Introducing the new Supra, by Fischer-Price® - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 08:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
I just watched a review on the car. Is there really no way to change the radio station once the car is moving? That would be ridiculous if true.
It’s quite easy. Probably can be done by voice but I have not got that far into the feature, only driven 600 miles so far.

Basic manual controls just forward of the very nice volume knob. It’s as solid as I have ever felt on even a high end sound system. But there are two knurled rolling swithches that work to change stations on radio as well as satellite.

I think there are some on the steering wheel too.

The touch pad is a bit more “touchy” to operate, but it can be done to change whatever, search, adjust sound position and basic equalizer. While moving!

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 08:17 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
It’s quite easy. Probably can be done by voice but I have not got that far into the feature, only driven 600 miles so far.

Basic manual controls just forward of the very nice volume knob. It’s as solid as I have ever felt on even a high end sound system. But there are two knurled rolling swithches that work to change stations on radio as well as satellite.

I think there are some on the steering wheel too.

The touch pad is a bit more “touchy” to operate, but it can be done to change whatever, search, adjust sound position and basic equalizer. While moving!
Well, another strike against Jason Commisa.
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:36 PM

Garage
The center console control area

Name:  C65AEB10-468C-4ACE-B969-3FFE9F259440.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  46.2 KB

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 11:06 AM
Less is Better

I found this to be a really fascinating video from a manufacturer design standpoint. Basically, Toyota sees BMW's design process as front analysis heavy and validation light. This explains, to me at least, why Japanese cars are great in the long term and German cars always seem to have some fundamental weakness that only shows up over time. It's likely that the new engine in the Supra and Z4 (and M3/4) will be the most reliable BMW engine in the line up thanks to Toyota!

post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedR View Post
The picture you show has a fixed caliper with opposed pistons and a cross feed pipe. Not a sliding pin caliper you would typically find on the majority of vehicles. What type of caliper are you looking for?
It just looks so ... plain. Ever see M2 brakes (about the same money)? They all have M2 badging on them. These are just painted red, like what you would get if you painted a Camry's rotors in your garage.

Quote:
It's likely that the new engine in the Supra and Z4 (and M3/4) will be the most reliable BMW engine in the line up thanks to Toyota!
It's also detuned like 50hp from the Z4 version, so that probably counts for something.

Drives a Prius (clearly knows nothing about cars).

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
I found this to be a really fascinating video from a manufacturer design standpoint. Basically, Toyota sees BMW's design process as front analysis heavy and validation light. This explains, to me at least, why Japanese cars are great in the long term and German cars always seem to have some fundamental weakness that only shows up over time.
Having had Toyotas in my life off and on since 1979 and having worked on a lot of German cars over the years, the differences are in some ways very stark.

Toyota began as the brand that Toyoda Automatic Loom Works, Ltd sold cars under. Toyoda looms were, and still are (my undergrad degree is actually in textiles), known for being consistently reliable and economical over a decades-long service life.

It's not surprising that an industrial equipment manufacturing company would focus on building stout, reliable cars. Their early adoption of Deming's quality management philosophy pushed them further along the path to building what we now associate with Toyotas.

It was always a difficult fit with performance, though - not quite opposite to the Colin Chapman philosophy, but there's a long, long list of unkillable Toyota engines with inferior specific output to contemporary Honda or BMW engines for example - I have one in my '92 Celica (S engine), had another in a '94 Corolla (A engine), and another in the '76 Land Cruiser (F engine). They're not sprightly, but they won't leave you by the side of the road unless you really, really deserve it.

That durability also often means there's some tuning reserve in there, if you're clever enough to get it out.

All of that said, if you've ever read this article, you'll know why I was never seduced by an M car. Lovely to own...until the warranty ran out. See also the S class Audis, which also manage to cause me to wonder 'what were they thinking?' sometimes.

I would not be surprised at all to find out that the Toyota derate relative to the BMW variant is specifically because that's the magic number for 300,000 KM reliability. That's the Toyota way, whether it's a limited production super GT or a pickup truck.

Besides, they know that the tuners who are willing to will happily get that 50 BHP, and probably a good bit more back the instant the car touches pavement anyway.
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:58 AM
glb

Here's How Our 2020 Toyota Supra Test Numbers Compare to the 1993 Supra Turbo's

We strapped our test gear to the all-new Supra to find out how it compares to the iconic fourth-gen model.

