Itch for ULTIMA GTR - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Itch for ULTIMA GTR

oh man am I screwed...

I took a friend to see a FS Lotus Exige S. The owner has a factory built ULTIMA GTR...

Welp... you guessed it! Now I have the itch for one of those.

Just like my quest and lurking prior to buying my Exige S, I did a ton of obsessing for over a year or so. Thus begins my obsessing stage for one of these.

I would appreciate any and all links and information anyone might have.

I am having to slow burn the desire so I guess it may be a year or two from now before I pull the trigger. I am not selling my Exige to make this happen so I will have to wait.

L O T U S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 12:57 PM

Building one is anywhere from $75k-$120+, depending on powertrain.

Used go anywhere from $60k-$120k, again, depending on powertrain.

They aren't the most attractive looking cars, but they sure do scoot. They aren't for the faint of heart, and demand a lot of respect as you'll quickly find yourself in a hedge. No ABS, Traction Control, or Airbags makes it a car for someone who can drive or for someone who doesn't feel the need to show off ever.

Ultima specific parts will be difficult to source, while the powertrain stuff will be pretty easy.

Registration will be as an assembled/kit car basis. If people in your county/state have done it before, you'll have better luck. If they haven't, prepare for a long, annoying, process.
Insurance is easy, Grundy / Hagerty is your answer.

Source: owning a car very similar to the Ultima, as well as wanting to step up to one in the future.
Motard likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I really took my time looking it over. It very much reminds of a next level Exige. More power, less weight. no assisted anything, no nonsense interior. no visibility.

I can see how some would say not the prettiest, but they remind me of a modern era Pantera. In person I think anyone would be hard pressed to say they are not gorgeous to behold.

It's kind of funny, but it made the Exige S right next to it look like a child's toy. Seeing it taken out of the garage and driven is the same feeling you get when seeing a Exige S on the road. It looks like it does not at all belong on the street.

Again it just struck me as the next level Exige. Kind of like I have always felt that the Elise looks like the next level Mr2 or maybe next generation Mr2 that was never built.

I can certain see how you better have good throttle control and not drive like an asshat...

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 01:43 PM

Garage
HondaCRX said it first, and nicer than I was going to... "They aren't the most attactive..."

It's basically a kit car, so I will pit it against a similar American kit car: the Factory Five GTM. I admit that I lust after the FF GTM, full disclosure there. So just a basic comparison:
They are quite similar in layout and recommended drive train.
They are similar in weight, with a slight nod to the GTR, but from what I've seen, finished cars are within 100 pounds of each other.
The GTM styling is not fugly.
The GTM should be less expensive to build.

In conclusion:

DonTano likes this.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:02 PM
`08 Elise-SC-220

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I honestly think the ULTIMA is prettier. I guess no accounting for taste...

I am attracted to the no nonsense racecar styling. Although that low profile coupe look to the FF GTM is pretty sweet, I think the front end looks like a Z28

L O T U S
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 05:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3carmonte View Post
The Ultima Evolution > GTR > Sport traces back to 1983. The performance has kept up with the times, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard View Post
I honestly think the ULTIMA is prettier. I guess no accounting for taste...

I am attracted to the no nonsense racecar styling. Although that low profile coupe look to the FF GTM is pretty sweet, I think the front end looks like a Z28
Well, your profile pic is a fat Elvis impersonator sportin' some serious moose knuckle, so, yeah, no accounting for taste! :P

4th gen Camaro?
Motard likes this.

Last edited by Parko; 11-29-2017 at 06:01 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 07:46 PM

This brings back memories.. I bought my Exige December 2015 and spent the prior year (or more) obsessing and debating whether I was building a Superlite SL-C (first choice), Ultima (second choice), or buying an Exige.

If you haven't already check out the SL-C. IMO it's better looking at a minimum, the big ass wing is optional and they have bigger

Keep in mind they're both really track cars. Not sure they would be good at AutoX or other non-track events.
Attached Images

2006 Lotus Exige: Avery Matte Graphite wrap, partial built motor (9:1 Mahle pistons, Ferrea Competition valves, ACT Clutch, ARP head studs), REV400, Nitron SAs, BOE QS exhaust, Ultradisc rotors, Moroso Oil pan, Circuitworks oil pump, CF Stuff (Cup Roof, ReVerie diffusor, side scoops, APR air dam, craftsquare mirrors), Worksbell quick release, Odyssey PC625, Morimoto Xenon HID, BOE Rear Oil Cooler, Difflow Aeroplates, BOE Swirl Pot, DaviesCraig EWP, Reversed Heater Matrix
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 08:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwehnes View Post
This brings back memories.. I bought my Exige December 2015 and spent the prior year (or more) obsessing and debating whether I was building a Superlite SL-C (first choice), Ultima (second choice), or buying an Exige.

If you haven't already check out the SL-C. IMO it's better looking at a minimum, the big ass wing is optional and they have bigger

Keep in mind they're both really track cars. Not sure they would be good at AutoX or other non-track events.

