn't until the 4th gen that they set out to make a sporting car (it was actually delayed a couple years because the original 4th gen was not going to be compeditive with the Z, 3000GT, and Rx-7) but it was always a GT.

Quote:
Unfortunately we don't have the benefit of a Japanese bubble economy (and the make-it-rain-at-the-club engineering spending) that yielded the 90s Japanese sports cars. Now that all the attention is on SUVs and crossovers, I really doubt we'll see anything like it in our lifetimes.
It doesn't take a big budget to make a car good looking. Everyone has to overstyle their cars these days. It's a shame.

Last edited by me73; 01-18-2019 at 08:24 PM.
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:12 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Murrell View Post

With a different front bumper, and a little lower i think it isn't bad.
The good looking part in the picture are the parts from the older car.
rb26dett likes this.
post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 09:21 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:

They were impressive for the time. It's hard to look at 0-60 in 5 seconds as impressive from today's perspective, but in the day, this was 911 turbo territory. It also pulled about 1g on the skidpad, which was amazing at the time.
I was in Japan when it (4th Gen) came out and the magazine reviews were very flattering. I don't remember seeing them much in Japan. Most of the modified cars I saw were the Hachi Roku, the Skyline and the Soarer (I had a first generation 2.0 for a short time).

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 07:46 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
I was in Japan when it (4th Gen) came out and the magazine reviews were very flattering. I don't remember seeing them much in Japan. Most of the modified cars I saw were the Hachi Roku, the Skyline and the Soarer (I had a first generation 2.0 for a short time).

San
3rd gen Soarer=SC300/400=Supra in a tux
lt1_fd3s likes this.
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 01:11 AM
Back to the Future, again

I didn't like the FF1 concept and I like the Supra even less. The front looks like a crushed blobfish and a nautilus had a love child. The rear looks like they can't decide if they wanted to copy the 65 Daytona Coupe or the 2nd gen Z4 so they took both and botched it up with a putty knife.

Then they have a detuned V6... with no manual, all for $53k plus the mandatory $10k dealer markeup for the first year. Why bother?
me73 and Varun916 like this.

My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
It doesn't take a big budget to make a car good looking. Everyone has to overstyle their cars these days. It's a shame.
My argument isn't really about styling though - it's that the (presumably) copious amount of money that was supplied to the engineering teams at the companies that produced the JDM legends is what produced their capability (e.g. 2JZs that can handle 800hp on stock internals, RB26DETTs that can do 1200hp, etc.).

I was able to drop by the 2019 NAIAS to take a look at the new Supra in person and took a few photos. I'm still not sure how I feel about it - Toyota's product reps were pretty adamant that this was the right car for their target market (e.g. not the 20-year-olds who complain loudly on the internet but are unlikely to have the financial ability to buy the car). I can't help but be a little surprised by how narrow the body looks - it really doesn't inspire that "wow this thing is wide like a race car" reaction. I am also more than a little surprised by how pedestrian the brakes look on what is supposed to be a relatively high-dollar sports car. For like $60k, should they have something that looks better than painted-over sedan calipers?

3carmonte likes this.

Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I am also more than a little surprised by how pedestrian the brakes look on what is supposed to be a relatively high-dollar sports car. For like $60k, should they have something that looks better than painted-over sedan calipers?
The picture you show has a fixed caliper with opposed pistons and a cross feed pipe. Not a sliding pin caliper you would typically find on the majority of vehicles. What type of caliper are you looking for? Or are you looking for drilled/slotted rotors?

I am more disappointed every time I see this car. I wonder what their sales targets are. I doubt they will hit them.
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 08:15 AM
`08 Elise-SC-220

James May likes this car. I wonder why?

Shhh...Secret Squirrel
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 07:48 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
They have done a rather brilliant job with it. Instead of the ipad style screen theirs is recessed into the dash where it can be seen better in brighter light. No touch screen, just a touch pad. Drives you nuts at first but can be mastered.

We came from the Bentley Continental, arguably the very best overall car on the road, so the interior was an interesting transition. Some features like the door handles are kinda similar in their solid feel, but that volume knob is the best out there, like a $10,000 amplifier.

Main thing is that the interior copies no one, is very original and well executed. What I hoped for in this Supra.
I just watched a review on the car. Is there really no way to change the radio station once the car is moving? That would be ridiculous if true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in