The new Toyota Supra is undoubtedly one of the most anticipated cars of this decade—and the decade before, honestly—and this week we were finally able to see if it lives up to the hype during the first-drive event at the Summit Point Motorsports Park track in West Virginia. Spoiler alert: It does. The new Supra is the kind of sports car we were hoping it would be, and it's the best driver's car the brand has ever made.

We didn't want to just stop there, though, so we brought a Supra back to our Ann Arbor, Michigan, office to subject it to our full instrumented testing. And because we know our audience (and because we were interested, too), we decided to compare the new A90 Supra's numbers to those of a Supra Turbo that we tested in 1993, the first year of the fourth-generation A80 model. We won't make any judgments about which car is actually better without driving them back to back, but you'd all be armchair racing with these numbers anyway, right?

Specs

But before we get to the test numbers, we're gonna drone on about specs for a minute. The 2020 Supra bucks the modern trend of every new generation of a car being bigger and heavier than the last. At 172.5 inches long, the new Supra is 5.2 inches shorter than the fourth-gen car and its 97.2-inch wheelbase is 3.2 inches shorter; the new one also is 1.7 inches wider and 0.7 inch taller. The new Supra has the old one beat in terms of weight, too. That 1993 Turbo was 3480 pounds, while the new car weighed in at 3372 pounds—a 108-pound difference. The Mark IV Supra was a two-plus-two, with a small set of seats behind the driver and passenger, but the new Supra is strictly a two-seater; they both have a 10-cubic-foot cargo area accessed by a hatchback.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
Both Supras are rear-wheel drive and use 3.0-liter inline-six engines fed by forced induction, but that's where the similarities start to end. As it was developed in partnership with BMW, the new Supra uses a BMW-sourced six with a single turbo, mated only to an eight-speed automatic transmission. The fourth-gen Supra Turbo had a Toyota-developed twin-turbo six that could be paired either with a six-speed manual or a four-speed automatic. (Base models used a naturally aspirated version of the six with a five-speed manual or four-speed auto.) Actual horsepower and torque numbers haven't changed much in the two-and-a-half decades between generations, with the 1993 car making 320 horsepower and 315 lb-ft and the 2020 model producing 335 horsepower and 365 lb-ft.

Performance

Okay, now we'll get to what you really care about. In its day, the Mark IV Supra was quick as hell. The manual-equipped Turbo model that we tested in 1993 hit 60 mph in 4.6 seconds and went through the quarter-mile in 13.1 seconds at 109 mph. In a 1993 six-car comparison test, which it won, we described the Supra Turbo as "a rocket car" that pulled like a train. The 2020 Supra destroys the old car, though, with a 3.8-second zero-to-60-mph time and a quarter-mile dispatched in 12.3 seconds at 113 mph. The A80's 11.1-second zero-to-100-mph and 19.9-second zero-to-130 runs were similarly beaten; the new car posted times of 9.5 seconds to 100 mph and 17.4 seconds to 130.

The new Supra is also way quicker in passing times, but that's to be expected given the transmission differences. The A90's 5-to-60-mph rolling start time of 4.6 seconds is 1.3 seconds quicker than the A80's, but the real improvement comes in the 30-to-50 and 50-to-70 acceleration runs, which are started in top gear (most automatics will downshift, while manual cars remain in top gear). At 2.5 seconds from 30 to 50 mph and 2.8 seconds from 50 to 70 mph, the new Supra crushes the old car, which recorded times of 13.1 seconds and 8.1 seconds, respectively, in the same tests.

There is one category where the Mark IV should have the new car beat: top speed. Toyota says the new Supra is limited to 155 mph, while the 1993 car was able to hit 160 mph in our hands. But in our testing, the new car exceeded the limiter, still pulling past the 160 mark. We estimate its real top speed to be around 162 mph.

Grip has greatly improved, too. The A80 Turbo had 17-inch wheels wrapped in Bridgestone Potenza RE020 tires, sized 235/45 in front and 255/40 in the rear, while the A90 uses 19-inch wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, sized 255/35 in front and 275/35 in back. On our skidpad, the old car pulled 0.95 g, which was in the realm of (or better than) many higher-end sports cars at the time. But in the new car we recorded an excellent 1.07 g, nearly matching a Porsche 911 GT3.