I was just about to reply and suggest looking at the SLC. I saw one at a cars and coffee once and was blown away. I thought it looks stunning and was similar in spirit to the Ultima.

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 09:18 AM
cph

Garage
I have looked closely at the the Ultima and done a couple of in-depth spreadsheets to try and nail down a build cost ...based on a full race build it was north of $200K ... appreciate it can be built for a lot less but I would tread carefully as it will cost more than you think , especially if you are trying to match the handling of Lotus !!

Styling is not to everyones taste and invariably I think that was what put me off ...it just doesn't look right. More of the old school endurance race cars look.
Ultima should upgrade the bodywork to come inline with current thinking ... such as the Superlite.

2-11 : BOE Built Engine / Rev 400 SC / Quaife Sequential / Dry Sump / Fastworks Tune SOLD
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...roject-339234/

ELISE : K20 / TVS 1320 / EP sequential / Dry Sumped / Motec M1

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...ealand-439105/

JUNO SSE K20 NA
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 10:34 AM

Garage
Here was the SLC that I saw in person. Rear wing is a little much IMHO.

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 12:24 PM

Check out the Elan NP01. Another kit car option. Think it can be finished for less than $80K and is designed for NASA racing. Not a street car though. Uses a Mazda engine and sequential gearbox and parts from other off the shelf applications. If you build it your self they're upper $60s. Not bad for a race car. Also designed to be cheap to race. Kind of a an average Joe's race car.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/el...ar-review/amp/
Attached Images

acslater likes this.

Last edited by Rizzydee; 11-30-2017 at 12:39 PM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 01:26 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiarov View Post
Here was the SLC that I saw in person. Rear wing is a little much IMHO.

I don't get it. What do you mean the wing is a little much?

Last edited by David Craig; 11-30-2017 at 01:28 PM. Reason: clarify
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 01:54 PM

Factory Five cars are pretty mediocre, in terms of quality, fit and finish, and things that make kit cars feel like kit cars. An Elise will feel like a Lexus after driving a Factory Five kit car.

SLC is suppose to be a bit better, but I can't validate the claims, as I have yet to see one in person -- and they are pushing into Ultima territory, in terms of costs.

But, if you like building legos, you can't go wrong with any of those choices.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Those are all hotwheels ,but I think cph hit it on the head with looks. It does have that old school endurance race car look, I guess that is why I am drawn to it.

It almost has one of those old school porsche air and oil cooled racecar motif going. I think it looks hot with the red/ white color scheme.

I am really shocked to hear the north of 200k sticker... I am not planning on building my own. I will just buy one outright. I'm sure I will have to do my research and have my ducks in a row to capitalize on the opportunity if and when the time comes up.

From what I gather it is better to grab a factory build rather than a personal build. Of course the option / potential to grab something really fly could exist, it is equally possible to get a fright pig that was built to craptacular standards even though on paper the powerplant chosen may seem great.

What I mean to say is someone could have ticked all the options but never finished the build or screwed the pooch on the build and even though it looks like a great deal it could be a epic mistake. I think I have a lot of research to do.

Well I have nothing but time !

L O T U S
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 07:50 AM

Motard - I met a guy with a red Utima GT on the highway around Johnson City, TN about a year ago when I was returning from the Dragon. I was in my Elise and he asked me to pull over. He also owned an Exige, so it might be the same guy. He checked out my car while I looked at his Ultima. I really liked it and was quite intrigued. The looks are polarizing, but like you I found the whole package and concept very appealing. He quoted a price of $80k used if I remember right.

He told me about the Snake and invited me to join him and his friends (all Lotus owners) on a future group drive there. I have since returned to sample that road as well, though it wasn't with him. Nice guy and a real enthusiast. Great roads around there too.

"It corners like a housefly!"

05 Lotus Elise
13 Fiat Abarth
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craig View Post
I don't get it. What do you mean the wing is a little much?
I think he is referring to the large wing hanging off the back. My personal preference for the SLC is no wing at all.
Attached Images

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 08:43 AM

Thanks TedR,

Actually, my comment was a poor attempt at sarcasm. I guess it didn't work.
chiarov and Habious like this.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 08:46 AM

Motard,

Our local dealer had an Ultima GTR listed a few years back and it did look sweet on their website but I never saw it in person. Of course it is long gone. I too though liked the look.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzydee View Post
Check out the Elan NP01. Another kit car option. Think it can be finished for less than $80K and is designed for NASA racing. Not a street car though. Uses a Mazda engine and sequential gearbox and parts from other off the shelf applications. If you build it your self they're upper $60s. Not bad for a race car. Also designed to be cheap to race. Kind of a an average Joe's race car.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/el...ar-review/amp/
The problem is I am a couple seconds faster around COTA then they are in my exige, so I doubt anyone would be very happy making the switch.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other Cars and Comparisons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in