The new Supra also has bigger brakes, using 13.7-inch vented discs in front and 13.6-inch vented discs in the rear, 1.0 inch and 0.8 inch larger than the old car (which also had vented discs). With a 160-foot stopping distance from 70 mph, the 1993 Supra would still be respectable today. But the 2020 Supra stopped in 148 feet, again putting it in the league of more hard-core modern machinery.

So that's how the two Supras compare on paper, at least in numbers. Sure, it might not be surprising that the new one is better in basically every measurable way—but it kind of had to be, right? Supra fans aren't exactly tame and easy to please.

There are two obvious ways the fourth-gen car is better in our eyes, though: It had that massive optional wing and an optional targa roof. The new Supra doesn't have either of those things. So we guess it's a tie, then.
----

Not near a tie, of course.

When I removed the roof panel, the car flexed a remarkable amount. I just left it in after that, even on the highway.

We gained ~100 hp with aquarium supplies. Good story if you want to know....

---------
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-test-numbers/
TachItUp likes this.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:11 PM
glb

Holy Crappola

The 2020 Toyota Supra Makes More Power Than Toyota Claims

Dyno pulls reveal that the Supra's BMW-sourced turbo-six overdelivers on its power rating.

• Results of our recent test of the 2020 Toyota Supra were impressive, but now we've determined that the new fifth-gen Supra is even more powerful than advertised.
  • We found something similar in testing the BMW M5 Competition, which got us thinking.
  • We found that the Supra puts down 339 horsepower and 427 lb-ft of torque at the wheels, which helps to explain its impressive accelerative ability.

Usually when we catch an automaker fibbing, it doesn't bode well for the company. But for the second time in a month, Car and Driver has discovered that a manufacturer is understating the power delivered by one of its hottest cars.

In our recent test, the 2020 Toyota Supra hurried from zero to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds and crushed the quarter-mile in 12.3 seconds at 113 mph. The fact that it outperforms more powerful coupes such as the BMW M2 Competition and nudges into the BMW M4's territory got us thinking: Might the Supra's BMW-sourced turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six be underrated in a similar way to the twin-turbo V-8 in the BMW M5 Competition, which just tried to spin the wheels off the dyno?

After lashing down Toyota’s new sports car, we discovered that, even with the power-sapping driveline losses of its transmission and rear axle, the Supra puts down 339 horsepower and 427 lb-ft of torque at the wheels. That’s slightly better than the 335 horses Toyota said the car would produce at the crank and a considerable jump from the 365 lb-ft the company promised. While modern drivetrains have become highly efficient at transferring power, the extra power that the Supra is putting to the ground helps explain its impressive accelerative ability.

For our test, we headed to Livernois Motorsports and Engineering in Dearborn Heights, Michigan. We strapped the Supra to the Dynojet all-wheel-drive dynamometer, as the car's stability systems only play nice when all four wheels are spinning. For this observation, we ran the test in the eight-speed automatic transmission's fifth-gear ratio of 1.32:1 to achieve a full sweep of the tachometer. We experimented with the 1.00:1 ratio of sixth gear but were unable to reach the engine's redline. The power output in sixth gear, however, matched our results of those in the higher gear.

Reviewing the results, we think there's a chance the peak torque output may be slightly inflated, as the transmission's torque converter likely isn’t fully locked until higher in the rev range. Nevertheless, this engine produces more thrust than advertised, which further explains the Supra's rousing acceleration.

Video too @
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...no-horsepower/

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:58 AM

Saw the new Z4 in person and think it looks a lot better than the previous generation!! I actually looked twice!!

BMW has been padding their numbers for years to make them look like they are more efficient at putting the power down...fact is I've seen many 25-50hp underrated BMW motors. An interesting reverse take on German superior engineering.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:27 AM

I saw one of the new GR Supras in Charlotte at the Toyota booth before the All-Star race... and well, after seeing the smaller size, I can say I don't hate it as much as I did... and actually kinda like it after seeing it in person

WNC Tour Guide - WNC Drives (click me!)
'93 Vintage Red RX-7 - NA 20B
'06 Chili Red Exige - RIP 2017.12.01
'06 Ardent Red Exige Katana2 - try this again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in